Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,206 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to another Balloon Fiesta in Oct, and would like recommendations for food vendors at the Fiesta itself, especially for breakfast. Tried searching the Forum for this topic without any luck.

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
There's been a brouhaha about upping rates for food vendors, and a lot of the mainstays have said they won't be submitting booths.

The food was ridiculously expensive before rates were increased, so I expect it will be even more so during this fiesta.

That said, maybe there will be a whole lot of new blood (and perhaps even kinda gourmet) vendors at this year's. Seems to me if I'm going to spend $10 on a smallish breakfast burrito it ought to have something exotic in it (and not like city health department exotic either).

Suffice it to say, there's probably no good data to be had for this year's fiesta food. It's a brave new world.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelVibe View Post
Looking forward to another Balloon Fiesta in Oct, and would like recommendations for food vendors at the Fiesta itself, especially for breakfast. Tried searching the Forum for this topic without any luck.

Many thanks,
I have not seen any specific comments about vendors in this forum in the past.

I use to be on a balloon crew, on a chase crew, too many early days. I still chase and photograph them, after they have launched...

Some vendors who have done the Fiesta for 20+ years, have bowed out. I know Perico's has.

I have been waiting to see a list of the vendors or a list of the vendors not participating this year...

Rich

Rent hike worries Balloon Fiesta vendors

Food vendors might not be signing contract

Published : Monday, 30 Jul 2012, 9:59 AM MDT

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Dozens of food vendors say the cost of doing business at Balloon Fiesta is about to skyrocket. If vendors agree to the new conditions, about a third of what gross profits the vendors make will go to a new management company from out-of-state. A new company, just hired to manage Balloon Fiesta vendors, wants to collect 30% of every food vendor's gross profits.

ENTIRE ARTICLE: Worry for Balloon Fiesta vendors

Quote:
Fees for Vendors at the State Fair, Sunport Can Vary
By Jessica Dyer / Journal Staff Writer on Sat, Aug 4, 2012

ABQJournal Online » Fees for Vendors at the State Fair, Sunport Can Vary

Fiesta flat-rate fees start at $3,350 for a 10-foot frontage and go up to $11,050 for larger, more prominent spots. But many vendors assumed they would pay far more in rent now that the contract includes the 30-percent-of-sales stipulation.
Quote:
City Councilors Want Fiesta Food Fight Explanation
By Dan McKay / Journal Staff Writer on Wed, Aug 8, 2012
ABQJournal Online » City Councilors Want Fiesta Food Fight Explanation

Albuquerque city councilors want a representative of the Balloon Fiesta to explain why a dozen New Mexico food vendors decided to avoid the event this year.

The request surfaced at Monday’s council meeting, when several councilors expressed concern about the acrimonious negotiations between the fiesta and some food vendors. At least a dozen New Mexico food vendors said through a spokesman last week that they will sit out the 2012 festival after their efforts to renegotiate the cost of booth rentals failed.

“I’d really like to hear an explanation” of what happened, City Councilor Brad Winter said Monday.

The city of Albuquerque owns the balloon-launch site, but the fiesta itself is run by a private group. It’s not clear what, if anything, the City Council can do about the fiesta’s basic operations.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-23-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Coincidentally, I saw an article just the other day about "replicating" ball park food at home!

Now why in heaven's name would anyone want to do that? It's bad enough when you have to eat it at the ball park, the county fair or whatever.

Or perhaps one person's junk food is another person's gourmet treat?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
Sounds like the mob!

We'll let you sell your food, but we're taking 30% off the top for being nice and letting you sell here.

This can not have a positive effect on the people visiting the Balloon Fiesta.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Sounds like the mob!

We'll let you sell your food, but we're taking 30% off the top for being nice and letting you sell here.
Funny. To me, it sounds a an awful lot more like the mob when I hear "We'll let you sell your house, but we're taking 3% off the top for being nice and letting you sell using our cartel's network."

Quote:
The process of charging vendors rent?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:53 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
It read to me that its 30% of the gross take on top of the existing rent.

BTW, I think you will probably pay the 3% to both your sellers agent and the buyers agent.

There is always the sell it yourself route.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
The space fees for food vendors is $3,350 per 10 foot space or 30% of gross sales, whichever is greater. There is also addition fees of $220 for that space and sales tax. From this PDF document: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/uploads...e%20letter.pdf

Balloon Fiesta will be from Oct 6 to Oct 14, 2012, nine days...

Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
The process of charging vendors rent?
Actually, from what they are saying, it is the process of racheting up the rent for vendors by unreasonable
percentage rates. They are saying that they need to recover the general cost of operating the Balloon Fiesta.

This is nothing but the tactic of having "someone else pay" for the benefit that you are getting.
You see this in government all the time where a benefit is promised that "someone else will pay for."

If the cost of running the Fiesta went up by 10% then raise vendor rents by 10% and ticket prices likewise.

The thing is; I have no idea if prices for food vendors is in line with stuff like the State Fair,
the Indianapolis 600, the Kentucky Derby and other marquee events that some city hosts.
Maybe 30% is standard, but I doubt it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Actually, from what they are saying, it is the process of racheting up the rent for vendors by unreasonable
percentage rates.
Based on the number of food service attendees, I guess we'll see just how many consider it reasonable after all. If they're fully subscribed, then I think it was fair.

Quote:
They are saying that they need to recover the general cost of operating the Balloon Fiesta.
And they do. Since the increase is essentially a "windfall profits" fee, only assessed when a food vendor is cleaning up (selling ~>$1400 food/day), it's a really difficult position to argue that you won't be able to make a profit.

Quote:
This is nothing but the tactic of having "someone else pay" for the benefit that you are getting.
You see this in government all the time where a benefit is promised that "someone else will pay for."
I fail to see how it wasn't that when higher-volume food vendors pay a lower percentage of sales in rent than lower-volume food vendors. In many ways this system is more fair.

Quote:
If the cost of running the Fiesta went up by 10% then raise vendor rents by 10% and ticket prices likewise.
Plenty more people will clog up the roads outside the B.F. park if admission prices get too high, creating a net increase to the cost of operation (think police, traffic, etc.). So I don't think that's a fix at all.

Quote:
The thing is; I have no idea if prices for food vendors is in line with stuff like the State Fair,
the Indianapolis 600, the Kentucky Derby and other marquee events that some city hosts.
Maybe 30% is standard, but I doubt it.
Here's the pertinent document for Balloon Fiesta, and for State Fair.

Seems to me foreknowledge of what's standard should come before decrying what's unfair.

Maybe they had a waiting list for willing vendors for this year's Fiesta and they jacked up vendor fees so that demand could equal supply, and all the sound and fury you're hearing is sour grapes from entitled food service operators (many of whom may show up anyway). Or maybe it's a miscalculation, and the 50% of hangers-on will get 200% the business, laughing all the way to the bank despite the higher fees.

In any case, I think you'll see a surprising number of vendors who end up doing almost exactly $11,000 in sales. The burden of proof for proving sales in excess of $11,000 is going to be steep enough that I think there will be some fibbing going on- and that is the biggest problem with tying rents to self-reported revenues (that and collecting the excess post-event, after a vendor skips town).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque