Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times

Advertisements

There is only one hockey rink in ABQ, Outpost, and it's far north on Tramway in the foothills. It's not really close to any of the apartment complexes on your list. None of them are really close to UMN either. A couple ( Cibola Village, Academy Terrace, Telegraph Hill ) are kind of located between the two.

You've also not mentioned a source of income. Will you be working? Where?

People always say that driving and distance are not really an issue. This is especially true for those of us who've relocated from cities with horrible commute conditions. It becomes an issue pretty quickly. If you have no long term plans to stay around after you've taken a couple of classes at UNM, it matters less. It still matters. I hate getting stuck on the Montano Bridge and get frustrated when some stretch of I-40 is shut down, even though I have no commute and my daily drive is a short one to pick up the kids from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 5,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
What is more important? Close to the ice or close to UNM?
- Close to UNM would be more important. But I'd make my decision on the quality of the apartments before their proximity to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
There is only one hockey rink in ABQ, Outpost, and it's far north on Tramway in the foothills. It's not really close to any of the apartment complexes on your list. None of them are really close to UMN either. A couple ( Cibola Village, Academy Terrace, Telegraph Hill ) are kind of located between the two.

You've also not mentioned a source of income. Will you be working? Where?

People always say that driving and distance are not really an issue. This is especially true for those of us who've relocated from cities with horrible commute conditions. It becomes an issue pretty quickly. If you have no long term plans to stay around after you've taken a couple of classes at UNM, it matters less. It still matters. I hate getting stuck on the Montano Bridge and get frustrated when some stretch of I-40 is shut down, even though I have no commute and my daily drive is a short one to pick up the kids from school.
Thanks for the reply. I'll do my best to respond to every part.

-I also found that there are two rinks in Rio Rancho and I'd have no problem making the drive one or two nights a week.

-I will be working from March until the end of August based out of southern NM but potentially anywhere in the country at any given moment. I'm anticipating spending less than 4 nights per month in ABQ during that period.

-Come the end of fall semester, I have no plans whatsoever. I'll be in the same position I am right now, thinking about what to do for the next year anticipating a 6 month period of 100 hour work weeks thrown in the middle.

Thanks again!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 5,534 times
Also now thinking Cloverleaf Apartments? Maybe it might work better with the weird timing. I read reviews of everything on apartment sites and google but I can't help but think that the only people that write bad reviews are overly sensitive people who expect the world for $600/month and all the positive reviews are from staff or management.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
You can try:
Home: Home Top Tier | UNM Housing

The University of New Mexico Off-Campus Housing
Also these threads:
Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500

Grad student - moved to Albuquerque.
Rich

Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM

461 posts, read 922,384 times
Default Does anyone have recommended apartments in ABQ?

I am finally on the verge of moving down here (will be there for my in-person Wed/Thurs) and all the apartment reviews I read are terrible! I don't know who to believe because of how whiny people get about things on the internet. I've been looking at the Allegro at Tanoan most recently because they are in the NE by the Sandias and look decent. I've checked some own threads on here and can't find that many good recommendations either.

I'd be working in uptown ABQ. I've also checked out the Nob Hill area, only a bit worried bc I hear a lot of people talk about the crime near the base, which seems close to Nob Hill.

I'm 25 and single, as that does make a difference. I like arty stuff like writing/film/etc., but also love biking/hiking.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM

212 posts, read 538,699 times
I would definitely look closer to the city then. Tanoan/ Tramway etc is wayyy out. Even if looks close on the map, you'd be 20+ minutes plus drive to work I bet. More retired folks I would imagine there. I had a good stay at Oak Tree Park on osuna & san mateo... they are older and not the best piece of land, but the location was perfect for me, and you get alot of space for the $. Plus every unit is remodeled w/ new appliances and fake granite. Other than that 1 place, the 2 others I rented at I did not like. You are right that rentals are slim pickins in this town.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post

I'm 25 and single, as that does make a difference. I like arty stuff like writing/film/etc., but also love biking/hiking.
If I were you I'd look at Nob Hill. Though it is close to the base area where as you noted there are some issues with crime. Nob Hill is just fine even though it is close. Ridgecrest is in the same area and one of the most desirable areas in town. Since you like the arty stuff, Nob Hill will have tons of stuff for you as well as the areas immediately West (UNM, East Down Town, Down Town and Old Town). There are several bike lanes and trails near nob hill. You can ride from Nob Hill via Silver Ave (Bike Blvd) all the way down to the Bosque and take the trails along the Rio Grande. Nob Hill is also relatively close to Uptown.

Edit: Nob Hill doesn't have many large Apartment Complexes. They are usually smaller or Duplexes/Quadplexes...etc...etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

461 posts, read 922,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
If I were you I'd look at Nob Hill. Though it is close to the base area where as you noted there are some issues with crime. Nob Hill is just fine even though it is close. Ridgecrest is in the same area and one of the most desirable areas in town. Since you like the arty stuff, Nob Hill will have tons of stuff for you as well as the areas immediately West (UNM, East Down Town, Down Town and Old Town). There are several bike lanes and trails near nob hill. You can ride from Nob Hill via Silver Ave (Bike Blvd) all the way down to the Bosque and take the trails along the Rio Grande. Nob Hill is also relatively close to Uptown.

Edit: Nob Hill doesn't have many large Apartment Complexes. They are usually smaller or Duplexes/Quadplexes...etc...etc.
Do you have any specific places in Nob Hill you'd recommend?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
use craigslist. avoid the big complexes, you will find a much nicer place. Look in Nob Hill, Downtown, or eDo.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
Do you have any specific places in Nob Hill you'd recommend?
Sorry I don't. Craigslist is probably going to be your best bet. Quick search shows 70+ properties with Nob Hill in the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque