U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,060,108 times
Oh I loved DQ when I was growing up! What a treat!

p.s. don't judge all Texans by a few not so nice ones.... I'm from Texas and I'm lovely!
I'm not going to go back through this thread just let's not get personal going forward. If someone says something offensive, report it if I don't catch it. Other mods will take care of things. We all share in that duty.

(I feel like schoolteacher here...LOL)

Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM

5,080 posts, read 2,677,874 times
Yes DQ = dairy queen. Harry did you used to skate at the rink behind it? I used to as well.. My sister worked there too.. we may know one another after all. The DQ had closed for about 2 years and then reopened recently. the Grocery Store ( Smiths ) is gone now. Still waiting for someone to buy it and turn it into something new. Oh yeah there is a huge strip mall behind the DQ there now. With a Mexican food resturant, a tire place, a coffee shop, a EP fitness and a few other things there.

p.s. I hope your not saying im not nice.. because I am LLD. Can I have a gold star next to my name teach? lol.

P.S.S. harry do you remember when that was Rushfair Mall, and it had the pebble walk/halls in it, with the post office and dance hall. There were other things there too.. I can recall my grand mother taking me there every weekend for something.. but what I dont recall.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,219,217 times
Diversity is in the eye of the beholder.

My hometown, a near suburb of NYC has over 80 languages spoken in its homes.

The school district is 80% black. So is it diverse or not? According to the criteria given above... maybe?

My first impression upon moving to Albuquerque was that is was the whitest most middle America place I had ever been in my life. It sure was a culture shock.

ABQConvict

Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 PM

2,355 posts, read 4,813,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My first impression upon moving to Albuquerque was that is was the whitest most middle America place I had ever been in my life. It sure was a culture shock.

ABQConvict
No, that would be Plano TX. Or at least that's what I thought when I moved there.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:24 AM

627 posts, read 1,378,317 times
I've lived in several states and so far NM is my favorite, Tx a close second.
Tx could win, except I hate the weather there. Now I don't think I could drive the interstates being out of practice with big traffic.

I was born in Napa Ca in the 60's and lived there a few years.
Rumor had it there was a black family living in the county somewhere. Never met anyone of color that I could tell. As an adult I realized there were people of color, I just didn't know any different. Like my teacher from India. I still remember her perfume and colorful dresses.
Moved to ABQ young, everyone had a great suntan. Fell in love with Carlos the neighbor boy. What a tan!
Moved to Tx. and met lots of people of color. That was a shock for me.
After working in customer service in a very busy place with all kinds of different ethnic backgrounds, I did line up my generalized(always exceptions) favorites and least. Whites did not make the top of my list.
Moved to Ok, it was ok except the weather. I did have hillbilly friends and we'd go get poke? salad for dinner in the fields to eat with salt pork for breakfast. I couldn't tell the difference from that and the pot weeds. oops, was pulling the wrong stuff.
Went back to Napa, was older and realized those people were hard to live with.
Once you leave and get an accent, to them, everyone is an Okie. Got sick of that and left. By the way half my family still live in Napa. I never fit in again with the new Tx accent, seldom go to visit.

Moved to Fayetteville NC, whoa! Lock your doors at a stop light! Got the heck out of that town as fast as I could. Not to mention everything had sarukraut on it. Gross! Moved to MD, thought I was moving "up north". Finally in a small little country town on the eastern shore. I was all excited the people would be so nice. I'll tell you, those people were meaner than hell! Small town and mean people? Never heard of such a thing. But I did love the crab feasts.

All of this is generalized, I did meet great people everywhere in my travels.

Came back to NM 8 years ago now.
The town is a dump and everything is brown. The grass and even the houses. I just griped, brown brown brown! Everything is brown! Shops closed for lunch, close early on Friday, open late on Monday and closed on weekends and every dog gone holiday! Forget anyone showing up when they say they will, or even calling you back. Yeah, culture shock! What? Red or Green? What the heck is that? Give me real mexican food like they have in Tx! The slow pace of life, which by the way, you CANNOT speed up drove me INSANE!
At first I hated it here but knew I had to find something I loved about this town and state or I would just go nuts.

I figured it out! The people are great. You're never a stranger here. White, black, yellow, purple or just moved to town, everyone is treated as if they were family. The people are very warm, caring and welcoming right off the bat. Most of my customers are from out of state and their only complaint is, everyone waves at them and their hand gets tired waving back! I say, yep, you better wave or you'll hear about it later if they catch you in the store!
I've learned to love the brown grass as I've learned what a special type grass it is. We have the best weather ever, and I don't lock my doors when I drive to Abq. Hardly any traffic, seldom a tornado, low humidity and never a hurricain. 2 months of 80-90 degrees and just enough humidity where you don't need chapstick everyday. Then July comes and it can be like spring. Rain, rain, rain, give me rain! We green up and wildflowers everywhere! Wear a T shirt in Dec.
I've not been to many states, but out of all the states I've lived in, this is the best. Today I had tacos with green and yummy red chili, and tonight I had a green chili omelet. My kids ask when we're going to move, and I let them know we're not. You can't find a better place to live. Grow up, get a job and move if you want. I'll be right here if you want to visit enjoying the people and the weather.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 AM

15 posts, read 27,043 times
Smile looking for a good place to raise a family in NM

Hi keeperk - since you are in real estate maybe you can help me a little bit. My husband is seriously considering moving to NM, he's tired of the cold winters of Chicago. We are planing to take a trip downthere in the spring to check out the place. What places would you suggest are good to raise a family. We have 3 children (16, 9 and 4), my husband is a nurse so we have to be close to a good hospital were he can work. We would be looking to buy a house in the $200 -250K range.

Thank you!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,185 times
Unhappy i'm sorry albuquerque

I must apologize to your great city because when i visited in aug. i was a backpacker. My wife and I didn't intend to scare anyone with our backpack that we like to carry. Containing our camera,a map,a bottle of water and yes a bag of trail mix.Living in NY and in our many travels we must say your city is 1 of the best and be proud.Once again sorry for the backpack.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:46 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,871,274 times
Huh? Whats so bad about a back pack

Old 09-15-2007, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,185 times
read earlier in the thread someone felt threatened by people with backpacks

Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 PM

49 posts, read 156,815 times
I recently moved to the NYC are, but I lived in Minnesota for the past 11 years and I have to say, Lukeache does not speak for Minnesota.

While much of the midwest is not quite as diverse as places like NYC and NM, it's not all white and the white people aren't all racist. Mpls is one of the most educated cities in the US, and it's a rather liberal and tolerant place, overall.

Last edited by LLD; 09-21-2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: removed personal commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque