Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM

305 posts, read 770,279 times

Advertisements

Ok, I beseech you . . .

Is there ANYONE out there who has sent their kids to any of the public schools in the N. Valley? I am dying to move there, but need recommendations on where to send my two children, who will be in second and third grades next year.

Please don't just give me generalizations like "the schools are all horrible." I am hoping for first-hand accounts from parents who have sent their kids to one of them and can give me a good idea of the academic quality and general environment.

We REALLY don't want to send our kids to private school, and we REALLY don't want to be driving them all over town to go to schools outside the neighborhood. I've read that Griegos ranks highly academically, and that Alvarado has a good Spanish immersion program. But, I'd love to hear from an actual parent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM

26 posts, read 43,065 times
I had a niece that went to Alvarado, my sister-in-law loved it.
The immersion program was good, they push wellness and exersise, and they attached to the Los Poblanos Open Space Gardens.
The only problem was when she went to start MS and ended up in Tafts District.
There is a swatch of Alvarado that transitions to Taylor, which is a much better MS than Taft. So you have to be careful where you buy your house.
When you get to HS - you are stuck with Valley, it has the Valley Academy with a higher academic standard but that is for core classes and Honors, the majority of your elective classes and general programs that suppliment are not that great. So you may be looking at Charters.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Our friends have a daughter who attends Griegos and they speak very highly of the school, in particular the principal. The plan was to send her to a private school, but after they toured Griegos and met with the principal they were impressed enough to send her there.

However, they are now worried because there is talk that the principal is leaving Griegos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque