U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 16,454 times

Advertisements

it seems unlikely but if one moves from cities with more air pollution and pollen- i thought it might be possible that folks might notice they get less colds and their allergies are improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 AM

541 posts, read 1,209,009 times
I usually get a cold around the holidays/Jan because I have a break from the stress and strain of school. However, I haven't gotten sick yet (even though everyone I know has gotten sick around me), and I haven't had any allergies yet. We shall see ...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM

17,646 posts, read 19,044,376 times
Default ABQ Pollen Count

I've been getting runny nose a few times per year. the last 5 years. Have been here 10 years. But my doctor say's it's probably because I am older...

You can get the current pollen count for the ABQ here. ANd you can subscibe for an e-mail pollen count also. My nose running seems to correlate with some of the pollen counts:
Pollen reading

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-26-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM

50,031 posts, read 42,397,444 times
well, I never had alergy problems until we moved to NM and then it took a couple of years. Each year, from about late Feb until mid april I would sneeze, cough and go through tissue like it was nothing. I could hardly sleep at night. Of course when I took meds it was better. I just hope I don't have the same problems here. I think the worst is Juniper and we don't see much around this part of the woods..

Nita

Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM

147 posts, read 359,317 times
I'd like to see this thread keep going...

My boyfriend, now in NY, suffers from strange lung problems - truly they are mysterious. No doctor can pin-point anything. He has trouble breathing sometimes and has suffered from a collapsed lung (so much that he had an operation on it to keep it from collapsing again.) We are wondering if the dry, warmer and less-polluted air might be good for him. Without a diagnosis though, its hard to tell! He also gets strange, seemingly allergic reactions that come out of the blue and dont respond to typical allergy medication.

He's only ever lived in the Northeast. I wonder whether climate having a major impact on one's health is something that really happens or if its just something victorian novels liked to play up :-)

Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,306,931 times
I've had one cold in the 5 years that I've lived here.

It was a doozy, though.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM

50,031 posts, read 42,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post

My boyfriend, now in NY, suffers from strange lung problems - truly they are mysterious. No doctor can pin-point anything. He has trouble breathing sometimes and has suffered from a collapsed lung (so much that he had an operation on it to keep it from collapsing again.) We are wondering if the dry, warmer and less-polluted air might be good for him. Without a diagnosis though, its hard to tell! He also gets strange, seemingly allergic reactions that come out of the blue and dont respond to typical allergy medication.

He's only ever lived in the Northeast. I wonder whether climate having a major impact on one's health is something that really happens or if its just something victorian novels liked to play up :-)
the dry climate should help him, but also remember it is 5000 ft, so breathing can be a problem for some. I was one of those that never did adjust to the altitude and the doctors all said, there appeared to be no medical reason for it, I didn't even have a problem with oxygen level. I just had trouble breathing..Who knows? As for allergies, it all depends on what one is allergic to. Most people do better in dry climates, but if cactus is an allegy to you, the desert isn't the best place to live..It is that simple.

Nita

Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM

147 posts, read 359,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the dry climate should help him, but also remember it is 5000 ft, so breathing can be a problem for some.

Nita
I've though about the altitude and hope its okay for him. I also hope he's okay on the airplane coming out but thats another issue!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:07 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,415,660 times
never had seasonal allergies til I moved to ABQ from the northeast. Juniper and ragweed get me now.

And then, I lived in GA for a while, and the pine just about killed me.

My allergies are not that bad. Maybe a few days out of the year I am annoyed enough to use Claritin. The rest of the time I go around with a slightly stuff nose, hardly need a kleenex for it, but its definitely not 100% clear. There are a few blessed weeks peppered in throughout the year where the allergies totally disappear.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,415,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post

Have they checked him for pseudomonas aeruginosa? My grandmother developed a pseudomonas infection and they could not figure it out for a while. Usually you get it in the hospital, but she did not, which is why it took them some time to suspect it. I would guess if he has had his sputum cultured, they should have checked for it, but he should check. For a while they thought she had asthma or COPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque