U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM

301 posts, read 425,730 times
Default Is the North Valley a good place to raise a family?

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while, but I've been agonizing in the meantime (because I'm just that kind of overthinking, slightly neurotic gal . . . )

We are planning a move to ABQ next summer and REALLY love the beauty and charm of the N. Valley. I would move there in a heartbeat, but am wondering if any of you are raising a family there. How are the amenities for kids? Rec centers, playgrounds, and especially schools? Is it safe enough to let them ride their bikes and walk around the neighborhoods?

I've been told to avoid the schools in the N Valley, but we really don't want to shuttle them all over town or go the private school route. I've also heard conflicting opinions on Alvarado and Griegos Elementary. Does anyone have kids attending either elementary? Any thoughts on Taylor or Taft Middle School, or even Valley High School? Our kids will only be in 2nd and 3rd grades, but it's good to be prepared.

Any input on any of these topics would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by shukertj; 06-02-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 PM

17,142 posts, read 17,839,317 times
I have friends and family in the North Valley, some with children. There are parts of North Valley which I would like to move to...

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

October 2014 "Theme" Contest
October 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-05-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Kids and the N. Valley

Hi Rich,

Have any of the ones with kids expressed any thoughts, either positive or negative, about raising them in the N Valley? Do their kids attend the public schools? If they'd like to share their perspectives, I'd love to hear from them.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM

17,142 posts, read 17,839,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shukertj View Post
Have any of the ones with kids expressed any thoughts, either positive or negative, about raising them in the N Valley? Do their kids attend the public schools? If they'd like to share their perspectives, I'd love to hear from them.
Not really, two families have lived in North Valley for over 20 years. One son is now 21, went to Rio Rancho schools for a short period and then was home schooled. The other has a three year old child. My grand kids attended K through 12 grade in Rio Rancho. I know a few school teachers and a few other people who work or have worked for area schools in various capacities. New Mexico does not appear to have the best schools, a lot of discussion and I don't think it is one simple answer. I have been involved in a lot of my grand children's school events for about 12 years. North Valley is a large area, so there are a variety of neighborhoods. I think there are about nine elementary schools and three middle schools in the area. I don't want to sound uncaring, but New Mexico and this area is not for everyone, it just became apparent to us again, this past week when a longtime family friend visited last week, we have our life and we are happy in the area. The friends we have in North Valley enjoy it.

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

October 2014 "Theme" Contest
October 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-05-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,508,773 times
We lived in the N Valley for several years and I know several families who live in the N Valley, mostly through pre-school and now elementary school connections via my kids. NONE of them send their children to local schools. All of them send them to charter schools or private schools. One family is considering Valley for their daughter, I hope they change their mind.
My feeling is that the strongest factor in education is the home and the parent involvement in their children's education. A close second is the school. I would visit the school, check out the NMPed website for school ratings but also look at some of the great charter schools in the immediate area ( there are many in the valley and in Old Town and other close by areas )
If you PM me, I can tell you about the school my kids attend. It's an A rated school but it is hard to make the lottery cut. I think for 2012 they had 10 openings total for grades K-5.
As far as the area, it's a little hit and miss but there are some nice clusters of homes in there. I love the market and park in Los Ranchos and it's a very convenient area for access to downtown, Old Town, I-40, etc. If we'd found a home we'd liked there, we would have stayed.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Hi Karma and Poncho,

Thanks so much for your responses. This has been a really difficult decision so I appreciate all of the information. While I'm not too crazy about the Denver area, I have to admit that we are really fortunate to have our kids at an excellent school here. So, I am really struggling with the idea of uprooting them and moving to ABQ when the school situation is such an unknown.

I know I can move to the NE heights and send them to the highly-rated schools there, but I really want to embrace the rural lifestyle of the N Valley (or at least the lifestyle I perceive it to be!) and not live in a typical development.

Karma, I would love to hear about the school your kids go to. In fact, I am also having a hard time figuring out the charter schools that are in the N. Valley and if getting into them is even a feasible option. I will PM you.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,446,827 times
I wouldn't hesitate to live in the N Valley. Love the area and the people. As it is now we will be moving to Los Lunas soon which is even more rural. Sorry I can't comment on the schools as we have decided to send my 3 year old to private school when that time comes.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,401 times
Default north valley

The north valley is quite possibly the coolest spot in Albuquerque. South Valley is a little more rough...but there's soo much space it doesn't even matter...super cheap too

Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM

266 posts, read 348,329 times
We know at 2-3 families who live in nice parts of the N. Valley - one neighborhood is called Tinnin Farms, and I'm not sure what you would call the other neighborhood. Both neighborhoods are absolutely acceptable for kids to run around, play, etc. - although 1 neighborhood was gated in recent years because of a couple nonviolent break-ins. They are very happy where they live, both for the "rural" and neighborly feel, proximity to almost everything, the greenery, markets/co-ops, etc. However - 2 families send their kids to private school (made that decision before moving to the area) and the other family with small kids is contemplating charter schools in the near future. It is really a shame because there are lots and lots of families in your exact situation - they love the area (and many other areas in ABQ) for so many other reasons but end up defaulting to either NE Heights or private school just because of the school fears. You would think that over time, with so many professionals and so many talented people moving into the area that this would change, or that schools would improve, but we just don't hear much about that. There are many horror stories, and we just can't figure out what's real and what's paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque