U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 PM

266 posts, read 839,299 times
Well put, EP. I consider myself very lucky to have grown up here. Fall is also very pretty in the northern part of our state, and a great time to be outdoors IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 PM

86 posts, read 196,525 times
Default Hello there ... Angie from NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
You know, the great thing is that ABQ is great in pretty much any season (and there are four distinct ones)...one of my favorite months in ABQ is actually April - by April, lilacs are already in bloom, leaves are growing / grown on trees, spring has sprung, days are warm and nights still cool. Locals complain quite a bit about the wind, but that occurs only on a few select days and really, I would take some SW'ern winds over the severe rains/storms that most of the rest of the US typically faces in spring. Spring comes early in ABQ and lasts a while.

Summer is actually probably one of my least favorite times in ABQ, but it is still really nice. It just does get fairly warm, however, a summer monsoon is a sight (and smell) to behold and now, living up here in Milwaukee, I miss being able to go out on the cooled-off desert nights relatively mosquito/fly-FREE!

How many places can you be in the U.S. where nearly each of the four seasons is ideal? (That still actually gets each of the four seasons!)...
Oh, my goodness... with that description ... I can almost smell the lilacs in the air , feel the warmth of the days and the cool nights and even the wind on my face! Can you believe it that summer is almost over here in NH? Well, of course, I'm sure you DO believe it. I can't wait for us to move there .... EnjoyEP, I'm sure that, before you know .... you and your family will be back in the "Land of Enchantment/Entrapment". My husband and I have already scheduled our second trip back there in January. We are going to see NM in winter now. We want to drive around, look at more houses and get a better idea of some other areas, although I still have Cedar Crest in my mind. I know the snow will never be as bad as here and, actually, what scares me more than the snow is "the black ice." I see so many accidents every winter ... I want to believe that after living in NH for almost 10 years, and please correct me if I'm wrong, winters cannot be too much worse in the Southwest, I mean, if we finally decide to buy a house in the East Mountains area. You know what? There is this really nice girl here who works at Petco, who is originally fron NM. Sometimes I go there to get the Cosmic Catnip for my kitties (I must admit we have a serious drug problem in my family ... my cats are ALL addicted to catnip ... yes, my guys are drugaddicts and mom is the "supplier" ) Now, seriously, when we talk about NM, she says to me: "always remember that there, snow doesn't stay on the ground forever like here, it melts right away, and winter, in general, is nothing like here in NH." So, I want to believe her. She misses NM terribly but her family moved here due to a job transfer or something like that. She definitely wants to go back there and I don't blame her!
We do get four seasons here as well and each one is very unique, particularly fall, when we get the most beautiful colors you can imagine. But in summer ... the humidity kills me, is just unbearable! ... in winter I freeze to death and I spend 6 months bundled up like a bear and walking like a robot with all those layers on me (I'm only 5 feet tall) ... and in spring those little black flies drive me crazy ... Mmm ... I think I'm ready for a change

One last question: is it possible to grow catnip there so I can give my guys "the real thing"? Can I plant it outside or do I need to keep it in a pot and bring it in the house in winter?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:26 PM

6,057 posts, read 6,221,988 times
I agree with everything in the original post except for the use of the word 'ancient' :-)

ABQConvict

Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with everything in the original post except for the use of the word 'ancient' :-)

ABQConvict
Why?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 PM

6,057 posts, read 6,221,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie&Bill View Post
Why?
Because the conventional definition of ancient is predating the fall of Rome (476 A.D.)

If 18th and 19th century is considered ancient, then I grew up in an ancient suburb of New York City.

ABQConvict

Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,871,854 times
Yes, but the Indian Pueblos around the city predate 476 A.D. so yes, it meets the definition of Ancient.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,491 times
Talking ABQ Boomeranger

I recently returned to ABQ after 17 years away. I was born and raised here and hated everything about it until I left. I am now able to see ABQ through the eyes of perspective. I am currently having a love affair with the place.

When I first returned from the DC area, I forgot that people say hi, look you in the eye and smile. No more, "What are you looking at?" I happily readjusted.

While the initial presentation of "brown" is a bit shocking, it doesn't take long to start appreciating all the vistas have to offer. They can be breathtaking! The shadows and colors of a sunrise and a sunset can make the same view completely different from minute to minute.

And the weather! Oye! I just can't gush enough about the weather. Distinct seasons with mild winters and mild summers.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,871,854 times
Well I am very glad that you saw Albuquerque through new eyes. It has changed quite a bit hasn't it?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,491 times
Default East Mountains and Change

It has changed for the better. Downtown isn't too scary anymore. The East Mountains actually has a water system in many places and the dirt roads I remember have been paved! And where the heck did High Desert and N. ABQ ACRES appear from!?

For the person considering Cedar Crest, the snow will not bother you. I have never been to NH, but I can't imagine our snow amounts would alarm you. Black ice is pretty rare compared to sheets and sheets of it in the East. When I lived in Richmond and heard about an "ice storm" for the first time, I was completely amazed. You mean it ices? In NM it rains (HARD) or it snows. What is this ice you speak of?

The motto here is "Give it a day and it will all go away." Last winter was the exception. That took a couple of days.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Raver View Post

For the person considering Cedar Crest, the snow will not bother you. I have never been to NH, but I can't imagine our snow amounts would alarm you.
The person considering Cedar Crest ? That would be me!
Well, what you say makes me feel better. That is what I keep thinking ... after living in NH for almost 10 years ... I don't think it can get worse weather ... not so much for the snow but it's the cold and the ice .... the cold that drags forever that I can't stand anymore!
We are going back to NM in January and we still want to look at more houses in Cedar Crest, we would also like to drive around Tijeras to get a better idea of the area ... but we still like CC a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque