U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
cap cap started this thread

32 posts, read 27,162 times

Advertisements

on weekends.

Any suggestions?

I need to practice driving a manual transmission (I didn't have anyone to teach me when I was younger) and would prefer to not crash into any people and/or other cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM

2,804 posts, read 4,361,935 times
You can generally get into parking lots that are at high schools if you're willing to search around a bit for an entrance.

Big companies like Intel probably have large expanses available on weekends as well.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
N8!

2,455 posts, read 2,381,003 times
south side of Winrock shopping center

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
south side of Winrock shopping center
Might run into some construction equipment, but on that note, the west side of Coronado is empty 7 days a week. That's your best bet right there, since it's older and has little in terms of concrete breakwaters and other obstacles.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,168,218 times
What part of town are you in?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 AM

910 posts, read 1,230,977 times
The Journal Pavilion parking lot is huge and empty unless there is a concert. The football/ soccer fields are used on Saturdays, but that's only one section of the parking lot.

I remember when I was a teen and learning how to drive many moons ago. My mom took me to the old Kistler Kollister aka "Fashion Square" parking lot on the corner of San Mateo and Lomas. The building has an underground parking area where there's an incline ramp to get to the underground parking. This is where I practiced going from a stop to a start while on a hill and driving a stick shift. I had to practice letting the clutch out on a hill so that I wouldn't roll backwards and hit someone behind me in real traffic which had happened to me while stopped at a red light on Carlisle and Central. The stores were all closed on Sundays, so it was the perfect place to practice accelerating on a hill from a stopped position.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 AM

110 posts, read 118,024 times
Yes lobo, I too has the awful experience of rolling backwards into another car while stopped on a hill with my first stick. Yes, always practice stop-n-go on an incline when learning a manual transmission

Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 AM
cap cap started this thread

32 posts, read 27,162 times
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will cruise by these this weekend and pick the most deserted.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM

33,629 posts, read 28,890,140 times
Good idea to practice starting on uphill slopes. That is probably the most difficult maneuver with a stick shift. Doing this on snow and ice is probably irrelevant for ABQ but even more fun. Executing a sloppy downshift while slowing for a snow covered downhill turn is even more exciting.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Good idea to practice starting on uphill slopes. That is probably the most difficult maneuver with a stick shift. Doing this on snow and ice is probably irrelevant for ABQ but even more fun. Executing a sloppy downshift while slowing for a snow covered downhill turn is even more exciting.
Finding a parking garage (many are free on weekends) would help with that sort of driving.

Snow and ice driving is _definitely_ relevant to Albuquerque driving, even if you only need to call on it two days per two years. Driving in any direction out of town will significantly increase the number of occasions it becomes important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque