Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
UPDATE - Been here a year……. Still love it.

That is really cool that you enjoy it so much. I'm thinking about taking a road trip there in the future to do a little scouting. ABQ metro looks good to me on paper. I gotta get out there and check it out for myself.

I'm a weather wimp being used to So Cal weather and to be honest I'm a little concerned about the winters being too cold. I'm planning on going there next Dec/Jan to see for myself. I feel like I could probably get used to it, but you never know.

I'm very familiar with the typical desert summer/spring/fall as I've been to Phoenix, Vegas several times during those time frames and am familiar with that.

One of the things that concerns me a bit is the schools/jobs/poverty I keep reading about. We don't have kids, but I know that I want to live in areas with good schools as that usually attracts a little higher quality people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
The winters being too cold will suck for a little bit, youll climatise pretty quickly. At least I did. NM is the coldest place ive ever been (In Clayton) and I would be out in shorts when it got in the 40's. Living in TX now I am wrapped up in a hoodie till it hits the 70's. Its amazing how quickly one can adapt.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The winters being too cold will suck for a little bit, youll climatise pretty quickly. At least I did. NM is the coldest place ive ever been (In Clayton) and I would be out in shorts when it got in the 40's. Living in TX now I am wrapped up in a hoodie till it hits the 70's. Its amazing how quickly one can adapt.
Wow. I can't believe you thought NM was cold...LOL!!

Don't worry--I'm sure Houston is warming up quite nicely...and you can burn up this summer, LOL!

I miss the cold. While it's cooler here than in most other parts of Texas, it's still hot earlier and longer than in northern NM.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 PM

89 posts, read 270,490 times
Quote:
Ummmmm, you do realize that Clayton is almost 300 miles from Albuquerque, right. Look on a map son. Happy you like Tx and all, but comparing Clayton weather to ABQ outs you to any legitimate NM source. It averages 5-10 degrees colder every day. If you were out in shorts in 40 degree weather, then you were wearing shorts 12 months a year as the lowest HIGH average temp is 48 degrees in December.

Try living is somewhere that is actually cold before proclaiming yourself as a expert on cold weather.

Last edited by Mavs00; 04-16-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM

89 posts, read 270,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That is really cool that you enjoy it so much. I'm thinking about taking a road trip there in the future to do a little scouting. ABQ metro looks good to me on paper. I gotta get out there and check it out for myself.

I'm a weather wimp being used to So Cal weather and to be honest I'm a little concerned about the winters being too cold. I'm planning on going there next Dec/Jan to see for myself. I feel like I could probably get used to it, but you never know.

I'm very familiar with the typical desert summer/spring/fall as I've been to Phoenix, Vegas several times during those time frames and am familiar with that.

One of the things that concerns me a bit is the schools/jobs/poverty I keep reading about. We don't have kids, but I know that I want to live in areas with good schools as that usually attracts a little higher quality people.
I live in a very safe area of the city (Ventana area) and it is FAR safer then anywhere else I've lived (in the same "tax" bracket - I'm squarely middle class). Come visit. Albuquerque on paper is NOTHING like what Albuquerque is in real life. It's culture, it's vibe is WAYYYYYY BETTER than it is on paper. Love it more everyday.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
We too left NM due to the cold (Southern upbringing). Despite that, we are considering returning. I like NM people, generally. They usually allow you to be who you are and give you space. Here in Florida (the Texas of the East), the rigid, Christian right wing attitudes of the east coast retirees, mixed w/ the tea party rednecks, can be stifling. Forget local culture, there is NO culture. I found the UNM area to be a hub of good cultural feelings.

One thing I should mention is that the Mexicans in Albuquerque (I refuse to use the stupid word that the US census made up to describe all Latinos) tend to be more "militant". There can sometimes be a bad vibe between them and the Anglos, especially on one side of town. If you're young you'll get more of it. Crime can be an issue too, and we're a little spooked by the actions of the people that are supposed to protect the citizenry, as everyone else probably is. Still, Albuquerque has something that I miss.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
Lol, 40's....that's shorts and t-shirt weather! I'm guessing you haven't spent any winters in the Midwest or Northeast.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Lol, 40's....that's shorts and t-shirt weather! I'm guessing you haven't spent any winters in the Midwest or Northeast.
IIRC BrianH is originally from Ireland....he should be used to cool dam weather (year round, LOL).

I'm used to much colder temps than most of NM but I have to admit it can get chilly at night
even for me, but unlike a lot of places, NM (below 7000 ft) usually warms up nicely most days.
Except for that record setting big freeze back in feb 2011.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,437 times
Be sure to visit both Albuquerque and Phoenix. The cultures are very different. Having lived in both places, I think you will find Albuquerque very agreeable if you like rubbing shoulders with different cultures. I like to say that ABQ is the closest thing to living in a foreign country in the US. Due to its relative isolation, the culture and history of this area has not assimilated like most large cities, and it stamps everything from architecture to food. It is one of the beautiful strengths of this city, but you need to experience it and decide if it is right for you - some folks cannot handle it. If you are open to new cultures (and can see the good in them) ABQ is a wonderful experience (as is all of New Mexico). Winter in ABQ is mild and the summers are generally never as harsh as they are in Phoenix.

Phoenix is a much more generically American city. You will not see the same sort of cultural influences that you have in ABQ. You have lots more gated communities, and some of the worst hate radio (aimed at immigrants) I've ever heard. I get the sense that people move here to escape diversity. It does not have the laid back and hospitable spirit that makes ABQ more open and accepting of all types of people. (This is not a knee jerk opinion, I lived here for more than three years). The summers are downright brutal here, but the winters are like being on spring vacation.

Visit both places with realistic expectations before making a decision!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 AM

28 posts, read 72,360 times
Tbh, long story short, it's a great place to live IMO if you have money and connections. I think a lot of people here on CD are in denial about the serious social problems we are facing at this time. There is a disparity between the richest and poorest Alburquerqueans that would rival Los Angeles when adjusted per capita, a high crime rate, and a police force that even under the investigation of the DOJ is continuing to conduct itself just plain wrecklessly.

Ok... still want to come out here? Because there are many upsides too. ABQ was rating one of the fittest cities a few years ago due to the many walking and biking trails throughout the city, the views here are very unique, if you're an artsy type, I've always felt there's an awful lot to look at in terms of galleries and such for a city this size. Downtown is so hipster these days, if you're into that sort of thing. I honestly am starting to wonder if I'm the only one who is noticing that it's gentrifying. And if you can afford the poshness of the far NE heights you'll absolutely love the views and general demeanor of the people around there. I think in this case gentrification would be great because it's discouraging the gangsters from hanging out downtown. The only parts I see them congregating at is by the Alvarado Railrunner station and they tend to keep among themselves. I dunno though, I don't go downtown on weekends.

I live in Rio Rancho, not ABQ per se but part of the area, but I'm in ABQ all the time so that's my take on things.

Can't say anything about Phoenix, as I've never been there and know nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque