U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-02-2007, 06:13 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,552,952 times

Advertisements

Angie&Bill - concerned about black ice - related:

> ... I still want to believe that it does not last on the ground for as
> long as here in NH. Sometimes ... ice stays on the streets forever ...

You'll find that although 'it' doesn't hang out on the streets and
sidewalks for long, the North sides of walls, trees, curbs, abandoned
automobiles, bushes, can retain snow for weeks after a good snowfall.

Even when almost all the snow and ice are gone from the streets,
what can happen is that unsublimated snow can melt a bit and send a
trickle of water to low spots in the street that later freeze at night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,976,139 times
All of you people who have happily moved to Albuquerque are making me count the months and days (well not literally the days) before I can move there. Can't say that I'm looking forward to the job hunt though. Argh. I've had the same job for almost 15 years. But anyway, while I know it's by no means a perfect place, I'm really looking forward to coming out there.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,065,890 times
Well ApartmentNomad, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you so that you can find a job easily and that Albuquerque is everything you want it to be.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,334,869 times
I really am enjoying this thread...

I love Albuquerque and it's so nice to read posts by other people who love the city as well.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 PM

86 posts, read 206,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
All of you people who have happily moved to Albuquerque are making me count the months and days (well not literally the days) before I can move there. I'm really looking forward to coming out there.
Well ... we are also counting the days ... until mid January, when we are going back to look for more houses, drive around other areas that we did not have time to look more in detail when we visited in June and ... get a taste of the East Mountains area in winter ... so, I'll get to see everything the "invisible friends " in this forum tell me about, with regards to the snow and the ice. And from then, I'm sure we will be counting the days for the big move ... We feel very fortunate that my husband's job does not require him to be in one place. He has been with the same company for over 25 years and he calls himself "a road warrior", he is an engineer who travels a lot so our move will not affect his job at all. We were hoping the company would help us with the move ... I know, I how, how naive, eh? ... but corporate America gave us the raspberries so, we are now saving as much as possible because I'm pretty sure the move it's going to cost a lot of money, let alone the fact that we will have to rent an RV to travel with our menagerie, 6 meows and 1 small woof, so we can all sleep together at night and minimize the stress, particularly for the kittycats ... it's going to be quite a project !!!
So, good luck to you, ApartmentNomad ... and don't worry too much about finding THE job you want... if there is something out there that is for you ... it's going to come to you ... and if it's really meant to be for you ... it's going to come easy ...

Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 PM

86 posts, read 206,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Angie&Bill - concerned about black ice - related:

Even when almost all the snow and ice are gone from the streets,
what can happen is that unsublimated snow can melt a bit and send a
trickle of water to low spots in the street that later freeze at night.
I'll remember that, Morty ...
BTW, previously, you said something about abandoned cars ... now, I have a question out of pure ignorance ... why are there so many cars on the side of the road that look like abandoned or broken down or something like that? I had never seen that before and it caught my eye! Not only on Highway 25 when driving to and from Santa Fe to ABQ but also on other main roads. Do you have an answer for me?
Angie

Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,976,139 times
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 733 times
Thank you so much for your great thoughts about Albuquerque. Myself, my husband and our 6 1/2-year-old daughter are in the process of choosing a place to live, and we're looking for a strong location for him to start a surgical practice. On paper (and in photos!), everything looks so promising about Albuquerque (not to mention all of the "Top Places to Live" reports)...but then I started reading about the crimes, gangs and drug problems and I got really depressed. I think I have done TOO MUCH internet research, and now I am in overload mode. It's good to know the whole picture of what's going on in a city...but now I am re-thinking my original wonderful view of ABQ. Should I be worried about the crime and gangs and drugs? Should I be nervous about my daughter growing up there? Is it really that different from other cities its size in terms of crime? And is the school system really that bad? (I researched a few possible private schools, like Manzano Day School and Escuela Montessori which look great). We already have tickets to visit around Thanksgiving to get a feel for the place first-hand, and we're hoping our discussions with commercial real-estate people (at Mesa del Sol and other places) will help us figure out if this is a good fit. Please provide any advice (and reassurance, if possible) to help in our decision...

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 AM

72 posts, read 122,216 times
Crime here tends to get blown out of proportion. Albuquerque is like any other city it's size as far as crime goes. People here who flip out over the crime need to visit Miami or Chicago.

Yes, the schools here tend to be sub-par, but they are improving. There are some great private schools also if you can afford it (Menaul School, Hope Christian, St Pius, Albuquerque Academy, Sandia Prep). I would recommend considering each school individually, as APS is very hit or miss.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 AM

28 posts, read 47,362 times
Default On my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

Yeah, that is the tough thing about ABQ...a "hidden gem"...you ("you" meaning you, me, and everyone else) want people to know how great it is...but you don't want 'em to know that either, so they don't all flock there and ruin it (Phoenix-style). OK, I will try to be only semi-enthusiastic from now on!
I am just about to "flock" there, leaving this Thurs or Fri!! I promise not to ruin it, just to try to contribute to what's good. (You don't work for the chamber of commerce do you?) Anyway packing up a house and driving over 1900 miles with dog and cat is daunting but it gives me a real boost to read your enthusiastic entries. I should be there (hopefullyl for good) by Nov.10. Thanks for all your great advice, can't wait to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque