U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,144,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
They both focus mainly on teenage employment rates which is only a small aspect of the overall economy.
Teenage employment is a large percentage of those that make minimum wage. Minimum wage earners are a small percentage of the overall economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM

581 posts, read 956,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Just show me a few verifiable, reliable ones that I can take a gander at...
Here's a few i found real quick. I don't have time to do a thorough search at the moment

Minimum wage hikes don
http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_as.../wp2007_23.pdf
The Minimum Wage: Myths & Facts | Research | Media Matters for America

Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM

1,419 posts, read 4,298,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
My statement was that studies have shown that a modest increase in the minimum wage provides a benefit to the overall economy. Neither of the studies you linked too address that. They both focus mainly on teenage employment rates which is only a small aspect of the overall economy.
Here is an interesting breakdown of who actually makes minimum wage.
Who Works for Minimum Wage? - Yahoo! News

Teen unemployment creates long term structural problems for an economy.
Youth unemployment: the big issue for the world's economy - Telegraph

Which is shared by President Obama's former economic advisor Larry Summers:
Youth unemployment: the big issue for the world's economy - Yahoo! Finance UK

Last edited by abqsunport; 02-22-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,501,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I know I would be willing to pay slightly higher prices in order for people to make a living wage.
You can do that in this example by leaving a larger tip. What you are saying is you wouldn't mind if everybody paid a higher price in order for people to make a living wage. This won't achieve the goal you think because if prices are raised across the board, the person that received the minimum wage raise has corresponding less buying power.

I started in the working world at minimum wage. Not once did I feel this was my permanent career and I would have to rely on government bullying to get a raise.. It was up to me to find a career path that paid what I wanted.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM

[quote=ay jayy;28365579]Here's a few i found real quick. I don't have time to do a thorough search at the moment

Minimum wage hikes don
http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_as.../wp2007_23.pdf
The Minimum Wage: Myths & Facts | Research | Media Matters for America[/QUOTEF

Your first source was one of the many articles cited and discredited in the London School of Economics study as posted above.

From your second source:
Quote:
That said, our estimates are silent about the aggregate effects of a minimum wage hike.
Our estimated responses are for households that had a minimum wage job prior to an increase
in the minimum wage. It is possible that a minimum wage increase reduces the odds that
those without a job will be able to find one. Moreover, we ignore most teenagers, where the
evidence of disemployment is most compelling. However, for those adults who had a minimum
wage job prior to a minimum wage hike, spending (particularly on vehicles), income, and debt
rise afterward and a model that incorporates collateral constraints and a cost to adjusting
durables can mimic many of these patterns.
And there is not a single conclusive finding by a scholarly study in the MediaMatters link.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,440,873 times
I'm always intrigued when one's view of the "teen workforce" is limited to middle-class teens living at home with and supported by parents, with said teens working voluntarily for spending money.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Here is an excerpt from abstract from a working paper to be published this year:

Quote:
"We revisit the minimum wage-employment debate, which is as old as the Department of Labor. In particular, we assess new studies claiming that the standard panel data approach used in much of the “new minimum wage research” is flawed because it fails to account for spatial heterogeneity[. . .] Our evidence points to serious problems with these research designs. We conclude that the evidence still shows that minimum wages pose a tradeoff of higher wages for some against job losses for others, and that policymakers need to bear this tradeoff in mind when making decisions about increasing the minimum wage."
Revisiting the Minimum Wage-Employment Debate: Throwing Out the Baby with the Bathwater?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM

2,958 posts, read 4,539,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
i sent there for a malt and hot dog about 3 Saturdays ago:

a. service sucked (slow/inattentive and they screwed up my hot dog order - I mean how hard is that?)

b. food over priced (malt & dog were over $8) for what it was

c. employees were huddled together loudly BSing with each other and not paying attention to their customers

I felt the employees who were involved with my customer experience were over paid at $3/hr
I totally agree but I blame the "boss" not the employees. I went there once, over a year ago, and couldn't believe the incompetence and rudeness. They screwed up my hot dog order too. That spoke volumes to me about the management. Somehow I'm not surprised the owner is found out to be dealing with less than a "full deck." He deserves to go out of business, and the employees deserve a better boss, someone with more business sense and ethics.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
N8!

2,409 posts, read 4,447,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I totally agree but I blame the "boss" not the employees. I went there once, over a year ago, and couldn't believe the incompetence and rudeness. They screwed up my hot dog order too. That spoke volumes to me about the management. Somehow I'm not surprised the owner is found out to be dealing with less than a "full deck." He deserves to go out of business, and the employees deserve a better boss, someone with more business sense and ethics.
I blame the owner/mgt too. But I'm not tipping for s****y service, that is the employee's responsibility.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM

471 posts, read 726,328 times
Oh Boy, this one got me fired up! There is no way the 66 business owner should get away with making his employees sign a paper saying they agree to be paid less than the legal limit. The whole idea of paying the waitstaff peanuts and making them beg the customers for the rest of their money is flawed from the start. Is the whole tip thing a way of saying that the element of quality service can not be make part of the job description, an expectation of performance rather than making it an option for the employees? If you give 10% to your Church, should you be expected to tip waitstaff higher to make up for what they are entitled to but are barred from getting due to their boss? Yes, I know that is another issue, but I for one will not continue to patronize a business that makes the employees sign away their legal rights "or else" I can't believe this is even legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or