Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

We will be returning to ABQ again this September. Mrs Mike and I love photography and National and State parks.

We do not want to repeat the grueling trip we took last year. ABQ-Tucson -Canyon De Chelie - Monument Valley - Great Sand Dunes and back to ABQ.

We want to take it a little easier on ourselves this year.

We will fly on on a Monday Night and leave a week later, either Sunday or Monday. Vacation set for Sept 9 or a week later,

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Acoma Pueblo
Salinas Pueblo Missions
Jemez Mountains

for a few

Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I second the Jemez Mountains. It has been a few years since I was there and we camped. The area was extremely crowded on the weekend. Not sure how it would be in September, but you might consider making this a middle or beginning of the week trip.

Also love:
Kasha-Katuwe Tent rocks
Grants area: El Mal Pias area //www.nps.gov/elma/index.htm, Inscription Rock, La Ventena Arch, ice caves and lots of volcanoes.
Abiquiu area: Lots of color and driving around on various roads in this region. The Ghost Ranch where Georgia O'Keeffe is up there. I can't remember if this area had a lot of parks. I just remember the area as 'beautiful'.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 04-25-2013 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: can't type

Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
Agree with Abiquiu area -- gorgeous red rocks and a treat for any Georgia O'Keeffe fan. Going south to see White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns is also an option, or you could go west to see the petrified forest.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

212 posts, read 371,514 times
Albuquerque is a fantastic city but you may want to consider making Santa Fe your base, if at least for a day or two, to be more centrally located in the truly scenic northern part of the state. I enthusiastically agree with the Jemez Mountains - they are not to be missed, particularly the Valles Caldera (your jaw will drop). But if you find them too crowded, or just want another thing to do, I highly recommend the Pecos River Valley. You absolutely cannot go wrong going there. I have been all over New Mexico and I've decided that this area is my absolute favorite. There is outdoor recreation galore and the scenery is amazing. Its an easy day trip from either ABQ or SF. From Santa Fe take I-25 north to the Pecos exit, left at the town of Pecos, follow signs to Cowles, drive all the way up to Jake's Creek campground and have a picnic. Part of this road is the old, pre-1937 Route 66. Watch or the ghost of Tom Joad!

Also for great pictures you must go see the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge outside of Taos. If you don't have acrophobia you can walk across it and look down almost 600 feet to the Rio Grande below.

Also check out:
Sandia Peak/Sandia Tramway
Hyde Memorial State Park
Fenton Lake State Park
Nambe Falls
Abiquiu Lake & Dam (be sure to drive down to the bottom)
Orilla Verde Recreation Area (awesome Rio Grande photo op)
Bandelier National Monument

Do you know about Chaco Canyon?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
5.5 hrs from ABQ is Sedona, AZ... not to be missed, unless you are staying only in NM.

In that case, the mountains around Gallup are quite beautiful too.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
If you go to the Pecos area stop in at the Pecos National Monument very interesting and then drive up the Pecos river beautiful area. Depending on far you want to go Las Vegas is an interesting town with tons of wonderful old buildings and town plaza. Past L.V. to the east are the remains of Fort Union, once the largest fort west of the Mississippi, it protected the Santa Fe trail. There is so much to see and do within a couple of hours of ABQ. one could go on for hours naming places. We will be back in the fall and am sure we will find things we have missed on our numerous other visits. Have a great visit to a special place!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I suggest the "Turquoise Trail" to Santa Fe and the "High Road to Taos". There are innumerable interesting things to do in that area.

In the other direction are Socorro/Magdalena and the VLA Radio Telescope. Out Rt 380 are the "Valley of Fire" lava fields and Carrizozo with a side trip to White Oaks.

I also suggest getting a copy of Benchmark Maps "New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas" and any tourist info available from the State of NM.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Default Vacation Extended

As of today our vacation was extended from the last Tuesday in September until the first Thursday of Oct 2013

Last year, we put almost 2000 miles on a rental car (see the first post)

I love the idea about breaking the trip in half or thirds. ABQ is a given. Santa Fe or Taos is possible.

Being a photographer, I am interested in great landscapes. Mrs M loves Native American Jewelry. Usually easy to do in the SW.

So, the question becomes, what can we do without driving so much and coming home needing a vacation?

It appears to me, other than the Sedona suggestion (we've been there 5-6 times) most of your suggestions are great. We have done the Silverton Durrango and the Grand Canyon RRs (we are also railroad buffs) Ive looked at Cumbres & Toltec Railroad Thumbs up or down??

Also, we haven't been to Chaco Culture NHP or Pueblo in the Sky

Keep your ideas coming, we love em!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 AM

212 posts, read 371,514 times
First of all, if you are going that late in the season then you should DEFINITELY consider going to the balloon fiesta. You might also still be in time for the fall colors in the mountains. Look into that for sure.

The great thing about the Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Taos area is that IS so much to see and do within very easy driving distance. And the scenic byways are easily incorporated into your inter-city travel. Stay a few nights in ABQ and take the Turquoise Trail to Santa Fe. Spend a few nights there and take the High Road to Taos. Spend a few nights there. On the way back from Taos you take the route through the canyon along the Rio Grande. Just about anywhere you go in the area is a scenic adventure.

In between you do the day trips, museum visits, picnics, hikes and shopping excursions.

You will have no trouble finding Native American jewelry (or Native American anything for that matter) most places you go, particularly in Old Town ABQ and Santa Fe plaza.

Chaco Canyon is a Native American pueblo ruin site northwest of ABQ. It is easily on par with Canyon De Chelly and Mesa Verde. In fact it is a UNESCO World Heritage site. If you are determined to go it would be worth it, but the route there includes a notorious 20 mile stretch of washboard dirt road. It tends to get very muddy in the rain and the chance of getting mired is very real. Plus it is extremely hot, dry and services are limited and basic. I've never been there myself but it is well known that a trip to Chaco Canyon must very carefully planned.

I have yet to visit Acoma/Sky City so I have no first-hand knowledge to offer, but there is plenty of information about it to found on the internet.

I can absolutely guarantee you that you will not be wanting for picturesque landscapes and scenery most places that you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque