Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are your pets (dogs, cats) licensed if in Bernalillo County?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 6 50.00%
What is a pet license? 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM

850 posts, read 3,702,900 times

Advertisements

I just learned recently that dogs and cats must be licensed in Bernalillo County. I had never even heard of pet licensing until recently, so I'm just curious how many others have done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,538,661 times
Our pet dogs have all been properly licensed, but we live in Sandoval County...

Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,363,013 times
I don't know about Bernalillo County but this has been a City of Albuquerque requirement for many years. It may have started with the HEART Ordinance of October 2006. An Albuquerque City Councilor, I think from the north valley, sponsored the ordinance. The ordinance limited number of pets, required microchips, etc. and required cats to be confined to your property and subject to a leash law. I purchased the yearly license when I took my cats into the vet for their annual exam and shots. However I did not get the impression that the vets enforced it much - more like "do you want to buy a license or not?" But once you purchased the first license and got into their system, some company in Texas sent you a reminder every year.

I'm not surprised that Bernalillo County now requires a license - their website states this is the case. But I could not find when this requirement started.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,270,038 times
I’m in ABQ. I never knew there was licensing until we took the dogs for their first annual since we moved here. Got cards in the mail 5 months later from the city. I think when vets give a rabies shot, it must go in a database somewhere. My dogs (rescues) have chips, but we never activated accounts for the chips. Gonna have to go by the vet and have them scanned so I can re-up with some chip company.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 AM

53 posts, read 47,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I’m in ABQ. I never knew there was licensing until we took the dogs for their first annual since we moved here. Got cards in the mail 5 months later from the city. I think when vets give a rabies shot, it must go in a database somewhere. My dogs (rescues) have chips, but we never activated accounts for the chips. Gonna have to go by the vet and have them scanned so I can re-up with some chip company.
That is what I am going to have to deal with when we move. Plus we have too many pets so I need to apply for a special license. Most of them are chipped but I have also never paid for the accounts to I am going to have to sort them all out too. At least they are all fixed and vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque