Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Your snob deserves to be taken to the filthiest, smelliest, stickiest, raunchiest theater in town.
Yeah, but what about all the whining? I just can't take it.
I'd rather give him what he wants.

Great post though. You just can't beat the artistic talent in passionately sarcastic aries63 missive.
.... when you get rolling .... stand back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM

142 posts, read 323,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Your snob deserves to be taken to the filthiest, smelliest, stickiest, raunchiest theater in town. And then you have to spill your giant sugary drink on his head. Either that, or he should stay home in his comfort zone.

I haven't been to the movies in I don't know how many years, either. Movies put me to sleep, it's a waste of money. At least with Netflix I can fall asleep at home and not worry about waking up in an unfamiliar place.
This happens to me very frequently.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I want to see something on the big screen, such as the Hobbit in 3-D, something I can not experience in my home 'theater' (we don't all have 10 grand to spend on 96" 3-D TVs and lazy boys), I just go at the least appealing time, for the masses. This is usually the first showing, 10am-ish, early mid-week, like a Tuesday.

This way, you are usually sharing the theater with perhaps 5 to 10 mature (in age and temperament) couples or individuals. Get there a few minutes early and pick out the perfect elevation in the stadium seating.
I understand your point on not everyone being able to afford a "home theater" but a decent tv and home theater in a box can provide a very enjoyable experience.

dvd/surround sound combo $230
Sony BRAVIA 1000W 5.1Ch. DVD Home Theater System DAVDZ170 - Best Buy

42" 1080p tv with a high refresh rate $450
Insignia 42" Class 42" Diag. LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV NS-42E480A13 - Best Buy

A total of $680. That is about 34 trips to a movie theater for 2 people with no snacks added.

*A small disclaimer, I have neither of those two products so I cannot speak on those specific items quality. However, I have enjoyed comperable setups at other people's homes.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Well...I like both worlds. My wife and I go to the theater about 20 times a year. We splurge on popcorn...I mean...you've got to live a little. We also enjoy movies at home on a very large HD screen with a great surround sound system and the ability to pause the movie when one of us has to take a bathroom break...or needs to go back into the kitchen for cookies...a beer...whatever!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I want to see something on the big screen, such as the Hobbit in 3-D, something I can not experience in my home 'theater' (we don't all have 10 grand to spend on 96" 3-D TVs and lazy boys), I just go at the least appealing time, for the masses. This is usually the first showing, 10am-ish, early mid-week, like a Tuesday.

This way, you are usually sharing the theater with perhaps 5 to 10 mature (in age and temperament) couples or individuals. Get there a few minutes early and pick out the perfect elevation in the stadium seating.
You don't need 10 grand. We have a pull down movie screen, a decent projector and a sound system that wasn't expensive, but is really quite good. I still go to the movies at times, but until movie theaters put comfy couches in them, nothing beats watching a movie at home.

Having said that, the best theater for seating and sound is the Premiere Cinema in Rio Rancho.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 AM

146 posts, read 325,904 times
Yeah, the movie theaters are gross here, this is true. My advice, go early. We don't go much, but my limited experience indicates they get cleaned once a day-at the end of the day! The earlier you go the better off you are. The one near winrock isn't horrible. Stay away from the one down by four hills, seriously. I felt like I needed a body guard. Very sketchy crowd, and that was jut the Moms on a Saturday afternoon for a kid flick! I'd hate to see what happens after dark.

I will go see Les Mis in the theater, and then I think I'm done with movies in the theater for the foreseeable future. My older kids can take the younger kids at winrock, I'll drop off/shop/pick up. I'm done with all that.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
This weekend and some of the following week, I'm hosting a relative who only goes to movie theatres that
have the "best" screens and "best" sound. We are going to see The Hobbit and some other stuff. He's
already complaining ( without having been here ) about the possibility of having to go to an "inferior" theatre.

I haven't been to a movie in a theatre in Albuquerque for over 20 years.
I don't even know where all the theatres are anymore.

Is there a discerning theatre-go-er out there that has some advice?

I'm assuming newer tends to be better, but it's certainly not a rule.
Which theater did you end up going to and how was the experience?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Century theater downtown much better than Rio...and haven't had popcorn with the catfish odor at least yet!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM

281 posts, read 629,265 times
Premier in Rio Rancho is actually really nice... steep stadium seating, clean, decent food and service. The D-box seats are kind of fun and kind of annoying all at the same time, but they're RESERVED so you don't have to show up 50 minutes early to get good seats, and you can turn off the shaky parts if it's bugging you.

(Not to derail the ranting by trying to answer the original question, or anything.)

Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
What's a D box seat exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque