U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM

100 posts, read 182,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
I'm from the East and do not wish to return.

You won't find the whales in societies that do not eat meat
and consume lots of sugar. Living in San Francisco, there
was a large grocery store that focused on Vegan foods.
Wild Oats/Sun Harvest is the closest I can find to match
Rainbow Grocery. They sold lots of Vegan cookies, brownies, etc.
Why bother? Some of the patrons forgot to wear their Goodyear
shirts with blinking lights. LOL

If Phoenix weren't so hot, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Day-um! I made that other post before I saw this gem. You are really...mean How would you feel if I started telling some jokes about deaf spastic people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 PM

I am sorry, I am not trying to be troublesome, but I just found these posts heartless

Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 PM

192 posts, read 281,645 times
Default Excuse me,

Ms. Cade,

You don't know me. I am very, very compassionate.

Currently, I buy used, but usable PCs, Upgrade them, and give them away
to families in El Paso and Juarez, Mexico. One of my jobs in California was that of a Computer trainer: I held a separate class for Seniors; nonetheless, I gave my knowledge to all, as well as Free on-site support for those who had
PCs. Just a PC trainer huh? I showed my students the inner workings of a
PC and how to perform minor upgrades if needed. My students were from
different countries - all did not understand English: problem? Ha! I made sure they had text written in their native language. English, Spanish, Tagalog,
Russian, and Arabic. I taught Web page design as well. I am speaker of English, Arabic, Spanish, Mandarin, and Tagalog; yes, I said that I am deaf too. Being deaf doesn't prevent you from reading; after all, I read lips in more than just English.

I do not preach vegetarianism, this is a personal choice for us all. A woman
friend back in California weighed about as much as a 1967 Cadillac; she complained about different health issues, but I only offered advice to
see a nutritionist on this. Either her doctor never "pounded" on her head hard enough about her weight, or she didn't feel it was an issue.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
Ms. Cade,

You don't know me. I am very, very compassionate.

Currently, I buy used, but usable PCs, Upgrade them, and give them away
to families in El Paso and Juarez, Mexico. One of my jobs in California was that of a Computer trainer: I held a separate class for Seniors; nonetheless, I gave my knowledge to all, as well as Free on-site support for those who had
PCs. Just a PC trainer huh? I showed my students the inner workings of a
PC and how to perform minor upgrades if needed. My students were from
different countries - all did not understand English: problem? Ha! I made sure they had text written in their native language. English, Spanish, Tagalog,
Russian, and Arabic. I taught Web page design as well. I am speaker of English, Arabic, Spanish, Mandarin, and Tagalog; yes, I said that I am deaf too. Being deaf doesn't prevent you from reading; after all, I read lips in more than just English.

I do not preach vegetarianism, this is a personal choice for us all. A woman
friend back in California weighed about as much as a 1967 Cadillac; she complained about different health issues, but I only offered advice to
see a nutritionist on this. Either her doctor never "pounded" on her head hard enough about her weight, or she didn't feel it was an issue.
So, you speak five languages, and yet you still cannot find a more tactful, less offensive way of talking about overweight people. All the good deeds in the world cannot compensate for coming to a public forum that is read by people of all races, shapes and sizes, and making statements like "all the beached whales at the mall", and, "Why bother? Some of the patrons forgot to wear their Goodyear shirts with blinking lights. LOL".

I did not say that you were preaching vegetarianism. You completely missed what I said, and if you completely missed it, you obviously don't understand what it means to be tactful. It would have been enough to say "There are a lot of overweight people in El Paso." But why say it at all? Overweight people had nothing to do with your original question, and that was about medical care.

Say what you like about people in your home, in private, but on the boards you should make an effort to be kind in your words and not say things that could be hurtful to other members.

You're right, I don't know you, but I do know that you have no tact when you write.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,989,061 times
Well said, Cade. As one of the "beached whales", I thank you.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 AM

*tips beret to you* You're welcome.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 PM

711 posts, read 1,770,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
sorry, for offending you. Personally though, I have to consider Metro. The reason I say this is because Boston's population is 590,763. Its metro is just under 6,000,000 people. You tell me, who really is bigger?

So by your standards, you would consider El Paso bigger than Boston, even though the Boston Metro dwarfs El Paso. By your standards, you are telling someone that El Paso is bigger than Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, DC, Vegas, Portland, Kansas City, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Miami, Tampa, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Salt Lake City, etc.

To me, all of those cities seem a lot bigger to me than El Paso, and their metro's are much much bigger. However, by counting just city limits, El Paso is indeed larger.
You are correct though, you did say cities. Sorry for challenging your statement.

And not including Rio Rancho would be like not including Sunland Park, you can't really tell when you are in one and out of the other.

Believe me, I love both cities. I really do.
Well put abqsunport!!!
I've gotten into discusions with people from El Paso that are very sensative with the comparison of Albuquerque & El Paso.
You hit the nail on the head with the Metro area population, not only that the Albuquerque metro area just feels and looks like a bigger area. Note the size of the airports & air traffic, ABQ Sunport over 6 million passengers a year, El Paso International 3 million a year. The total number of housing units in both cities ABQ has more.
A bigger downtown, more multi storie buildings & trendy areas and things like that which make a city feel like a city, El Paso tends to lack lots of these so it feels & looks like a smaller city.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,955,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Well put abqsunport!!!
I've gotten into discusions with people from El Paso that are very sensative with the comparison of Albuquerque & El Paso.
You hit the nail on the head with the Metro area population, not only that the Albuquerque metro area just feels and looks like a bigger area. Note the size of the airports & air traffic, ABQ Sunport over 6 million passengers a year, El Paso International 3 million a year. The total number of housing units in both cities ABQ has more.
A bigger downtown, more multi storie buildings & trendy areas and things like that which make a city feel like a city, El Paso tends to lack lots of these so it feels & looks like a smaller city.
I agree, Albuquerque absolutely feels bigger. However, I really do like El Paso, and I am not trying to put it down. But when people try to discount the important facts with misleading facts, it will cause serious confusion and frustration. I am glad you see things the same way, observe.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM

633 posts, read 500,643 times
Thanks to the members who posted in answer to the OP's original question. I, too, am considering a move to ABQ (among other cities) and my primary concerns are medical care, safety, cost of living. Originally from Boston, the poor quality of medical care in the West- mostly HMO's - surprised and hindered me from moving on with my life. Once I identified this as a major constraint, it is making my research easier.

After some research into the geographic variations in medical care, It looked like Las Vegas, NV may be a good place. Come to find, NV has one of the lowest physician concentrations per population in the US. I don't know if this measurement is an artifact of the fact that there are only two major metro areas in the state.

I lived in So CA and found that outside of the major areas - LA, San Diego, Anaheim, one has to shop around for medical care for serious chronic conditions. This is difficult to do when already residing in a location, much more so as a newcomer. These cities have a huge cost of living and do not appeal to everyone. Still have more research, as the humidity of the entire northeast would be challenging for me.

Thanks to the OP for asking the question. On behalf of those not terribly skilled with computers, it's nice to hear you donate such valuable gifts to others.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM

152 posts, read 497,544 times
Not offended albsunport. It's just that if anyone asks me "What is the population of Albuquerque?" I give them the population of Albuquerque! Perhaps I'm in the 2% minority in doing that? :-)

I too love both El Paso and Albuquerque! And, I agree that Albuquerque, and Rio Rancho have "merged" together in recent years, as has El Paso, and Sunland Park. But, I'm sure that both of us can tell the difference between Rio Rancho and Sunland Park when we are "in" either. Or not, LOL.

Maybe I became "Albuquerque concious" from working the Census here in 1990and 2000? From now on, when asked "How many people live in Albuquerque?" I'll just say "lots and lots" to play it safe. :-) What you say about "compact" Boston is true, and in the reverse we could bring in Oklahoma City, which has city limits out to where the cows graze in every direction. Huge in size, smaller in population. I guess it just goes to show there are many ways to "measure" things...including which "feels bigger," which I can also relate to in many cases. At least these differences help to keep "City-Data" interesting. Have a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque