Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

I know it takes 4+ hours. I would just like to know if it's a difficult drive. Is it safe? If I drive down there in February, will be weather be bad (snow, ice?) along the way? In other words -- anything I should be aware of? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
They usually aggressively plow I-25 in the event of a blizzard, and those are few and far between.

Your odds are 99% that there will be no snow or ice to concern yourself with. That 1% includes heavy snowfall that sometimes involves closing the road.

This is shaping up to be a very dry winter, so maybe the 1% is on the high side. It isn't uncommon for it to be colder in Belen than in Albuquerque by a few degrees.

The drive itself is safe but you should think ahead in terms of pit stops. There are hourlong stretches with no convenience stores or bathrooms worth stopping at (particularly south of Socorro). Make sure to pack snacks and extra water, and basic tools, knife, duct tape, etc. in case you get a breakdown or flat (just common sense). There are some steep hills but you don't notice them if you're tooling along at 65-75 in a lightweight vehicle. Traffic (particularly south of Belen) is exceptionally light for an interstate. If you stop on the road I would anticipate less than an hour before a statie comes along to say hello.

(Oh, and on the drive back, there's a checkpoint north of Las Cruces you should prepare to stop at; recommend coming back without those bricks of contraband and 24 friends you just met who need a ride).

Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM

404 posts, read 860,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I know it takes 4+ hours. I would just like to know if it's a difficult drive. Is it safe? If I drive down there in February, will be weather be bad (snow, ice?) along the way? In other words -- anything I should be aware of? Thanks so much.
Check on the local weather report; if the conditions are right for traveling then just hit up I-25 and use common sense and precaution,have a safe drive.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Look here for road conditions: NMRoads.com Advanced Traveler Information System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque