U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,515,964 times
Default Nearest ocean beach to Albuquerque?

I can't believe I've been in Albuquerque 6 months! I'm still having a great time, but I oh so much miss the beach!

I was thinking of driving to either San Diego or somewhere in Texas on the Gulf. Any suggestions? I was leaning more towards the Texas coast because I have never seen it before and I've also never seen a more tropical coast if you can call it that, but 15 hours seems very long. Does it really take hat long from Albuquerque? Are Corpus Christi and the beaches outside of Houston the closest and are they nice?

Thanks! I also will be bringing a dog (in case you know the beach doesn't allow dogs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,378,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I can't believe I've been in Albuquerque 6 months! I'm still having a great time, but I oh so much miss the beach!

I was thinking of driving to either San Diego or somewhere in Texas on the Gulf. Any suggestions? I was leaning more towards the Texas coast because I have never seen it before and I've also never seen a more tropical coast if you can call it that, but 15 hours seems very long. Does it really take hat long from Albuquerque? Are Corpus Christi and the beaches outside of Houston the closest and are they nice?

Thanks! I also will be bringing a dog (in case you know the beach doesn't allow dogs).
Stay away from the Gulf of Mexico ! It's over 1000 miles away and has no real waves to surf. El Paso is actually closer to San Diego than Houston so that should give you an idea.

If you have a passport, the Gulf of California is less than 4 hours from Phoenix. It's got bathwater like the Gulf of Mexico but much closer and Rocky Point is very Americanized for a Mexican town. A lot of expats living there.

I am a huge fan of San Diego and can tell you Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach are awesome beach towns to party in (Newport is the main strip in Ocean and Garnet is the main strip in Pacific). Plus excellent waves along with a beach that allows dogs to roam freely in Ocean Beach.

Actually, LA would be even closer for you than San Diego. Take the 40 to the 15 to the 10 and you wind up in Santa Monica and Malibu .

Last edited by magnum0417; 11-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM

16,917 posts, read 17,325,131 times
Quote:
but I oh so much miss the beach!
What beach? I miss the Florida and Caribbean beaches where I grew up.

Quote:
I was thinking of driving to either San Diego or somewhere in Texas on the Gulf. Any suggestions?
I would go to Corpus Christi. Maybe stay in Carlsbad one way and San Antonio on the other way.

Quote:
I was leaning more towards the Texas coast because I have never seen it before and I've also never seen a more tropical coast if you can call it that, but 15 hours seems very long. Does it really take hat long from Albuquerque?
It is not tropical, not even close and does not take that long to drive, even for me who drives slow and sightsees a lot. Mileages listed below.

Quote:
Are Corpus Christi and the beaches outside of Houston the closest and are they nice?
Corpus Christi is pretty close and it's OK, but that depends on you. We have a condo in southeast Florida and relatives in that area and in the LA area. I have been to Corpus Christi three times, but not recently.

Look at some travel sites online... Me, I would go to Corpus Christi, and my wife does not want to go back to California any time soon (She spent a few years traveling there a few times per year)...

Albuquerque to:
Long Beach, CA 800 miles
San Diego, CA 770 miles
Los Angeles, CA 787 miles
Corpus Christi, TX 872 miles

Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What beach? I miss the Florida and Caribbean beaches where I grew up.

I would go to Corpus Christi. Maybe stay in Carlsbad one way and San Antonio on the other way.

It is not tropical, not even close and does not take that long to drive, even for me who drives slow and sightsees a lot. Mileages listed below.

Corpus Christi is pretty close and it's OK, but that depends on you. We have a condo in southeast Florida and relatives in that area and in the LA area. I have been to Corpus Christi three times, but not recently.

Look at some travel sites online... Me, I would go to Corpus Christi, and my wife does not want to go back to California any time soon (She spent a few years traveling there a few times per year)...

Albuquerque to:
Long Beach, CA 800 miles
San Diego, CA 770 miles
Los Angeles, CA 787 miles
Corpus Christi, TX 872 miles
I don't know. South Padre Island is the same thing as Clearwater,FL.I'm a fan of waves and the Gulf does nothing for me. Obviously if you are a boater, The Gulf is easier than the Pacific. But again, Rocky Point,MX is less than 4 hours from PHX. Hotel reservations right on the Gulf of CA are under $100/night for places that would be charging close to $200/night on the TX Gulf. You take I 10 just west of PHX. head south on Rte 85 at the Buckeye exit down through Ajo (buy Mexican Auto Insurance there) until you hit the border at Lukeville. Just another 60 miles and you are in Rocky Point on the beach.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM

810 posts, read 1,515,964 times
Thanks Magnum. I actually don't have a passport yet, so the Gulf of California isn't an option. Otherwise I would seriously consider it.

The beaches I'm used to are in Oregon and Washington. I love waves, but I don't do surfing or anything like that. And I was thinking Texas also because I thought I might be able to swim a bit . I'm getting the feeling though that I just don't have enough time to do this. I was thinking of driving all day Thursday and getting there late, and then driving all day Sunday to come back. Is it feasible to do that? How long does it usually take you to drive there?

If not, do you know any nice places to stay by water closer to Albuquerque? I'd even rent a little studio cabin by a nice mountain lake if needed.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Magnum. I actually don't have a passport yet, so the Gulf of California isn't an option. Otherwise I would seriously consider it.

The beaches I'm used to are in Oregon and Washington. I love waves, but I don't do surfing or anything like that. And I was thinking Texas also because I thought I might be able to swim a bit . I'm getting the feeling though that I just don't have enough time to do this. I was thinking of driving all day Thursday and getting there late, and then driving all day Sunday to come back. Is it feasible to do that? How long does it usually take you to drive there?

If not, do you know any nice places to stay by water closer to Albuquerque? I'd even rent a little studio cabin by a nice mountain lake if needed.
Not sure what your $ situation is and it is none of my business. Passport Cards are $30 plus administrative fees of some $25 and are good for 10 years. Just need your drivers license and birth certificate and fill out the form at the Bernalillo Superior Courthouse.

If you are looking for a beautiful lake with killer scenery, take the 6 hour drive to Page,AZ. Take I 40 to Flagstaff and head up US 89 to Page. Lake Powell is gorgeous !

Add 6 hours to where I live in PHX. I am 5 hours from San diego so figure that it will take you 11 hours to get to SD (without inclimate weather). Poncho knows a helluva lot more about NM than I do. However, he is dead wrong about the Pacific being as far away as the TX Gulf Coast. It must be miles as the bird flies because you are zigzagging from Amarillo on down to Houston and the mileage from ABQ easily exceeds 1100. If you went to SD and left on a Thursday evening, stay over in Flagstaff (4 hour drive). Flag to SD is 7 hours if you left Flag in the AM. You could conceivably check into a hotel in SD ( I recommend Best western in Mission Bay) in the early afternoon. When you leave SD whatever morning, drive the 7 hours to Flag and stay over there. A couple cheap Motel 6's are available in Flag.

Last edited by magnum0417; 11-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 4,173,016 times
Aside from the dog, the quickest way to get to a beach is a nonstop flight to LAX (or SAN) and rent a car. There may be more miles traveled but unless you have a fuel-efficient vehicle and/or load it full of people and stuff you need, flying ends up being far cheaper when you factor in gas, extra food and extra hotel nights.

Rocky Point is also called Puerto Peñasco (or just Peñasco). That said, it only saves 1.5 hours versus driving all the way from ABQ to Santa Monica. (Newport Beach appears to be the fastest US beach to ABQ).

The fastest gulf access point is near Corpus Christi (South Padre further south, Galveston further east). Within the time to get there you can have your pick of anywhere along the Pacific coast from Santa Barbara to Ensenada.

Fastest Atlantic access from here is Tybee Island GA (next to Savannah GA & Hilton Head SC).

Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM

16,917 posts, read 17,325,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Add 6 hours to where I live in PHX. I am 5 hours from San diego so figure that it will take you 11 hours to get to SD (without inclimate weather). Poncho knows a helluva lot more about NM than I do. However, he is dead wrong about the Pacific being as far away as the TX Gulf Coast. It must be miles as the bird flies because you are zigzagging from Amarillo on down to Houston and the mileage from ABQ easily exceeds 1100.
I suggest you regroup, get your bearings and read what the Original Poster (OP) was asking. The OP is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, you appear to be in a different state of mind as well as a different state...

The mileages I stated are correct road miles. They have been verified by another party. I did not suggest Houston, I suggested Corpus Christi, TX which is 872 road miles from Albuquerque, NM. It does not go near Amarillo as you suggest. It is not miles as the bird flies nor does it zigzag as you claimed. It is partially scenic, that is why I suggested "Maybe stay in Carlsbad one way and San Antonio on the other way.". I have done it before, on the ground and possibly in the air by private aircraft. Take a gander at the map here: Albuquerque, NM to Corpus Christi, TX - Google Maps

I did not consider this to be a haul-butt trip to get to the destination ASAP. The OP stated "I was leaning more towards the Texas coast because I have never seen it before".

I hope that made my intentions clear, I had no intentions or desires to get into a jaw-flapping issue...

Rich

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I suggest you regroup, get your bearings and read what the Original Poster (OP) was asking. The OP is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, you appear to be in a different state of mind as well as a different state...

The mileages I stated are correct road miles. They have been verified by another party. I did not suggest Houston, I suggested Corpus Christi, TX which is 872 road miles from Albuquerque, NM. It does not go near Amarillo as you suggest. It is not miles as the bird flies nor does it zigzag as you claimed. It is partially scenic, that is why I suggested "Maybe stay in Carlsbad one way and San Antonio on the other way.". I have done it before, on the ground and possibly in the air by private aircraft. Take a gander at the map here: Albuquerque, NM to Corpus Christi, TX - Google Maps

I did not consider this to be a haul-butt trip to get to the destination ASAP. The OP stated "I was leaning more towards the Texas coast because I have never seen it before".

I hope that made my intentions clear, I had no intentions or desires to get into a jaw-flapping issue...

Rich
The Rte 285 route is a way I am unfamiliar with and looking at the map, it is fairly direct. However, I don't imagine with it being many hours of non Interstate travel that one can cruise at 80 from I 40 to I 10 traveling that route.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,399,099 times
CA beaches > TX beaches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque