Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
cap cap started this thread

33 posts, read 71,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am considering a job offer in Albuquerque, but I'm a little concerned about my husband being able to find work if we relocate.

He has 15 years of experience in a skilled manufacturing environment, with glowing references from his employers, but no college degree. I've been doing a little searching online and haven't found much. I really like New Mexico, but if he can't find work it's going to be very difficult for us.

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,459,869 times
You didn't mention what job level your husband has had - e.g., management, assembly, quality control, R&D, etc. One place you could look is to search on Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com or other online job websites, using keyword = manufacturing and locations = Albuquerque, Los Lunas, Belen and Rio Rancho, NM. For example, my son works at the Süd-Chemie plant in Belen, which is currently advertising on Indeed.com for an Operations Manager (see https://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_talenttrack/ext_client4/jobDetails.do?functionName=getJobDetail&jobPostId= 3866&localeCode=en-us (broken link)).

Like many places, good jobs aren't plentiful right now in the ABQ area. It's also not a hotbed of manufacturing. But Rio Rancho has a huge Intel plant, Belen has some smaller facilities, ABQ has a number of smaller plants, etc. And the smaller plants I would think may be less focused on requiring a college degree. Just depends on how well your husband's skills match any needs that are out there. With 15 years of skilled experience, I think he would stand a much better chance of getting a position than most folks, who don't have this kind of experience, although he would obviously be competing against possible in-house hires. And out-of-state hires are always harder than getting hired locally.

A big question is whether very many local manufacturing companies are hiring these days. Not sure very many posters on this forum have much insight into that, unless someone knows of a specific situation at an individual company.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

He started out running a production line and is currently in a supervisory role, although he is not too proud to go back to the factory floor if that's what is needed. He's been with the same company for 15 years and understands that starting at a new place may mean starting lower on the ladder.

I did come across the Intel plant in my searches, I wonder how hard it is to get in there. That kind of a job would be almost ideal, really.

Thanks for the response!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM

141 posts, read 221,429 times
I would suggest he sign up with an employment agency. A lot of manufacturing employers hire through them these days. That's been pretty much how I've got in with the companies I've worked for over the last decade. A resume would be very helpful as well

Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Y For example, my son works at the Süd-Chemie plant in Belen, which is currently advertising on Indeed.com for an Operations Manager (see https://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_talenttrack/ext_client4/jobDetails.do?functionName=getJobDetail&jobPostId= 3866&localeCode=en-us (broken link)).
Oh, this looks like a good position. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
I would suggest he sign up with an employment agency. A lot of manufacturing employers hire through them these days. That's been pretty much how I've got in with the companies I've worked for over the last decade. A resume would be very helpful as well
Do you mean a company like Manpower or Kelly Services? I hadn't considered that, thanks.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,530,074 times
You might check at USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site . Various jobs at Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuqurque.

Rich

Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 AM

141 posts, read 221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Do you mean a company like Manpower or Kelly Services? I hadn't considered that, thanks.
yes, exactly!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 PM

29 posts, read 71,095 times
I work in the semiconductor manufacturing industry an we get new employees strictly from temp agencies. After a 90 day period, if you find that you enjoy working with us and we like you, the company makes a job offer and you are hired. Most of the folks working with me now started with the temp agencies.

We use Aerotek Staffing Agency: Industry Leading Recruiting and Staffing Services for our staffing needs.

I believe we will be hiring more "temps" soon.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM

102 posts, read 288,086 times
General Mills has a plant in Albuquerque. My fiance works there and they seem to treat their people well. I don't know if they're hiring but it's worth a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque