Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 31,077 times

Advertisements

I have some kitties... who are fat and lazy, and have no idea that scorpion equals painful.
How do you keep the scorpions out of your house?
DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,037,102 times
In the 18 plus years I have lived in and around the central Rio Grande valley I have never seen a scorpion. I'm not saying there isn't any in Albuquerque because I've heard of some people having some issues with them. But, personally it is just not worth worrying about. Especially since the one's around here from what I have read, their sting is nothing more than like an aunt bite or a bee sting.

Quote:
Scorpion season brings fright, stings
Lethal variety of creepy stinger rare in state

Updated: Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012, 6:08 PM MDT
Published : Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012, 6:08 PM MDT

Deanna Sauceda
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Some Albuquerque residents are noticing a real uptick in scorpions. Is there an invasion or is it just that time of year?

An entomologist for Preventive Pest Control says it's scorpion season.

Here in New Mexico there are 17 varieties of scorpions, but only one indigenous to Arizona can be lethal.

Jerry Silverheart and his family just moved into his house along the Rio Grande bosque, and they were welcomed by scorpions.

He called the pest-control company after his wife found the first one in the pantry and screamed to high heaven.

Entomologist Alan Feuer says scorpions are born earlier in the year, and by now they have grown to 2 or 3 inches becoming much more aggressive, so people are seeing them now.

He said most are not poisonous, and their sting is often like an ant bite or bee sting.

Only the Arizona bark scorpion is truly lethal. It is not native to New Mexico, but some have been found around Deming and Silver City.

New Mexico Poison Control reports there have been no scorpion deaths in New Mexico. In 2011 there were 274 reported stings. So far this year there have been 205.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
I have not had any real problems with them.

You might read through these threads with 'scorpions' in the title:

Scorpions?!

Centipedes, Scorpions

Spiders, Scorpions and Snakes

Rattlesnakes, Scorpions, Spiders And Other Lovelies

Scorpions

Tarantulas, Scorpions and Snakes

Rich

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 31,077 times
I use to live in FL and scorpions did come into the house, as well as black widows and giant wolf spiders. When I lived in Farmington I remember daddy long legs spiders always in the bathtub the next morning, we ushered them outside. So it sounds like it is more of a rare occurrence to run into these critters, and to practice good home hygiene and common sense and it shouldn't be a problem.
TY

Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,293 times
DM, would agree with the others, not something to put too much time into worrying over. We moved here from Portland, OR many years ago and what we did see a ton were solpugid species. They can provide an effective mimic, minus the stinger on the tail.

With any insects, if you control hygiene as you mentioned, make sure gaps/cracks in your home around windows, doors, any pipe or other hole through home exterior, you will cut way down on any unwanted species.

Good exclusion can be as simple as caulk and weather stripping sometimes.

RD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque