Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,119 times

Advertisements

For me, the wind only adds to the overall suckage factor when I'm stuck riding my roadie bike out on the open road.

You can easily see monsoons forming and as long as you aren't in an arroyo or drainage ditch/canal you are fine with just a light rain jacket.

You can run/cycle ever single day here. Using the weather for not getting out is just an excuse, a bad one at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 AM

257 posts, read 608,774 times
Ok, I wasn't sure if the wind was blowing sand around so badly you couldn't see or would cause problems breathing while running. I look at the weather forecast recently and many days say "Wind" and others said it can get bad, but I didn't know what "bad" meant.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM

As a side note, how many miles of trails are there for Nordic (not downhill) skiing in driving distance of Albuquerque? I know you can do it, but wasn't sure how many miles of trails there actually were. thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
Ok, I wasn't sure if the wind was blowing sand around so badly you couldn't see or would cause problems breathing while running. I look at the weather forecast recently and many days say "Wind" and others said it can get bad, but I didn't know what "bad" meant.
There have been a few of those days, but not that often in Albuquerque. Other parts of New Mexico can be more severe.

Wind Weather:

Got Wind?
Wind Gusts and Wind Chill ABQ Area
Wind in New Mexico
How Much Does The Wind Bother People - Carrizozo Area
Wind Chill Of Ten Below? Las Cruces
Allergies, Eczema, Wind in Albuquerque
Avoiding High Wind Areas - Alamogordo and Ruidoso Areas
Cruces newcomers - Sick of the wind yet?
Albuquerque Weather - Severe Downslope Wind

Rich

Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Wow looks bad though. I guess if it's not that many days one could run on a treadmill (though I HATE the dreadmill...)

Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
Wow looks bad though. I guess if it's not that many days one could run on a treadmill (though I HATE the dreadmill...)
Current Conditions For Albuquerque, NM:
  • Clear
  • 42°
  • Wind: NNW at 17
  • Humidity: 19%
  • Dewpoint: 2°
  • Pressure: 29.79 in.

But it feels much worse for me after walking around in it for 30 minutes today... Some will say that's nothing, overblown etc... But notice it is Clear! My treadmill is dead, considering it for days like this. Or I might push a grocery cart around Walmart or Home Depot...

Read more: Albuquerque New Mexico Weather, Video, Radar, Alerts and Forecast - KOAT Action 7 News Albuquerque

Quote:
High Wind Warning in New Mexico

Active for next 9 hours
Locations: Central Highlands; East Slopes Sangre de Cristo Mountains; Eastern Lincoln County; Estancia Valley; Far Northeast Highlands; Guadalupe County; Jemez Mountains; Lower Rio Grande Valley; Middle Rio Grande Valley, Albuquerque Metro Area; Northeast Highlands; Northern Sangre de Cristos above 9500 feet, Red River; Raton Ridge, Johnson Mesa; Sandia, Manzano Mountains; Santa Fe Metro Area; South Central Highlands; South Central Mountains; Southern Sangre de Cristos above 9500 feet; Southwest Chaves County; Southwest Mountains; Upper Tularosa Valley; West Central Highlands; West Central Mountains; West Slopes Sangre de Cristo MountainsPosted 6 hours ago – National Weather Service
  • How likely:
  • How soon:
  • How severe:

The original text for this alert has been automatically reformatted to correct capitalization.
Strong and possibly damaging winds today for many locations east of the Continental Divide.
Strong northwest winds associated with a powerful cold front and upper level storm system will blast into northern and central New Mexico today. Areas of blowing dust will significantly reduce visibilities at lower elevations, especially along and south of I-40. In the far northeast and North Central light snow may result in minor accumulations but will produce areas of reduced visibilities in blowing snow, and wind chill values will be in the teens.
High Wind Warning remains in effect from 11 am this morning to 8 pm MDT this evening.
  • Location: much of central New Mexico, including the majority of the central mountain chain and adjacent Highlands and plains, the middle and lower Rio Grande Valley including the Albuquerque and Santa Fe metro areas, and portions of the West Central, northwest and southwest mountains.
  • Winds: northwest 25 to 45 mph with gusts ranging from 55 to 60 mph.
  • Timing: winds will strengthen mid to late morning then peak during the afternoon hours before slowly tapering off after sunset.
  • Visibility: areas of blowing dust will reduce visibilities to 3 miles or less. At the higher terrain of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains near the Colorado border and east along the Johnson Mesa, light snow may result in minor accumulations but will produce areas of reduced visibilities in blowing snow.
  • Local Impacts: hazardous Crosswinds will impact north to south oriented roads, including portions of I-25 from the Sierra and Socorro County line to Raton Pass. Lightweight and unsecured Objects may become airborne.

Recommended actions

Remember, A High Wind Warning means damaging winds are imminent or highly likely. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
N8!

There is Nordic (xc) skiing on Sandia Peak 25 min from ABQ (add another 35 min if you are coming from the Westside. You can also ride the tramway up xc ski & ride it back back. Usually there is enough snow to xc on Sandia for a couple months - something longer.

Santa Fe always has skiing and you can always pull off the road in the Jemez Mts and xc.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times
The wind is starting to howl now but I did my 5-mile run before 8 this morning while it was still just a little breezy. I'm with N8!, compared to other places the weather in ABQ is almost never an excuse to stay inside. Today and tonight it will get ugly but by tomorrow it will be gorgeous again.

I have run races in pretty hefty winds. People still showed up by the thousands. I can't think of anywhere that has better year-round weather with hardly any days at all when you cannot train outdoors. Maybe Hawaii? I haven't used a treadmill in years.

Editing to add: if you are looking for problems, maybe the biggest problem will be that you WANT to find an excuse not to go outside and be active, but there isn't one. Sometimes I get tired of the weather being so great day after day. Sometimes I want a rainy day as an excuse to stay inside and read a book. Seldom happens.

This guy sums it up pretty well (skip the hokey Chamber of Commerce parts):

Albuquerque's Outdoors Expert - Art Gardenswartz - YouTube

Last edited by aries63; 03-23-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times
X-country skiing. I can't find the exact number of miles in the Sandias, but it is probably in the dozens, some pretty steep in places. Friends of the Sandia Mountains: Winter Activities

About an hour and a half away is the Valles Caldera. "There are over 37 miles of trails to choose from ranging from easy to difficult." Valles Caldera National Preserve

And for a longer trip, there's the Enchanted Forest near Red River: Enchanted Forest XC Ski and Snowshoe Area - New Mexico cross country ski, Red River Cross Country ski, New Mexico snow shoe, cross country ski lessons, yurt rentals, dog trails

Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
N8!

Sandia Feb 2010

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque