Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM

64 posts, read 131,347 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of research on 1-bedroom apartments online. And when I find a place that looks promising on the internet, I search for reviews various websites. I can't seem to find a place where there aren't tons of people complaining about 3 am noise & drunkeness, domestic violence, drug-use, car break-ins, old appliances/air-con that maintenance takes weeks to fix, mold ..... This is from apartments in the Northeast area, Midtown and Rio Rancho areas - I would expect it downtown but not these places at 650-715 for a one-bedroom.

It doesn't seem that a personal visit to a complex will be of much use because likely I'll be shown a model unit and most of the complaints are about "after the fact."

What makes it worse is what's said about the office staff .. slow to respond if at all, all smiles taking your money and deposit but not after your lease is signed, attitudes & rudeness, "smoke & mirrors", and a refusal/failure to handle legitimate concerns. I keep upping my budget to see if there's a level at which this complaint fury levels out but it hasn't yet!

I have 15 years customer service experience so I realize that my expectations are high. I also know that in the internet age people spew their guts online with no filter and exagerate. I also know that people are ten times more likely to offer a complaint than a compliment. But what's the real deal on this?

If you currently live in an apartment and are happy there and can reasonably vouch for a place (no hand on the bible needed!) please let me know! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
I would recommend looking at the small-scale rental operations, and avoid larger complexes. I am pretty happy with my current landlords, but they only manage a handful of properties, as far as I can tell. It's something they seem to do on the side to make some extra money. That sounds like it could actually be bad news, but it's not, as they are pretty responsible about keeping crucial things maintained.

Why go for an apartment complex? There are so many casitas or at least mini-complexes. Fewer immediate neighbors, fewer chances of problems, in my opinion.

One thing I'll say about my current landlords: they (actually the female half of the couple in question) were not afraid to ask me about myself. I was a little thrown by the fact that the tone was almost like what I'd get being interviewed for a job. But I suspect that is a good sign. It means they are serious about screening potential renters. Now that I think of it, when you only have a few units to fill, it would be easier to carefully screen people. When you have dozens of units and you are constantly trying to keep them filled, there's got to be more temptation not to screen too carefully.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 AM

56 posts, read 104,097 times
I feel your pain. Every time i'd get excited about a place the reviews tended to be terrible. Keep in mind too that a lot of the good reviews can be suspicious too. I've seen multiple rave reviews for a complex that were all posted in the same week by "unique" sources.

I live in the Landmark and love it. I moved in back in October and have had no problems to date.

The Landmark

I did a spreadsheet last September when I flew in to search for a place. Not sure if it'll help but here it is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EhGTklpeHBUY2c

After spending the first day on the west side, I decided to avoid that area altogether. I've never even been to Rio Rancho and Coors is a total nightmare for me.

Have you checked out craigslist?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
I'm guessing you guys have been Moderator cut: Your post is considered a consumer complaint and has been edited. Consumer complaints are not permitted under City-Data's Terms of Service. Actual recommendations are generally OK...

Read the forums here. There are tons of people asking about apts. I'd suggest, in addition to getting a place you like, to remember the bridge and that if you live to the west of where you work you drive into the sun twice.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: fix some stuff

Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
I'd suggest, in addition to getting a place you like, to remember the bridge and that if you life to the west of where you work you drive into the sun twice.
And this might seem like a minor point until you've tried driving with the sun directly in your eyes.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
And this might seem like a minor point until you've tried driving with the sun directly in your eyes.
It is a minor point. I drive every day at 7:30am and 5pm and it is never an issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
It is a minor point. I drive every day at 7:30am and 5pm and it is never an issue.
You drive into the sun on the way to work and into the sun on the way home?

Crazy, alien irises.

I did this for 12 years and hated it. It was a QOL issue and I'll never live to the west of where I work ever ever again.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
You drive into the sun on the way to work and into the sun on the way home?

Crazy, alien irises.

I did this for 12 years and hated it. It was a QOL issue and I'll never live to the west of where I work ever ever again.
You know, in the summer someone has to work crazy hours to drive into the sun on the way to and from work. Typically the sun is high enough in the sky for most commuters to not really have to drive with the sun glaring in their eyes. In the winter it is only just the first couple of weeks with the sun setting near 5pm were it is what some would call it a 'major' issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
I lived in a number of different apartment situations in ABQ before I bought a house. None were that bad. I have looked at really bad reviews of the large complex I lived in (Silverado on Osuna) and couldn't believe some of the stuff I read. I thought it was pretty nice there, but I may be easy to please. Some people just seem to attract drama and then need to tell everyone else about it.

I agree with the comments about the smaller apartment communities, or duplexes, which there are so many of around town. I lived at El Dorado on North 12th St. between Candelaria and Comanche, it was very pleasant. They only advertised vacancies in the local paper (that may have changed by now). Their screening was extremely strict and they run a tight ship, I felt like I was signing my life away when I signed the book-length lease, but once you are in they are very nice to you as long as you behave.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeFriendly View Post
Coors is a total nightmare for me.
Coors Blvd is about 22 miles long and it is in Rio Rancho and Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque