Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times

Advertisements

Then you might like to get out to the east side of the Sandia/Manzano Mountains and build some new trails on US Forest Service and Albuquerque Open Space lands.

Saturday 28 Apr was the first US Forest Svc work day out at the Tunnel/Otero Trail system on the east side of the Manzano's - about 3 miles south of Tijeras & I-40 on NM 337. Turned out to be a good day and we cut in 3/4 mi of new single track in 5 hrs.

If you are interested in helping out just meet at the Sandia Ranger Station or at the Tunnel Trail head at 0930 on these dates:

2012 Dates:

*April 28 & 29
*May 19-20
*June 2 - National Trails Day
*June 16-17
*July 14-15
*Aug 18-19
*Sept 22 - National Public Lands Day
*Oct 13-14

For moar info/details, hit up Ranger Kerry Woods - kwood@fs.fed.us

Pix:

The obligatory US Gov safety briefing before getting our PPE

After a 5 min hike up we started cutting in trail

Busting out small pine & juniper trees by hand is a good workout

Teamwork!

Why we do it... MOAR SINGLETRACK!!!

These stubs don't remove themselves, unfortunately

USFS Ranger, Kerry, getting it done!

Where we came...

Where were headed (peak off to the far left)

Happy Trails

Last edited by N8!; 05-06-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Moar trail work, this time the City of Albuquerque's Open Space Division (http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/sandovalcounty.html - broken link) on the east side of the Sandia's - The "Golden Open Space" is off of La Madera Rd. and is actually in Sandia Park and not Golden itself.

I figured I owed some hours of trail work for all the endless hours of enjoying the trails, so I met up with a small, but hard working group to bust out some brand new single track in a beautiful location.

I still don't quite understand how The City of ABQ has hundreds of acres of land on the east side of the Sandia's in Sandoval County, but hey, I ain't complaining!

I'm not sure of the rest of the work dates for this trail yet, but when I find out, I'll post up in this thread.

If you want moar info, then hit up: Jim Sattler at ABQ Open Space - JSattler@cabq.gov

Trail Work Meet Up Location in a cul-de sac (saved us a 6 mile hike to the work area - yeah, that's the Sandia Ski Area on the Sandia's in the background)

ABQ Open Space had the route nicely flagged, all we had to to was chop/scrape/work

Moar Happy Tails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque