Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 PM

350 posts, read 768,795 times

Advertisements

There have been several stories on TV and in the Journal in the past six months on what's being done to curb Albuquerque's homeless situation. Homelessness is a big issue in lots of places around the US, but it seems to be a growing issue here despite various "efforts" by the city and the mayor's office to make it better. Personally, I can't see where any sort of dent is being made. To me, there's been a lot of talk, but not much action. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM

471 posts, read 977,129 times
I think it has to do with various businesses who let homeless (or at least people who look it) people panhandle their customers at the front doors of their business. There is a large, popular NE buffet place, whose name might rhyme with "Burr" where we go on a regular basis. Last Friday night, we witnessed an argument between two homeless types who were arguing over "territory. The one who was there first apparently hangs there all the time, sits down against the wall, and begs for cash by the out-door. The other person wanted part of this lucrative position, but was chased off by the first one, who then went back to his regular spot to beg. There was also another guy who we have seen here several times who works only the parking lot who trys to sell trinkets and travel size hygene products to people walking through it. I don't think that allowing homeless types to stake out territory for begging gives a good impression of Albuquerque, and might actually encourage others to try the same bit. My thoughts are that if you have money to give, don't give it to the professional beggers, but give it to your favorite shelter or support group ONLY. That is the only way to help with the problem.

Now for those who are allowed stake out the I25 exit ramps for begging, that is another story!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
I imagine there's a weaker correlation between beggars and homeless than most estimate.

Many homeless keep to themselves, even keep regular jobs when they can, and make it a point to never get in your face about it.

Many beggars keep apartments and do quite well considering.

Naturally, there are some who fit both categories, but given that there's a chance the person soliciting donations isn't homeless, I'd rather put that money toward a helping a verifiably-deserving individual like a child.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
I think it has to do with various businesses who let homeless (or at least people who look it) people panhandle their customers at the front doors of their business.
Sorry, but I believe that is an incorrect assumption.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
The economy is a reason there seems to be more.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,410 times
I was homeless in Albuquerque approximately 28 years ago. I hung out on Central at the park and it was never dull. The cops used to watch us fight in the daylight with various hand to hand weapons. If you think NM is a joke just read about what happened in Santa Fe State Prison back in the day. The worst prison riot in US history by far. Here as in Chitown--the West is the best.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndication View Post
If you think NM is a joke just read about what happened in Santa Fe State Prison back in the day. The worst prison riot in US history by far.
Would have to rank the 1980 riot #2 in US history, second to the Attica NY riot of 1971.

Attica NY
Officers & Employees Died: 10
Total Died: 39

NMSP
Officers & Employees Died: 0
Total Died: 33

Not sure why homeless and state prisons are so closely related, but maybe the previous poster will explain.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM

350 posts, read 768,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndication View Post
I was homeless in Albuquerque approximately 28 years ago. I hung out on Central at the park and it was never dull. The cops used to watch us fight in the daylight with various hand to hand weapons. If you think NM is a joke just read about what happened in Santa Fe State Prison back in the day. The worst prison riot in US history by far. Here as in Chitown--the West is the best.
No offense, but this is sort of what I'm talking about. I mean, it sounds like you've persevered and moved on (which is great, by the way), but this type of inaction by the city's police force, its mayor and, in some cases, its business community, baffles me. For instance, why are we spending mega bucks on facade improvement and new buildings in central Albuquerque when most of the city's soup kitchens and shelters are still in the same area? I like the idea of improving our city, but we're really just putting lipstick on a pig it seems.

The Alvarado Station is a great example of something that could be a total gem for the city if the city itself had done something to distance transient populations from it before reconstruction. Instead, as Syndication points out, bums are basically outside the station fighting, drinking and doing drugs while the station police and APD just sort of sit around watching (As far as I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong?). Alvarado is just one example. There are many others. Do the folks from California doing the railyard reconstruction know they're spending millions right across from the ABQ Rescue Mission and the International All-Faith Center (ABQ's "skid row")? Good luck getting families and businesses down there.

Other cities have been relatively successful at dealing with these issues. I wonder what they're doing that we're not doing? Maybe there's a white paper somewhere...

Last edited by Cornflakes; 11-01-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I imagine there's a weaker correlation between beggars and homeless than most estimate.

Many homeless keep to themselves, even keep regular jobs when they can, and make it a point to never get in your face about it.

Many beggars keep apartments and do quite well considering.

Naturally, there are some who fit both categories, but given that there's a chance the person soliciting donations isn't homeless, I'd rather put that money toward a helping a verifiably-deserving individual like a child.
I agree with the above statements. I did a lot of volunteering at St. Martin's Hospitality Center years ago, a lot of the homeless there are very ordinary people who don't call attention to themselves, you would never know it to look at them that they are homeless.

What I learned there is that Albuquerque is known across the region as a great place to be homeless. We have good services like St. Martin's and great weather. The people who came there had to present ID to use the various services so I was always checking IDs, and about half of them were from out of state. "We don't have anything like this back in ______" you name it, Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, OKC. The final shock was when I looked at an ID and it was someone I went to high school with back in New York. She and her husband were living out of their van.

I can't say I've noticed that the problem here has gotten better or worse in the 23 years I've lived here.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Most of the homeless I have to deal with are unrepentant substance abusers, alcohol being the substance of choice. Mostly they are transients who visit Albuquerque seasonally or intermittently from points west and they often travel in groups. Often, at first, they don't seem homeless until you notice they are all wearing backpacks. Backpacks that you will later see stashed in spots around the neighborhood in people's yards, behind dumpsters, etc.

They do panhandle, but that is not the problem. The problems are tresspassing, littering, harrassment of females, defecating and urinating on private property, and stealing mail or anything not nailed down.

The problem has been fairly consistent since the city kicked out the resident homeless (as opposed to transients) about 5 -6 years ago and has positively exploded in the last 2 - 3 years.

You can't just put these people in shelters or even buy them apartments or get them jobs because they are not from here. They have homes, just somewhere else. They are essentially on a booze-binge, roughin' it in Albuquerque vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque