Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times

Advertisements

The Taliban had effectively supressed the world's greatest opium poppy growing region for decades. (incidentally the production of crack cocaine balooned during this time to fill the void).

Then the U.S. Army had to come in and take down the Taliban which has resulted in Afghanistan once again becoming the world's opium basket.

Do you blame the U.S. Army for America'a heroin problem?

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 35,417 times
We are considering moving to Albuquerque or surrounding town of Los Lunas, New Mexico because we found it to be beautiful on a trip out there. In addition, we want a slower pace of life. I have gotten on this website to get an inside view of the city and surrounding areas of Albuquerque. I see that there's good and bad. As I read the above it caused some doubts and wonder if we should really move. I was raised in Hollywood, Ca, where drugs and prostitution (prostitutes hung around just 1 block from my middle school) abound and yet I rose above it. My younger sister got sucked into the drug lifestyle, although she has now been sober for about 5 years thanks to giving her life to Christ. So it is an individual choice. My husband grew up surrounded by gangs and never got sucked into that lifestyle. I know there is no great utopian city but wanting to raise my little ones in a safer environment, slower pace and less exposure to drugs and alcohol.....I ask, can this be possible in New Mexico somewhere or should we just stay put in Riverside, Ca (which by the way is home to alot of meth labs) Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Serranopeppers wondered and worried:

> We are considering moving to Albuquerque ... Los Lunas, ... As I read
> the above it caused some doubts and wonder if we should really move.

You could possibly spend the rest of your life cruising the message boards
and maybe by the time you are 175 years old you might find one that has
no bad stuff that could possibly harm your kids or sensibilities.

Seriously, any large metro area is going to have good and bad areas.
Over time, good areas can become bad areas and vice-versa.

I haven't read any real negative post (*) on any of the forums where the
negative poster didn't have some sort of axe to grind and was trying
to stir things up and make people angry. The vast majority of them come
off as the type who is constantly whining about how 'others' have ruined
their lives and they are incapable of ever making progress because of it.

(*) as opposed to someone just making a point with a criticism

Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
People have valid negative and positive experiences in every single city in the United States. If you read various city data forums, you'll see opinions and experiences that are 180 degrees opposite of each other. Some people love a place, others can't wait to leave. City data is just one source of information but it should by no means be the only or primary source you base a major decision on.

My own experiences in Albuquerque have been very positive. Even though Albuqueque statistically has some higher crime than other cities, I haven't seen any kind of major drug issue here. The main thing we hear about at various times are meth houses. And the law enforcement here work very had to find and close those down.

I personally don't think you can blame a city on an individual's heroin addiction. And I think the original poster was just expressing frustration at a very difficult situation and not really blaming Albuquerque the city, and in fact acknowledged as much in a later post talking about individual choices and responsiblities etc. So let's just be compassionate about that.

Also, let's keep to the topic please and not bring in other issues. Just a gentle reminder that we do have some general forums for broader discussion on politics, drugs in the US, racism or a variety of other things. I appreciate your understanding.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,204 times
It's not the area, it's the person! It's definitely an illness that needs serious help, but no matter where you live, it's going to happen if the person wants to! Stop blaming ABQ!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,008 times
It doesnt matter where you move her. I am a recovering heroin addict (only a month clean), and I moved away from California to Albuquerque, NM. I still have urges and hopes that I will run into heroin. So regardless of where you move your daughter if she wants to do heroin she will. If we want her clean stick her in a rehab and don't allow her to manipulate you into leaving. As a recovering heroin addict I know that we will say anything and everything to get what we want. I am 18, going to college now, and hopefully I don't run into any heroin out here, because heroin is all bad and it will only bring a person down!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,550,195 times
Default Heroin

Puma, unfortunately it doesn't matter what part of the country your from drug addiction if running rampart in our country. It is destroying not only our youth but our middle aged all the way thru adulthood. It doesn't discriminate, any social stature is acceptable, it will seduce you and then before you know it, it has you. We must never stop fighting the war against drug & alcohol addiction. We must support not enable our love ones, be there when they need you, because they will need you sooner or later in there time of need, may God help them and protect them from all the different addictions out there!!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM

68 posts, read 151,077 times
I agree with the majority, you can find drugs everywhere! I have lived in NYC, Ohio , Pennsylvania and currently NJ, drugs were easily obtainable in every city. . If a person is of the mindset that they want to get high, they will go looking for drugs and find it regardless of the city. I know this personally as I have had several family members and friends who were addicts. We all grew up in the same neighborhood too.. I chose to stay away from the bad people and the drugs, they didn't. I'm alive they aren't. I'm really sorry about your family member, I'm a Mom too.. I hope you can find her help before it's too late. I have lived through the pain, anger and frustration , of losing family and friends because of addictions....Try to be there for her . Stay Strong my friend..!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-29-2010 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: added "family member "

Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
I have to agree, its the behavior, not the place. If you are of the mindset you can find it anywhere.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM

68 posts, read 151,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treezy View Post
It doesnt matter where you move her. I am a recovering heroin addict (only a month clean), and I moved away from California to Albuquerque, NM. I still have urges and hopes that I will run into heroin. So regardless of where you move your daughter if she wants to do heroin she will. If we want her clean stick her in a rehab and don't allow her to manipulate you into leaving. As a recovering heroin addict I know that we will say anything and everything to get what we want. I am 18, going to college now, and hopefully I don't run into any heroin out here, because heroin is all bad and it will only bring a person down!

Treezy,

I don't know you but I applaud you for being brave , and for finding help to overcome your addiction . I wish you the best in College, and success in the next chapter of your life !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque