Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times

Advertisements

I lived in La Mirage whilst looking for a house.

It's a pretty good place with reasonable rates and decent tenants around.

You can walk to decent grocery shopping.

There is decent bus service from that location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Sunshine - Although we never lived there, my 1st choice would be La Ventana near Academy & Tramway. The place is quiet [in a good way] and clean and has a nice vibe. Kind of a family environment [in a good way again]. Amazing views across the city, and across the street from an upscale shopping center. I've recommended this place before.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,403 times
Default Good apartments in abq?

Hello everyone!
I am re-locating out to Albuquerque for graduate school at the end of this month or the first of next month and I am getting so frustrated looking for an apartment. I want somewhere that is safe, but afforadble. I am looking for a one bedroom or an efficiency. I would rather not have a studio. Is there anyone out there that can point me in good direction of a good complex? Any information would be great!!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
If I were going to live in an apartment in ABQ I'd live in the Mountain Run apartments. However... not very close to UNM.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
there are some apartments near the Univ.area but I dont know what they are called and they dont seem to be in the apartment guide booklets, you can also check out that website-apartment guide then choose your city.

Are you looking to stay near school?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Albuquerque is spread over a huge area. How far are you willing to live from campus. Do you have a car? Want to use public transportation? Would a small house or cottage be under consideration or do you want the density of apartment life for some reason? What do you mean by safe (gates, security)? What do you mean by affordable (under $500, $1000, $1500?)?

You might try the Daily Lobo classifieds in the student paper which I believe can be found online. I usually has people offering leases to students (thus selecting for convenience and affordability by student standards).

ABQConvict

Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Don't forget good old Craigslist

Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,081 times
My (female) friends live in The Enclave. It is about a 15 minute drive to UNM, but the apartments are nice and safe. I left my new car in the complex for 5 days over Thanksgiving and not a scratch or dent on it.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 18,371 times
Welcome to the land of apathy, oops, I mean Enchantment!

You can find an affordable efficiency/studio apartment near UNM, but a majority of apartments near UNM are roach pits. My wife and I lived in apartments around UNM from 1996-2008 and they were all awful. Also, depending on how sensitive you are to noise, I would not recommend an apartment at all: tenants have virtually NO RIGHTS in Albuquerque and landlords will do nothing to alleviate noise issues; complaints always fall on deaf ears and trouble makers are coddled.

Living near UNM is interesting because the neighborhoods closest to UNM are not typical college type hoods because this university is largely attended by commuters.

I would recommend posting your rental question on a great Albuquerque blog called dukecityfix.com. You may even get some ideas from folks there or possibly some rental offers as well!

I also recommend trying to find a cottage or casita (that's the local jargon for small cottage) in what's called the North Valley. You can find some of this stuff on craigslist, but my faith in craigslist for Albuquerque is not high as A LOT of slumlords advertise there.

Hopefully, you have an automobile as well. This city is possible to navigate without one, but it is extremely difficult as the bus system is a nightmare! You cannot rely on the bus to get you to work/school on time; there are many times when the bus doesn't show up at all.

I would stay away from the West Side and the far Northeast Heights of Albuquerque as traffic is horrible. As you will soon see, this city lacks foresight and vision in the area of urban planning.

Feel free to send me a private email if you want the real scoop on living here.

You are going to have quite an experience over the next few years! Good luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryko View Post
tenants have virtually NO RIGHTS in Albuquerque and landlords will do nothing to alleviate noise issues; complaints always fall on deaf ears and trouble makers are coddled.
Tenants rights are governed by Federal & State and Tenants have a lot of rights. Its just knowing who to complain to and when you complain do it in writing.

New Mexico Tenant Landlord Law Security Deposit Evicitons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque