U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM

2,783 posts, read 3,747,336 times
Default Freeway/Highway through Tijeras Canyon?

Anyone ever given thought to if they should build an access road through Tijeras Canyon?

By Tijeras Canyon I'm referring to the big empty swath of riverbed between about I-40 & Tramway and I-25 S of Rio Bravo.

Yes, there's air force base for some of that, but Gibson Blvd. already runs through a patch of the AFB, and many other military installations throughout the US have access roads running through them.

Seems like it'd shift a fair amount of traffic congestion out of the city, without creating additional sprawl. Imagine I-240.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
N8!

2,388 posts, read 1,830,514 times
It's never-ever going to happen.

Gibson Blvd used to dead end at Louisiana where the old main gate used to be. Nothing really changed except the gate was pulled back to allow for better traffic flow between Gibson & Louisiana.

Unread 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 6,158,978 times
With Mesa del Sol growth in the future it may seem logical but ABQ doesn't really strike me as a pro freeway for future growth kind of city like in Texas or Arizona. If there were to be a new freeway in metro ABQ, I'd imagine it would be a Northwestern arc from I-25 north of Bernalillo to the western edges of Rio Rancho past Double Eagle down to I-40. Again though, probably not going to happen. I think further into the 21st century American cities will probably be developing differently.

Unread 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM
N8!

Seems like the development of Mesa del Sol is going very slow. It's definitely not a subdivision boom out there.

Unread 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM

15,699 posts, read 14,595,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
If there were to be a new freeway in metro ABQ, I'd imagine it would be a Northwestern arc from I-25 north of Bernalillo to the western edges of Rio Rancho past Double Eagle down to I-40.
That has been discussed a few times...

It is blocked by Native Lands and Pueblos.

Photo Contests Open For Entries:

April 2014 "Theme" Contest
April 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Unread 07-31-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
It's never-ever going to happen.

Gibson Blvd used to dead end at Louisiana where the old main gate used to be. Nothing really changed except the gate was pulled back to allow for better traffic flow between Gibson & Louisiana.
That was different; Gibson Blvd is a main drag on Kirtland, particularly for access to Sandia's buildings. Further, there's not much of interest on the other side of the base where Gibson is concerned, and going around is easy.

Tijeras canyon, on the other hand, never gets very close to anything on base (even though there are facilities both north and south). There need not be any access roads between the proposed highway and the base facilities (they make do just fine with one bridge), and they could probably even close the bypass on the rare occasions where they're planning on moving something high-security around.

If they did build a freeway exit (with gate) on the existing Pennsylvania bridge and the proposed highway, they could significantly cut down on northern base traffic and gate traffic at the other entrances. They could probably fund 1/2 this crap with WIPP-like funding, since getting any remaining hot stuff off base probably involves taking it through areas of Albuquerque that are more populated.

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
N8!

That's a pipe dream as long as the Air Force and DOE occupy KAFB.

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM

222 posts, read 304,261 times
What I'd like to see is an *alternate* route from the East Mountains into ABQ - for example, if they would just pave the existing road that goes from the Sandia Crest Road over to Placitas. I know, that'll never ever happen either, but it would be nice ...

Unread 08-01-2012, 10:53 PM
JBM

524 posts, read 474,202 times
Are you talking about a route in this area? I've thought about that, but I don't know whether traffic would warrant it. Or perhaps it would what with Mesa Del Sol and all... It'd definitely mean I wouldn't have to share I-40 with as many trucks, though, which would be lovely.

Last edited by JBM; 08-01-2012 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Used wrong form of conditional conjugation

Unread 08-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Are you talking about a route in this area? I've thought about that, but I don't know whether traffic would warrant it. Or perhaps it would what with Mesa Del Sol and all... It'd definitely mean I wouldn't have to share I-40 with as many trucks, though, which would be lovely.
That is exactly what this thread is about.

Note that midway up the road would be the possibility of an exit where it crosses Pennsylvania. There are a lot of people who work on base south of there or not much north of there.

Could probably justify exits at Juan Tabo, Eubank, La Semilla, and University as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque