Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times

Advertisements

So I have this friend whos visiting here.
I said I live in a near suburb of Chicago.
She said there aren't "really" suburbs in ABQ.
Then I googled and South Valley was right next to ABQ
But she says no one considers it a suburb.
And that everyone she's asked says it's part of ABQ.

And I did some searches here and you guys said it was an unincorporated part of the county.

So what? It's not a suburb? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
It depends on how you define suburb. Most people consider a suburb to be reliant on a larger city, and to have a distinct identity instead of a large agglomeration of loose settlements. The south valley meets the former, though I'm not sure it meets the latter. There's a lot of land area involved, and it doesn't have a whole lot of shared history from one end to the other.

A Chicago suburb will typically be incorporated into a city, town, village, whatever. South Valley is not. It's unincorporated, and the majority prefer it that way.

Rio Rancho is a suburb of Albuquerque, and a real one. You could also argue Alameda, Los Ranchos, and Tijeras are suburbs as well. Going a bit further afield, Bosque Farms, Los Lunas, the Rio Communities, The N 14 communities (Sandia Park, etc.), and Edgewood could be arguably called suburbs of Albuquerque.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Edgewood
Well, strangely, Edgewood is not part of the Albuquerque MSA since it is located in Santa Fe County. However, Moriarty IS part of the Albuquerque MSA since the MSA includes Torrance County, despite being located farther away on I-40 than Edgewood.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Rio Rancho is the only place I would consider a suburb of ABQ, it just dosent feel right to call all the others towns in the metro area a suburb of ABQ, they just dont feel like suburbs.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Rio Rancho is the only place I would consider a suburb of ABQ, it just dosent feel right to call all the others towns in the metro area a suburb of ABQ, they just dont feel like suburbs.
What is your definition of a suburb?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Yeah that's what she says. "They don't feel like suburbs" or "Locals don't consider it a suburb"

I don't get how you guys not consider a town near a big city a suburb.

Many towns blend into Chicago here but they are still suburbs.

Once you have to write something else on your mail besides ABQ you are not in city limits, thus a suburb.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Right, and if you were to write a person in the South Valley, you would put Albuquerque. Now if we were talking about Los Ranchos, Corrales, Rio Rancho, Bernalillo, Placitas, Sandia Park, Bosque Farms, et al.....

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What is your definition of a suburb?

its not what my definintion of a suburb is, its just that towns like Cedar Crest,Los Lunas,Belen,Tijeras and Moriarity feel like their own little towns, they are not connected to ABQ, and dont really resemble most suburbs around the country, it just feels kinda weird calling towns in New Mexico suburbs.

when I think of suburbs,I think of what Mesa,Glendale,Peoria and Chandler are to Phoenix.

or what Thronton,Aurora,Englewood, and Broomfield are to Denver.

or what Decatur,East Point,Smyrna,or Sandy Springs is to Atlanta.

or what Arlington,Irving,Plano,Mesquite,Grand Prarie,Lewisville, The Colony or Richardson is to Dalls.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah that's what she says. "They don't feel like suburbs" or "Locals don't consider it a suburb"

I don't get how you guys not consider a town near a big city a suburb.

Many towns blend into Chicago here but they are still suburbs.

Once you have to write something else on your mail besides ABQ you are not in city limits, thus a suburb.
someone who lives in the South Valley still has an Albuquerque address, to me, the South Valley is ABQ.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
someone who lives in the South Valley still has an Albuquerque address, to me, the South Valley is ABQ.
This is not actually unheard of in many unincorporated communities. The South Valley is not part of the City of Albuquerque, it is an unincorporated area of Bernallilo County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque