Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 44,024 times

Advertisements

We will be spending an extended amount of time in Albuquerque during my kids summer vacation from school (our vacation is July and August). My kids are teenage girls and I know they will enjoy their time in Albuquerque more if they can meet other teens to hang out with. Do you have any ideas where my kids can meet other teens? I'm considering a teen art class for one daughter (any recommendations?), but my other daughter isn't much of an artist or an athlete.

Are there places where teens can volunteer--maybe with animals?

I appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM

366 posts, read 869,266 times
Teens is a pretty wide range, if they are 16 or over I would say to try and get a summer job, although I know that isn't really practical in this day and age, especially if you are out of town.

Some ideas:

It seems like every church in Albuquerque has a Vacation Bible School at least for one week if not several all summer. You could look into some churches and see if any interest you.

The museums and such usually have summer camps:
* Camps for Grades 7 - 9 — City of Albuquerque
*Home | New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
*Summer Camp - Explora
*Schedule of Spanish Classes
*2013 Science Is Everywhere Summer Camp || Kids Camp || For Families || The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
*Challenger Learning Center New Mexico - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Community Centers/Gyms:
*JCC Albuquerque
*Teens | Programs | YMCA of Central New Mexico
*Seasonal Camps
*Duke City Fencing
*Summer Vacation Camp

I don't know how many, if any of these will be applicable and in my experience with the programs for the younger kids, they fill up early, not sure if that is true with teenagers.

Also the kids here start school August 14th, so you won't find any programs after the August 5th - 9th week.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM

19 posts, read 44,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
Teens is a pretty wide range, if they are 16 or over I would say to try and get a summer job, although I know that isn't really practical in this day and age, especially if you are out of town.

Some ideas:

It seems like every church in Albuquerque has a Vacation Bible School at least for one week if not several all summer. You could look into some churches and see if any interest you.

Also the kids here start school August 14th, so you won't find any programs after the August 5th - 9th week.
Thank you. My kids are 15 and 16, so too old for most of the day camp programs. I know our visit doesn't completely coincide with the local summer break. I think we are probably arriving too late to snap up one of the few summer jobs available to teens and it wouldn't be fair to take a job from a local kid. I'm trying to figure out where older teens hand-out and socialize.

I think maybe one girl might like an art class or art program, the other maybe something to do with film or music or volunteering with animals.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM

366 posts, read 869,266 times
Yea that's rough I don't know that any of those camps were for older than 14.

I've known people who volunteered at the animal shelter, but I think it is more like an unpaid job were they want you to commit to a long period of time before they go about training you. They don't have much information online: Online Volunteer Application Form — City of Albuquerque

Two places that I think will take volunteers pretty much at any time if they need the help:
Volunteer Application
Volunteer in Alb. and Las Cruces | Roadrunner Food Bank

Many of those camps need teenage volunteers to help out, but they probably already have those positions filled.

Here is the cities page for volunteer stuff: Volunteer Opportunities — City of Albuquerque

As far as where they can hang out I can't help you, it has been a long time since I was a teenager and my kids aren't teenagers yet. I did a quick search for art camps, but couldn't find any for over 14.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
From the City of Albuquerque Website: Information about youth organizations in the Albuquerque area. I'm not sure if this includes teens helping out...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-10-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque