Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times

Advertisements

The owner's son who also manages the place went to the home of an employee armed with a baseball bat and a machete. I guess this tells us what kind of people own and operate that place.

Here is the story, which I found in the online Santa Fe New Mexican:

Duke City wage fight leads to alleged confrontation
ALBUQUERQUE — An Albuquerque restaurant owner who says he’s not going to comply with the city’s new higher minimum wage is back in the news.
KRQE-TV reported that Eric Szeman’s son, Andrew Szeman, who manages the restaurant, showed up at the home of a restaurant server with a baseball bat and machete.
The employee — Kevin O’Leary — had gone public with the Route 66 Malt Shop not complying with the city’s wage law.
O’Leary said he was surprised when Andrew Szeman showed up at his Albuquerque home last Sunday afternoon.
Szeman said he just went to “talk” to O’Leary, but O’Leary said he plans to get a restraining order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Here is the KRQE report and video:

"Wage fight leds to bat and machete"
Upset over media coverage
Published : Friday, 22 Feb 2013, 8:09 AM MST
Wage fight leds to bat and machete

Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM

255 posts, read 626,973 times
"machete"..........Bwaa haaa haaa

Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
The owner's son who also manages the place went to the home of an employee armed with a baseball bat and a machete. I guess this tells us what kind of people own and operate that place.

Here is the story, which I found in the online Santa Fe New Mexican:

Duke City wage fight leads to alleged confrontation
ALBUQUERQUE — An Albuquerque restaurant owner who says he’s not going to comply with the city’s new higher minimum wage is back in the news.
KRQE-TV reported that Eric Szeman’s son, Andrew Szeman, who manages the restaurant, showed up at the home of a restaurant server with a baseball bat and machete.
The employee — Kevin O’Leary — had gone public with the Route 66 Malt Shop not complying with the city’s wage law.
O’Leary said he was surprised when Andrew Szeman showed up at his Albuquerque home last Sunday afternoon.
Szeman said he just went to “talk” to O’Leary, but O’Leary said he plans to get a restraining order.
Good grief.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,681 times
Oh my gosh!! I was already sad about the minimum wage thing, now I certainly won't feel comfortable supporting them! It's a shame, their vanilla ice cream is actually really good and their (overpriced) veggie burger was decent as well. I can't believe that someone would just go to someone's home with a MACHETE! How terrifying!! It might be an interesting court drama, I guess...

Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I know I would be willing to pay slightly higher prices in order for people to make a living wage.
min wage isn't a living wage and was never meant to be. It is a wage for those just starting out in the world of work, it is for the college kid who wants to work part time and pick up a few $$s or the housewife who wants to work part time to have a few extra $$s to spend on her kids or herself or the guy who wants a second job to make ends meet. So, don't confuse living wage with min wage. If every restaurant, for instrance paid a living wage they would go out of business cause most of us could not afford to eat out. Are you ready for that $15 hamburger?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
min wage isn't a living wage and was never meant to be. It is a wage for those just starting out in the world of work, it is for the college kid who wants to work part time and pick up a few $$s or the housewife who wants to work part time to have a few extra $$s to spend on her kids or herself or the guy who wants a second job to make ends meet. So, don't confuse living wage with min wage. If every restaurant, for instrance paid a living wage they would go out of business cause most of us could not afford to eat out. Are you ready for that $15 hamburger?
I see tons of people who are surely making minimum wage and they are not college students or just starting out. Norway has some of the highest wages--and prices--in the world and it has been #1 on the list of happiest nations and where citizens are most satisfied. If the guy has to get a second job paying minimum wage to make ends meet, how is anybody on minimum wage even going to come close to surviving? I agree that someone starting out shouldn't be making the same wages as someone more experienced, but people shouldn't have to rely on government assistance because minimum wage doesn't pay enough to afford life's essentials.

Regardless, this guy is breaking an ordinance that was voted in by the citizens of New Mexico. If he can't afford to pay the waiters the minimum $3 or $4 an hour, then his business isn't running well or he manages his finances very poorly.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Regardless, this guy is breaking an ordinance that was voted in by the citizens of New Mexico.
It is an Albuquerque City Ordinance and it was voted in by the citizens of Albuquerque.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is an Albuquerque City Ordinance and it was voted in by the citizens of Albuquerque.
Regardless, this guy is breaking an ordinance that was voted in by the citizens of Albuquerque.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Regardless, this guy is breaking an ordinance that was voted in by the citizens of Albuquerque.
So are the folks who let their dogs run off the leash on the Foothills Trails.

But, Whatcha gunna do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque