U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 AM

751 posts, read 126,042 times

Advertisements

Here is my two cents! I hate to say this but my personal experience is that many Mexicans and Mexican Americans are extremely racist towards African Americans. I am not going to say that all Mexicans and Mexican Americans are racist, but in a way, it is very much part of the culture. Since Albuquerque is heavily Hispanic, the type of attitude described by the African American "What are you doing here?" perfect illustrates my point. I wish this type of prejudice was just a form of "elitism", but even your illegals from small farm towns in Mexico can be extremely racist.

Last edited by LLD; 09-14-2007 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: edited out examples of derogatory Spanis terms

Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,548,734 times
lukeache correctly reported:

> many Mexicans and Mexican Americans are extremely racist
> towards African Americans.

You forgot the bit about :

Many White (or Anglos as you prefer) Americans are extremely racist
towards African Americans.

Many Mexicans and Mexican Americans are extremely racist
towards Anglos.

Many White Americans are extremely racist
towards Native Americans.

Many African Americans are extremely racist towards Asians.

.... um ... I guess I could keep going .... but I won't.

People who go around looking for others to be bigoted towards them
need to get on with their lives.

Someone was bigoted toward me in the past. Guess what?
It's going to happen again **TO ME** (oh my!) again. Guess what?
I'm not going to paint any group with a broad brush because one
person ( *not* a member ) in that group did something bigoted.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,165,205 times
As has been stated previously, different people have different experiences and all those experiences are valid. It is a bit dangerous though to make sweeping generalizations like "many this or that." It would be more appropriate to say "of those I have encountered" etc.

Racism is a tough subject and an emotional one so let's be particularly careful in our choice of words. There's no denying there is some racism in Albuquerque, but there isn't evidence of some massive streak either IMO.

Having grown up in Texas (and I'm white), I don't even blink at a large Hispanic population, it's part of what I grew up with. I love the music, the art, the culture, the food, the dancing and yes the language. I think Spanish is beautiful.

Having grown up some of that time in Houston, which has a very large Black, Asian and Hispanic population that was what I was used to. Living in the DC area that expanded to include many other cultures and ethnicities and I just thrive on diversity and multiculturalism. I think it is a true strength.

If you come from a mostly black community to a mostly white community, that could be unnerving. If you come from a mostly white community into a mostly black or mostly Hispanic community that could throw some for a loop too.

What I see in Albuquerque is a large white, Hispanic and Native American blending with much smaller numbers of Asians and AA's. That's the general mix here. If that is not what is the norm for any particular person, they could have some adjustment about fitting in or feeling comfortable etc. And I say "could" because not everyone does. Some people either don't even notice or others just go with the flow. We all have difference experiences, and emotional baggage that contribute to how we adjust and view things.

I want to again caution people about getting personal and making personal judgments on others. Disagreeing is fine, personal flaming is not. And I'm going to also request no comments like "all blacks this" or "many Mexicans that" or "all whites etc." Those kinds of generalizations will only inflame the discussion. Thanks for your understanding.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:02 PM

27,548 posts, read 22,892,450 times
Wow! Never thought of New Mexico in this light. Now I question this place.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:08 PM

7,041 posts, read 7,230,610 times
To expand on lukache's point, there is no Politically Correct admonition in Mexico concerning Blacks and other minority groups.

I work with several Mexicans (more than 2 dozen) and while they are, for the most part, very good people, they are really not up to date on what is appropriate as regards how they refer to people.

Blacks, women and homosexuals tend to get the worst of it.

ABQConvict

Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,165,205 times
I'm going to lock this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque