U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM

699 posts, read 1,933,968 times
Goodman Reality Group bought the property about 6 months ago, so the original renovation plans were axed. He said he still wants to revitalize the site, but has far less capital to do something grand as was originally planned. I don't expect anything to start happening for at least 2 years.

On another note, General Growth Properties (GGP) which owns Coronado wanted to spend $25-30 million renovating that property which would have added and upscale mix of stores to the east end.............well the city shot that down a few years back and I doubt they will ever try to spruce that up again. That was a very, very bad move by the incompetent City Council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
Lightbulb Store Location map

My recollection is that the area marked Kresge was actually the Safeway location, and the marked Safeway location was actually Penny's. Certainly the Safeway and Penny's were close together, on the West side of Winrock. S.S. Kresge was definitely on the south side of the enclosed corridor, more towards Ward's than not.

There was a Zales jewelers right on the corner north side of the "enclosed corridor" next to the "open court" area; and a short distance behind (north) also on a corner was Toys by Roy. The area marked J.C. Penny was I believe Fedway's.

The Cinema was approximately where the current sixplex is, separated some distance to the North , and freestanding, of the shopping center. It was originally a Cinerama theatre, and then specialized (due to its enormous screen) in showing widescreen movies such as ""Lawrence of Arabia", "Ice Station Zebra" and "2001: A Sapce Odessy".

I can honestly say that the original single screen theatre offered the finest and best movie experience possible in the late 60s, easily the equal of any of the great theatres such as the Chinese or Cinerama Dome. The theatre was subsequently twinned, and was a quite mediocre 6-plex the last time I saw it.

Hope this helps towards map completion, and serves to jog some more memories!

Cheers

Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,795 times
Hello Everyone
I do not know much about winrock from the past but i do often go there to walk or read but when i went this weekend i found out that they have started doing something with the mall they had the doors open on one of the boarded off sections and they were putting all the tress and plants in there and stacking up all the benches and even defacing some of the stores i didn't talk to any of the people that were in there but i think maybe they are getting ready to close it or maybe start a renovation.....any ideas????

P.S. here is a picture i took while i was there
sorry itsblury but u can still see whats going on.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:09 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,955,455 times
hmm, Interesting lilj69x. Hmm, I have no idea what is going on but would die to know.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:22 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,311,056 times
I heard a couple days ago they are going to film a movie in Winrock,so maybe thats what they are setting up for.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I heard a couple days ago they are going to film a movie in Winrock,so maybe thats what they are setting up for.
its funny that u said that i was actually thinking it was for a movies cuz there was alot of people there and those big white trailers iwas thinking there either a movies or its closing ha ha koo koo any ideas what kind of movie??

Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,311,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilj69x View Post
its funny that u said that i was actually thinking it was for a movies cuz there was alot of people there and those big white trailers iwas thinking there either a movies or its closing ha ha koo koo any ideas what kind of movie??

yeah,its a comedy starring the guy with the lead roll in Knocked Up and he's also in the 40 Year Old Virgin,I just dont remember his name.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,441 times
I'm Roy Ater's daughter-in-law. My husband Alan and I live in Denver. Roy (Reverdie was his given name) died in August of 2001. His wife Jean died in 2005. My husband spent many years working at the stores in Winrock. Did you know it was named for Winthrop Rockefeller who was the developer (as my husband remembers it).

Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM

I also think we have some old photos of the store. Let me know if anyone's interested and I'll find them.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 AM

Are you still looking for Winrock info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque