Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 43,248 times

Advertisements

I am relocating in a couple of months and will be working at the airport (ABQ). I've been looking at places in Rio Rancho and Ventana Ranch among others but I'm beginning to get concerned about the commute. I'll be driving during the regular work commute hours and I'm getting the feeling that even the VR-ABQ drive will be about 45 minutes. Is RR-ABQ unrealistic? I don't trust the times on google maps and would love to get info from locals. Ideally I would like to keep the commute under 30 minutes but to get a place that is safe and gives my young family the conveniences we need I could go as far as 45 minutes if necessary.

Any and all info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgreg View Post
working at the airport (ABQ). I've been looking at places in Rio Rancho and Ventana Ranch among others
Any and all info is appreciated!
It takes me about 37 minutes to drive from Rio Rancho to the Sunport Terminal to drop someone off. Did it early yesterday morning (04:30 hrs). But the time you leave will make a difference.

Obviously Ventana Ranch is a shorter distance. I am not familiar with that commuting traffic. One of the news stations have live traffic maps.

My wife drove a few times per week from RR to Kirtland AFB (Past the Golf Course) for about 16 years and it use to take less than 50 minutes (27 miles one way), but she left at 5 am...

Really depends on what part of the airport...

Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks Poncho. I'll be working in the main terminal. I think my main concern with VR-ABQ is the lack of highway and getting stuck in stop-light purgatory. At least I can check traffic reports if I leave from RR. My wife seems to have decided on RR basing it entirely on what we've read. I'll have flexible hours so I can try to avoid the worst of the traffic I suppose.

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 PM

811 posts, read 2,941,008 times
Depending on the time of day, from Ventana Ranch to the Sunport is about 30 min on average. Add 5-10 minutes during rush hour traffic.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Thanks Observe, that's good to know. Some things I was reading on other threads had me fearing the worst.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
That commute is gunna be a bi$h when the Paseo/I-25 interchange project starts this April. Add another 15 min-30 min to your time depending on crashes.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM

366 posts, read 869,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
That commute is gunna be a bi$h when the Paseo/I-25 interchange project starts this April. Add another 15 min-30 min to your time depending on crashes.
That is an excellent point, FYI jbgreg they are planning to start redoing the Paseo/I-25 interchange this fall and expect it to last until fall of 2015. There are definitely going to be plenty of times were that commute is going to be a huge PITA over the next two years.

If you aren't going to be there long term it might not be a problem, but if you are it is not going to be pleasant.

*Edit* Whoops you said April and I contradicted you and said this fall, are they planning on starting in April, I thought it seemed like they were making their most optimistic guesses to get it this fall?

Last edited by ralthor; 02-16-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Question..

Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
I traveled from Paradise hills to downtown for years. Which is near VR. I would never do the Paseo interchange. Quicker and less headaches to come down Coors to I40.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgreg View Post
I'll have flexible hours so I can try to avoid the worst of the traffic I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
when the Paseo/I-25 interchange project starts this April. Add another 15 min-30 min to your time depending on crashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
That is an excellent point, FYI jbgreg they are planning to start redoing the Paseo/I-25 interchange this fall and expect it to last until fall of 2015. There are definitely going to be plenty of times were that commute is going to be a huge PITA over the next two years.

Anybody remember and commute through ABQ during the "Big I" reconstruction? It screwed up traffic everywhere.

Similarly during Balloon Fiesta, Paseo is impassable...

My wife did it all. In fact she never commuted on the Interstate after the "Big I" reconstruction began...

Soooo. Any real suggestions for someone working at the Sunport?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
Live on the east side of I-25, maybe.. and avoid having to commute across the Rio Grande..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque