Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 PM

39 posts, read 160,546 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to NM before summer. I was told by a coworker that Rio Rancho or Sandia Heights would be the best place to start looking. The thing is...Im moving from Southern California for my children to be closer to their father but I know absolutely nobody there. Is Rio Rancho/Abq a friendly place? Im a single mom who doesnt want to end up alone with 50 cats a year from now to keep me company lol. Id like to move to an area that has a strong social network, great schools, low crime...pretty much what everyone looks for in a new town. Id really appreciate any info you could give me. Im pretty nervous about taking such a big leap but its time to get out of SoCal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 02:11 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,800 times
I would say Sandia Heights,but its a little more expensive, but Albuquerque and Rio Rancho is a good choice.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,212 times
Well what do you mean by social network? Do you mean friends or singles stuff? I'd say singles stuff is not very well developed in Albuquerque. But as far as social networks of friends etc -- lots of very nice people and friendly people and tons of families and people with kids. So getting involved in all the chidlren's activities will mostly likely bring friendships and inclusion in things.

Rio Rancho is very nice, I live there. But it is a bedroom community about 30 minutes from downtwon. It's newer than Sandia Heights. Sandia Heights is definitely more expensive but well established and there are probably more amenities. It is part of Albuquerque but a bit off the freeway so it might even take 30 minutes to get downtown depending where you live. If you like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's it is much closer to get there living in Sandia Hegihts -- although they both say they are building places on the West Side where Rio Rancho is.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:29 PM

212 posts, read 689,168 times
I grew up in Albuquerque, and lived in both the Heights and Rio Rancho. Rio Rancho is very nice, but personally, I prefer the Heights. Accommodation is a little pricey, but it's not like Rio Rancho is much cheaper. Also, in turn for your pricey accommodation, you'll have better and easier access to more resources in the Heights (plenty of buses, lots of different routes, plenty of stores, restaurants, etc.) than you would in Rio Rancho.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 AM

39 posts, read 160,546 times
All: Thank You for the info

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,093 times
Smile Moving to Albuquerque

Hi all, we're going to be moving out to there in the spring either Albq or Rio Rancho. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me where is the best places in either city. We don't know anybody out there and we are just going to packing and moving out there so we where wondering if anybody could help us out.

Thanks Ken

Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Going to need a lot more specific info from you to make actual recommendations:

-Where is your job?
-Do you like commuting more than 15/20 min?
-Is Foothills access importaint to your lifestyle?
-What is your housing budget?
-Urban, downtown or rural tastes?
-Schoolchild age kids?
--Public or private schools?
-Public transportation or private auto?
-Livestock?
-Worried about black helicopters and/or aliens?
-Red or green?

Last edited by N8!; 12-14-2011 at 05:40 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
We moved from southern NJ to Albuquerque in 2006, long long drive!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 18,414 times
We moved here in 2009. We moved straight to Rio Rancho. Its more like a suburb. Very low housing costs in Rio Rancho but higher housing tax. Also higher water cost. There is a lengthy commute depending on where you work and where you need to go. I have heard NE Albuquerque is a great area but you pay much higher rent and mortgage over there. NW Albuqueque is supposed to be great with lower housing costs. I would have to say the schools are rated much higher in Rio Rancho. On a personal note our elementary school uses smart boards in every class room which I love.

But I agree with N8! It all depends on your situation and whats important to you.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
But stock in a company that supplies sunblock. You will be using a LOT of the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque