Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 AM

91 posts, read 483,840 times

Advertisements

I've been researching apartments in ABQ because by wife and I will be going to UNM next year. I hear the NE is a good area, but from my research the area we can afford is around the Chelwood Park area up to about Candelaria. Is this a fairly safe, quiet area?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM

150 posts, read 792,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84606 View Post
I've been researching apartments in ABQ because by wife and I will be going to UNM next year. I hear the NE is a good area, but from my research the area we can afford is around the Chelwood Park area up to about Candelaria. Is this a fairly safe, quiet area?
Thanks
I live in that area. Just a couple blocks from Chelwood Park Elementary School (between Indian School and Menaul on Chelwood Park). You don't want to live south of Indian School...more visits by the cops seemingly. I live in a small, 24 unit apartment complex which are all 1 bedrooms. The rent is about $100-$125 per month less than the bigger complexes. We have a lovely :-) 2 washer, 2 dryer laundromat, and that is the end of the "frills." No pools, tennis courts, workout rooms, etc. But, hey you can do that at UNM. I've been here for 3 years, with only 3 visits from the cops, and that was for two public intoxications. and our laundry was burglarized. (Using a key! A disgruntled former resident no doubt.) I know of no damages to anyone's cars in the parking lot in that time either. This leasing company (one of Albuquerque's best) has boo-koo leasing "rules," which I resented at first...but it makes for a quiet, and safe place to live. Three or four "problem" tenants were out of here in one month!

If you want to send me a private message, with your monthly max. for rent, I can provide more specific information. Just click on my user name at the top, and it will tell you how to e-mail me. No sense taking up so much space here. Ditto UNM and environs. My nephew just graduated from there, and my niece is a Freshman.There are of course a great number of apartments within a mile or two of UNM, but most are older, and over-priced due to the convenience. But, the UNM and Nob Hill area (uptown from Route 66 days) on Central Ave. (Old 66) is where it's happening! :-) CULater.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, I PM'd you. To everyone else...
Are there any decent areas for a quiet family with 2br around 600/month? If not I may have to reconsider and go to Boise state.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
I grew up in that neighborhood. They're hit and miss, with the one behind the circle-square-R being low income, and the surroundings being typical apts. The neighborhood's good for the most part.

Bus access between there and UNM is laughable; I strongly recommend you consider a different part of town for practicality reasons. Any savings you get in rent will likely go out your tailpipe with a 20 min. each way commute.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Zoidberg advised:

> Bus access between there and UNM is laughable; ....

For bus access in that part of town, you need to live on Juan Tabo
or Eubank. Those busses are pretty OK - connecting to the Central
line, but walking from Chelwood to Juan Tabo is a half mile.

For *good* bus access, live within a half mile of Central. A half mile
walk is trivial, but adding a transfer - even one - gets old fast.

Your best bet is living within a mile of the campus (a one-mile walk
is also trivial). There are lots and lots of apartments that are decent
that are owned by individuals who are earning rental income on their
small properties. I've rented in that area with four different people
and all my experiences have been good.

Being able to walk to campus makes your life much more flexible
and reduces your stress tremendously. Any night classes or labs or
such makes proximity that much more desireable.

Availability of apartments tends to be highest in the summer semester,
so if you don't like the place you found, you have time to do the work
to get a good place.

You find the apartments by walking around and writing down telephone
numbers off the [For Rent] signs.

as nm_photojournalist correctly pointed out, Nob Hill is great, but you
can live within a couple of miles of it and still get to enjoy it easily.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Thank you all for your input. We have two cars (hopefully we won't get them stolen) and we're a little above the typical student age, so bus transit isn't a huge issue. We also have a two year old daughter, so safety is important to me. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
thompson84606 informed us:

> We have two cars ...

Earlier, you also said:

> ... wife and I will be going to UNM next year ...

and

> ... around 600/month? ...

If you are both going to school as your primary occupation then why not
chuck both cars and live near the university so you can afford a decent
place? A car costs $100-150 per month to keep - even if you don't drive
it much. That's after tax cost. You need to *earn* about $200 to have
the money to keep up the car. I'm not counting gasoline here.

You didn't mention the sprog before. $600 isn't enough for a decent
place for three.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
thompson84606 informed us:

> We have two cars ...

Earlier, you also said:

> ... wife and I will be going to UNM next year ...

and

> ... around 600/month? ...

If you are both going to school as your primary occupation then why not
chuck both cars and live near the university so you can afford a decent
place? A car costs $100-150 per month to keep - even if you don't drive
it much. That's after tax cost. You need to *earn* about $200 to have
the money to keep up the car. I'm not counting gasoline here.

You didn't mention the sprog before. $600 isn't enough for a decent
place for three.
That's what I was afraid of. Here in Utah I can live in a nice, safe neighborhood in a 2br apartment with washer and dryer for $500 a month. I know in Boise it's easy to find a great place for $600. I've been working full time and full time school for two years, so I'm not ready to live like a student. I think Albuquerque's out. Thanks all.
The reason I'm limited to $600 is because of the wages in New Mexico. I work for Albertsons and am paid $14 an hour here and in Idaho, but ABQ Albertsons are union so they won't pay me top wage which is only $12/hr anyway.

Last edited by thompson84606; 09-27-2007 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: