Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,034,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
... was able to drive SAFELY at a SANE pace, was welcomed and more than able to spend
time to talking to people I came across EVERYWHERE - VERSUS - (*in Albuquerque)
Feeling like I was either going to be driven off the road when I ventured out ...
This was totally NOT my experience. In Phoenix.

I was once almost run off the road by a blue-hair going, easily, 20 mph over the speed limit.
( I know that's just an anecdotal example, but it sticks with me. )

Phoenix drivers are fast, agressive and everywhere. I lived there from 2000 through 2007.

I'm going to call Biz901 completely and thoroughly unreliable in their reporting and therefore unbelievable.

I've had it with their Albuquerque reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,146,994 times
Reminds me of a parable I once heard.

There once was a man who went across the country looking for the perfect place to live. Lots of places were welcoming, with open arms, but he wasn't interested. They weren't perfect.

Eventually, after much searching, the man found the perfect place, but the locals wouldn't accept him or his family. They were looking for the perfect man.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 AM

4,949 posts, read 7,311,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
This was totally NOT my experience. In Phoenix.

I was once almost run off the road by a blue-hair going, easily, 20 mph over the speed limit.
( I know that's just an anecdotal example, but it sticks with me. )

Phoenix drivers are fast, agressive and everywhere. I lived there from 2000 through 2007..
Same experience here, I ended up driving on the Pima freeway a lot, the traffic was consistently 15-20 over the speed limit, and I lost count of how many lanes there were. Tons of traffic everywhere. There's something about that city, the more you drive, the more you seem to be not going anywhere.

I went to a concert in Tempe at ASU one night, and the next day I found out there'd been a shooting outside a different concert (a rap concert, the same night in Tempe) where 14 people were injured. I don't recall anything like that ever happening in ABQ. I'm glad to be back home.

But now that we know some more about Biz901 I'm kinda glad we scared him off.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM

350 posts, read 765,945 times
Utah happy "John Carter" was filmed there; Gov. touts film industry credits: Utah Thanks 'John Carter' For Creating Jobs, Infusing Almost $20 Million into State Economy - The Hollywood Reporter

Of course, it is from a Hollywood publication. But the press release came from Utah government.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
Utah happy "John Carter" was filmed there; Gov. touts film industry credits: Utah Thanks 'John Carter' For Creating Jobs, Infusing Almost $20 Million into State Economy - The Hollywood Reporter

Of course, it is from a Hollywood publication. But the press release came from Utah government.
Movies have been filmed throughout the world, in a variety of locations, given to one term "Spaghetti Westerns"

So what's your point?

The article (Dated Mar 12, 2012) also said:

Quote:
"We are looking forward to the next Disney production that will come our way this summer with the filming of The Lone Ranger in Utah and surrounding Western States," said Utah Film Commission director Marshall Moore, referring to the forthcoming Jerry Bruckheimer movie co-starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer.

The Lone Ranger, slated for release in May 2013, has also been hampered by financial issues; production shut down in August due to budget bloat, but following some cuts, the film was back in the saddle a month later.
New Mexico is one of those "surrounding Western States"...

And the Lone Ranger, which was slated for release in May 2013 was hampered by financial issues, production was shut down in August due to budget bloat...

That is Hollywood folks! It is a fast and furious business which is constantly burdened with financial losses on one side and millions going to the special people on the other side.

I also noticed in the same Website: 15 Biggest Box Office Flops of 2011: THR Year In Review "Cowboys & Aliens" which was filmed in New Mexico. (I saw it and liked it). http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gal...flops-205951#5

Rich

Old 03-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Movies have been filmed throughout the world, in a variety of locations, given to one term "Spaghetti Westerns"

So what's your point?

The article (Dated Mar 12, 2012) also said:

New Mexico is one of those "surrounding Western States"...

And the Lone Ranger, which was slated for release in May 2013 was hampered by financial issues, production was shut down in August due to budget bloat...

That is Hollywood folks! It is a fast and furious business which is constantly burdened with financial losses on one side and millions going to the special people on the other side.

I also noticed in the same Website: 15 Biggest Box Office Flops of 2011: THR Year In Review "Cowboys & Aliens" which was filmed in New Mexico. (I saw it and liked it). 15 Biggest Box Office Flops of 2011: THR Year In Review Gallery - The Hollywood Reporter

Rich
Well, Rich, the point is other states seem to acknowledge the local benefits of having big prodcution films made nearby. Isn't that what everyone's been arguing about on here for months? I'm not siding with anyone - just thought it was an interesting example of a state's leadership giving an opinion that doesn't seem to match up with many opinions given here.

Also, I think the Lone Ranger is alive and well and filming right now: 'The Lone Ranger' rides again in New Mexico - latimes.com

Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Quote:
Well, Rich, the point is other states seem to acknowledge the local benefits of having big prodcution films made nearby.
The point in this case is one company... New Mexico is not trying to eliminate film industry. This small production crew does not mean "doomsday" there are still companies here doing film work.

Do you want to waste New Mexico taxpayer money for the sole purpose of saying, "Oh weeeee, they make film's in new Mexico" (The film industry has existed here since before New Mexico was a state...)

Sony Pictures Imageworks to leave New Mexico - New Mexico Business Weekly

Quote:
Isn't that what everyone's been arguing about on here for months?
No. This thread started 12 days ago, not months ago. It was Sony Pictures Imageworks to leave New Mexico - New Mexico Business Weekly . One small production segment... But maybe all film dicussion should be put in one big thread, so that all posts might make more sense...

Quote:
I'm not siding with anyone - just thought it was an interesting example of a state's leadership giving an opinion that doesn't seem to match up with many opinions given here.
This is basically what the "leadership" is saying:
Film makers who spend a dollar making a movie in New Mexico will get 25 cents back. The old deal had no limit but last year, Martinez compromised with lawmakers and got the $50 million cap.

"I will not sign a bill that changes what is in law and in place right now," Martinez said. "I want predictability for the film industry and they have received predictability and I think they really appreciate the fact that there is predictability. It allows us to formulate a budget and balance the budget."
The entire article and video which has been on our local news: Martinez warns lawmakers concerned with film industry rebates | KOB.com[/quote]

Quote:
Also, I think the Lone Ranger is alive and well and filming right now: 'The Lone Ranger' rides again in New Mexico - latimes.com
Does it look like Governor Martinez is trying to kill the film industry?:
January 13, 2012 SANTA FE – Governor Susana Martinez and the New Mexico Film Office announced today that Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films’ The Lone Ranger, directed by Gore Verbinski and starring Johnny Depp, will begin principal photography in New Mexico in February 2012, with production planned in and around Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Shiprock and other locations around the state through the middle of August 2012.
“The Lone Ranger is proof that New Mexico’s film industry is alive and well,” said Governor Martinez.
You can read the entire article here: :: New Mexico Film (http://www.nmfilm.com/article.php?id=1705 - broken link)

Rich

Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM

184 posts, read 802,591 times
Just reported ! News about NM TV/Film biz just reported in today's NM BizJournal March 12 2012 - Passing this along! Skyszlimit

Dennis Quaid to shoot CBS pilot on Ralph Lamb - New Mexico Business Weekly

A pilot for a new show on CBS starring Dennis Quaid and Michael Chiklis will begin filming in New Mexico this month, according to several online sites and other sources. The show is still untitled, but is going by the name “Ralph Lamb Project.”
It is based on the true story of Ralph Lamb, a longtime sheriff in Las Vegas, Nev., who took on the mob, and will be represented in the show by Michael Chiklis, according to the Hollywood Reporter .

The Santa Fe New Mexican reported that the pilot will shoot at Santa Fe Studios. Jon Hendry, business agent for the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 480, confirmed that and said more than 100 people are working on the production, including the filming crew and those doing construction, location work and other tasks. He said the shoot is slated to start by March 19. The owners of Santa Fe Studios were not immediately available for comment. Officials with the New Mexico Film Office said they could not comment. The site On Location Vacations reports that other cast members include Carrie-Anne Moss, best known for “The Matrix,” and Taylor Handley from “The O.C.”

Hendry said the production will shoot in Las Vegas, N.M., and in Albuquerque. The show is set in the 1960s, but it was difficult to find scenes that evoke that era in Las Vegas, Nev., he added.
The Facebook page for On Location Casting gives the shoot dates as between March 21 and April 11. It notes that the production is seeking 1960s-era vehicles (http://tinyurl.com/7nykuq7 - broken link), as well as male motorcycle riders (http://tinyurl.com/6skmdn2 - broken link) between 18 and 50 years old, but not overly tattooed.

In addition to this production,“Longmire” from the A&E network is due to start shooting around Santa Fe this month.

Hendry said more than 250 New Mexico crew are working on “The Lone Ranger,” which is shooting now.
Fans got a sneak peek of the rebooted Lone Ranger and Tonto (played by Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp) from photos released by Walt Disney Studios last week.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The point in this case is one company... New Mexico is not trying to eliminate film industry. This small production crew does not mean "doomsday" there are still companies here doing film work.

Do you want to waste New Mexico taxpayer money for the sole purpose of saying, "Oh weeeee, they make film's in new Mexico" (The film industry has existed here since before New Mexico was a state...)
I'm referring to the industry as a whole and commenting in reference to much of the talk in this thread and others that has pretty much been totally anti-film. I don't think the Sony crew made much of a difference here, being such a small orgainzation with limited staff.

Quote:
No. This thread started 12 days ago, not months ago. It was Sony Pictures Imageworks to leave New Mexico - New Mexico Business Weekly . One small production segment... But maybe all film dicussion should be put in one big thread, so that all posts might make more sense......
People have been arguing about this topic for months, maybe even more than a year on the City-Data ABQ forum. Most of the same folks have been talking about it across several threads.

Quote:
Does it look like Governor Martinez is trying to kill the film industry?:
January 13, 2012 SANTA FE – Governor Susana Martinez and the New Mexico Film Office announced today that Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films’ The Lone Ranger, directed by Gore Verbinski and starring Johnny Depp, will begin principal photography in New Mexico in February 2012, with production planned in and around Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Shiprock and other locations around the state through the middle of August 2012.
“The Lone Ranger is proof that New Mexico’s film industry is alive and well,” said Governor Martinez.
You can read the entire article here: :: New Mexico Film (http://www.nmfilm.com/article.php?id=1705 - broken link)
Right. I pointed out that the movie was actually in production after you said it had been shut down in August. I'm not concerned with the Governor - she seems to at least grasp the basic face-value benefit of having films made here. Again, my comments were made toward all the anti-film talk that took up most of the first two pages of this thread.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,034,599 times
Quote:
... talk in this thread and others that has pretty much been totally anti-film ...
There has been no anti-film talk in this thread or any other thread.
Quote:
... all the anti-film talk that took up most of the first two pages of this thread.
I can't imagine that people would not be universally in favor of the
film industry doing business in this state. I'm certainly glad to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque