Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM

44 posts, read 90,441 times

Advertisements

Great News. Just got a notice in the mail that ABQ is delivering Blue, Roll-out, Curbside Recycling Bins at the end of March. I live in Nob Hill, so this is something new for our area. The notice also states that ABQ will be increasing the number of items to be recycled. No more messing with those annoying recycling bags and bundling cardboard, whoo-hoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
That's especially comforting considering this time of year pickup happens much more promptly than normal, what with the high winds lifting your bags and transporting them somewhere else.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
... high winds lifting your bags and transporting them somewhere else.
... not if you crunch your stuff.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM

44 posts, read 90,441 times
Here's a link to the details & neighborhoods involved in the pilot program
Curbside Recycling With A Cart — City of Albuquerque

Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
About time. I'm looking forward to having a functional recycling system around here.

But, a pilot program in selected neighborhoods!?! Really? Isn't the success of expanded bin recycling in every other major city pilot enough? Just roll it out to the whole city already...

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
I got the letter too. It takes me more than a month to half fill a plastic bag, maybe a year for one of these carts? Can't tell how big they're going to be.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
But, a pilot program in selected neighborhoods!?! Really? Isn't the success of expanded bin recycling in every other major city pilot enough? Just roll it out to the whole city already...
I don't think it's pilot in order to acquaint the households with how to put their stuff in blue bins versus bags, but more pilot in order to retain and train workers to pick it up (yeah, that's easy when you bring one new guy on.. but 100?)

I also think maybe they need a different garbage truck rig and either:

a) manufacturer can't provide the city with all of them at once
or
b) whoever manages trash pickup can't justify paying for them all at once

Bender: "What do you say when someone does something nice for you?"
Orphan: "BOUT TIME!"
Bender: "That's my boy."

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I got the letter too. It takes me more than a month to half fill a plastic bag, maybe a year for one of these carts? Can't tell how big they're going to be.
Wow. Are you by yourself? We have the recycling cart at my house in Paradise Hills. It is run by Waste Management. We fill the cart (which is the size of a normal trash can) every two weeks. Then again there are 3 of us in the house and we run a business out of our home also.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
is it a manditory program?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
is it a manditory program?
Mandatory as in you have to put your recyclables in there, no.
Mandatory as in can you still put as much as you want in bags instead of the can, probably.

Since about half by volume of what my household gets rid of qualifies as recyclable, I treat it as a second bonus garbage can that doesn't require a significant amount of extra sorting.

The thing to watch out for is when they start downsizing the regular garbage cans. Some municipalities have gotten really aggressive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque