Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is allowed, but there is a website (cargurus.com) that accesses dealer databases nationwide and will allow you to price shop. It also assesses the price of each vehicle with the average for that vehicle/class and lets you know if it is a good deal or not. Tells you how long that car has been on the lot (speaks to bargaining power).

Also, if you are buying a brand new car, then you can purchase it from anywhere in the nation and have it shipped to you (sometimes the cost of buying elsewhere plus shipping is lower than the cost of buying in Albuquerque). I wouldn't recommend doing that with a used car, but a brand new Honda is a brand new Honda.

If the website is redacted from the post, you can send me a personal message and I will give you the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 18,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMark View Post
My experience on a certified used car from Garcia Honda left a bad taste in my mouth. It mainly had to do with the extended warranty hustle. But they're probably not any worse than any of the other car manufacturers' dealers. I've bought and sold a couple cars at CarMax and there wasn't the high-pressure sales tactics of most car lots.
Thank you all for your replies We ended up in Honda Perfection and gosh it took hours of negotiations! But we ended up with a 1 year old Honda. They already had a good price on it (the cheapest from all the places I checked online like Kelley Blue Book and car gurus and other dealers etc) and went down by further $700 which we were really happy about. Overall good experience but a loooong one! The financing guy was trying to push the extended warranty on us , scaring us with Hondas being the most stolen cars and the expensive parts of all the new technology that 2012 has and he sounded like he was upset that we didn't want to take it which I found a little rude. I know what I am doing and when I say I don't want it that means I don't!

So yeah I have a car, the experience of buying my 1st car wasn't the greatest but I was glad I had my husband with me as you need a good negotiator to be able to put up with these guys

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Don't feel so bad. Buying a car is rarely a good experience overall until you drive it off the lot. I will never ever step foot on a Dealer lot ever again. I buy all my cars via email/internet now.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 18,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Don't feel so bad. Buying a car is rarely a good experience overall until you drive it off the lot. I will never ever step foot on a Dealer lot ever again. I buy all my cars via email/internet now.
Are you talking about new cars? I wouldn't be confident to do that now but I am sure when I am changing my car in the future I will be more experienced yeah dealing with them and listening to their reasoning was annoying but that's just another "tick" in my life experience I guess Cheers!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi777 View Post
Are you talking about new cars? I wouldn't be confident to do that now but I am sure when I am changing my car in the future I will be more experienced yeah dealing with them and listening to their reasoning was annoying but that's just another "tick" in my life experience I guess Cheers!
Both. I have purchased both used and new via email/internet. I should have said 'I I will never ever step foot on a Dealer lot ever again to negotiate a deal'. I do all the negotiating electronically. Get my financing through my lending institution.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
I have a great passion of dislike for new car dealers, the scams are all the same. Please, before anyone buys a new Honda or anything else, go on the internet and look for "auto sales stories" and please read and read all the tricks and scams that are shared by sales people and the methods suggested by sales managers for their staff to use. Go into the dealer, if you have to, with full awareness and your guard up. Realize that there are always 3 separate deals with any new car, they are not combined, and the dealer only wants to link them as part of the 3 walnut shells and the pea scam to get more money from you. The purchase price of the new car, the value of your trade (there is no such thing as an allowance on your trade towards a new car. Your car is worth only so much and if they claim to give you way more than it is worth, they are linking the deals and will make it up somewhere else). The third deal is the finance dept, always let them think you will finance with them at the end, (don't buy on "payment") They may be more eager to give you a better price on the car if they are thinking they will get one last chance to ********* at the end. Please read sales stories on the 'net first, you will be both amazed and glad you did...!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM

255 posts, read 626,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I do not agree with that. They just recently started dealing with vehicles from 5 to 6 years old.
Carmax has sold current model year and vehicles up to 10 years old since their inception in 1993.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
One more thing, when you go in a dealership and see an "extra" sticker, ( sometimes made to resemble the factory sticker in hopes to fool you ), on the car with dealer add-ons and other pricy garbage listed on it, turn around and walk out. They are building the price up so they can cry and wring their hands and "reluctantly" reduce the price down to the full retail list on the main sticker and make you think that" golly gee whiz what a great negotiator you are".

It all comes down to money: your money and their attempt to get the most of it. There should be no emotion involved in a vehicle purchase, though the dealer would like you to think so in hopes you are only seeing the shiny paint and not the fine print. Remember that new car is dropping in value the second you get the keys and you will never have a second chance to get the best deal....

Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 AM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
I just noticed that in my post on page 1 I said my husband worked for Perfection and didn't have a good experience. I meant to say that he worked for Garcia. I must have had Perfection on the brain when I typed that. Moderator cut: (EDITED/CORRECTED changed Perfection to Garcia)

To the OP and anyone else who buys a new Honda -- You have 3 years/36k miles to decide if you want to buy an extended warranty. If you do decide to get one, there is a better option from a dealership in RI that sells the Honda Care warranty online much cheaper than you can get locally. It's the same Honda warranty and is NOT an aftermarket company. There are excellent reviews on the web and from car forums. There are similar deals for the Toyota extended warranty from dealerships back east, too. Don't fall for the line from the dealer that they don't honor those warranties. That is hogwash because it is a HONDA warranty, not an aftemarket warranty. I used to sell new cars and this warranty is good as gold. Price increases do occur on these warranties, so you'd save some money buying it now vs later to avoid a $200-$300 price increase.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the the dealership, but a simple google search will give you the results or you can send me a PM for the info.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-13-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the the dealership, but a simple google search will give you the results or you can send me a PM for the info.
You have over 10 posts, so you can make recommendations on your actual experiences with the business, and post a URL. (This does not apply to real estate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque