Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM

56 posts, read 104,043 times

Advertisements

So I moved here in October and despite the fact that I live in the middle of that pretentious shopping utopia known as Uptown, this nerd can't purchase the trinkets her heart desires.

How can you all live without a Fry's or a Microcenter? I see your excitement at the announcements of more chains being built near me but nobody seems to care about the fact that I can't just run out and pick up a 25 foot ethernet cable or a new SCSI controller on a whim. It's a tragedy and nobody is paying attention. Is there some secret super center of all things computer related that maybe I don't know about?

If you have any pull in this matter, please tell TIIC to just say no to the mega-Target and give me a Fry's instead

On an unrelated note, it's been six months now at the Landmark and I still haven't seen a swat team at the Warren. People over there do seem to jaywalk a lot. Pretty scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,057,528 times
Not the size of Fry's or Microcenter but they do have a good selection of PC parts and accessories. Been around for a very long time.

PC Magic Pro - Home

Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,175,944 times
If you're interested in the nuts and bolts end of Fry's selection, check out Electronic Parts Co. (Menaul & Rhode Island NE) or Walker (moved recently to Menaul & Princeton NE). I much prefer the former, as I can recall mentioning to co-workers "the next time I talk about going to Walker, please hit me in the head to help me avoid the aggravation".

An oft-overlooked area of SCSI cards, cables, and single-board computers is the local equipment auction (auctionsouthwest.com). I believe they're having one as I'm typing this. Chances are if you see any used computer parts on eBay shipping out of this area, 90+% of it came from these auctions. If you want something specific, you won't find it until the month after you buy it somewhere else; but there are some good deals to be had on occasion if you're willing to commit the time and money and take the risk.

Fry's Electronics (gotta mention the word electronics or else people will think you mean the Arizona Kroger chain) is on my top 3 chain stores I'd like to see here, even with all these alternatives.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,392,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeFriendly View Post
So I moved here in October and despite the fact that I live in the middle of that pretentious shopping utopia known as Uptown, this nerd can't purchase the trinkets her heart desires.

How can you all live without a Fry's or a Microcenter? I see your excitement at the announcements of more chains being built near me but nobody seems to care about the fact that I can't just run out and pick up a 25 foot ethernet cable or a new SCSI controller on a whim. It's a tragedy and nobody is paying attention. Is there some secret super center of all things computer related that maybe I don't know about?

If you have any pull in this matter, please tell TIIC to just say no to the mega-Target and give me a Fry's instead

On an unrelated note, it's been six months now at the Landmark and I still haven't seen a swat team at the Warren. People over there do seem to jaywalk a lot. Pretty scary.
Oh, are you the girl from Ohio that posted a while ago? I think I may have recommended the Landmark. How do you like it so far? I guess you're on the south-facing side.

I was just visiting a friend at the Landmark the other day.... and you're right about the jaywalkers, there was a hunched-over old man slowly trying to cross Indian School one tiny step at a time. He was in the middle of the street as I carefully drove past, but thought all it would take is one person who can't "W82text" for him to go >splat<.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,740,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
An oft-overlooked area of SCSI cards, cables, and single-board computers is the local equipment auction (auctionsouthwest.com). I believe they're having one as I'm typing this. Chances are if you see any used computer parts on eBay shipping out of this area, 90+% of it came from these auctions. If you want something specific, you won't find it until the month after you buy it somewhere else; but there are some good deals to be had on occasion if you're willing to commit the time and money and take the risk.
It is happening right now and I am bidding

Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,324,143 times
I agree. There are not enough specialty lumberyards around either. What if I just want to grab some 1/8x12 quartersawn walnut?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,057,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree. There are not enough specialty lumberyards around either. What if I just want to grab some 1/8x12 quartersawn walnut?
Doesn't Alb Hardwood have they?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM

56 posts, read 104,043 times
Great recommendations! I'm happy to have any non-bestbuy option. Microcenter/Frys has a lot of space burned with non computer stuff so size doesn't matter so much in this case. I did notice that place on Menaul and need to check it out. I mostly buy online but I'm used to having a local choice if I need something quick or just feel like wandering the aisles.

Yes Aries63, you recommended the Landmark to me before I moved here from Cincy and I thank you for it. I love it here. I'm on the SE corner and both bedrooms face east so the views are nice. The tenants are pretty much as you described, most much older with a random scattering of other ages. The neighborhood is really safe and walkable with a ton of choices for restaurants and shopping for the regular folks. The balcony is huge and the rooms are spacious and well lit. Only reason I can see moving is I would like to have a dog and you can't have anything but cats here. I think it'll be hard to find some place I like this much.

Thanks all for the recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque