U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 56,293 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Albuquerque from North Carolina in Febraury. He was born and raised there but I only visited once. We're expecting our first child in July and I will need to find a job and put our baby in daycare. Does anyone know of a good daycare for infants? Also I intend to breast feed so they would need to take care to keep the breast milk refrigerated, not sure how that works with daycare. I'm just really nervous about everything with the move, the new baby, trying to find a job, so any help or advice is appreciated!! Thanks so much!! Also we would be living on the North West side of Albuquerque. I have my bachelor's degree in Human Resources, any good jobs available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM

706 posts, read 2,558,422 times
Hi Falling Star - being in HR you should easily find a job here in ABQ. You can look at my employer Gap Inc. Go to gap.com, look for careers, then look for the Corporate Shared Service Center which is located in Downtown ABQ. I know the U.S. Forest Service has roughly 400-700 positions here in their centralized HR facility. Go to Monster, Craigslist, or other search engines to find positions here.

I don't have kids yet, so I can't help with the daycare question, sorry.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM

1,419 posts, read 4,105,214 times
La Petite is a solid day care program. I always liked Bright Beginnings the best, but they got bought by La Petite. Learning Centers at La Petite They, however, won't take kids until 6 months.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 AM

14 posts, read 56,293 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely check out those jobs.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

742 posts, read 2,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingstar76 View Post
We're expecting our first child in July and I will need to find a job and put our baby in daycare. Does anyone know of a good daycare for infants? Also I intend to breast feed so they would need to take care to keep the breast milk refrigerated, not sure how that works with daycare.
Regarding daycare: As a new mom, one of the first fundamental decisions you're going to have to make is whether you're more comfortable with a "commercial" day care facility or an in-home day care site. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

The commercial facilities are more closely regulated/inspected, but also potentially subject your child to a larger number of potential carriers of childhood illnesses. This is not to say your child will not be exposed to the same illnesses at an in-home site, just that the greater the number of children in a facility, the greater the risk of exposure. Just know one thing in advance (and I speak from experience): if your child is in daycare, count on them getting sick fairly regularly.

Another consideration is the amount of attention available to be given to your child. It has been my general experience that a good in-home daycare will provide a more "heart-felt" caring environment than a comparably good commercial facility. This may be more important to you during your child's early months (1-18 mos.). On the other hand, I've found that commercial sites offer more in the way of mental stimulation as your child gets older (18-48 mos.)

As far as breast feeding goes, any decent daycare place should be able to accommodate this. In fact, depending on where you end up working and its proximity to your daycare provider, you may be able to visit your baby for lunchtime feedings. My wife was able to do this, and it was beneficial for both her our child.

I have experience with La Petite, and while their services were far from terrible, I don't know that I would whole-heartedly recommend them. A couple of commercial places I would recommend are Springstone Montessori and Covenant Schools. They each have facilities on the west side/ Rio Rancho.

But I would highly recommend interviewing some in-home care sites once you get to ABQ. That way you give yourself the opportunity to see what is out there on both sides. Good luck!

Chap

Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 22,726 times
Pepermint Stick was a wonderful daycare for my children,
I think that their policy is that your kid has to be potty trained OR bring candy,
Haha they will tell you why.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 11,713 times
Baby Farm is Albuquerques first and only Licensed Infant Only Daycare/development center. They only cater to infants 6 weeks to 23 months. They are located in the heights. Best wishes on your search.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:31 PM

3,556 posts, read 8,524,470 times
Baby Farm? That sounds awful.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 AM

195 posts, read 399,308 times
also, La Petite sounds sexist. what about Le Petit?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 11,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingstar76 View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Albuquerque from North Carolina in Febraury. He was born and raised there but I only visited once. We're expecting our first child in July and I will need to find a job and put our baby in daycare. Does anyone know of a good daycare for infants? Also I intend to breast feed so they would need to take care to keep the breast milk refrigerated, not sure how that works with daycare. I'm just really nervous about everything with the move, the new baby, trying to find a job, so any help or advice is appreciated!! Thanks so much!! Also we would be living on the North West side of Albuquerque. I have my bachelor's degree in Human Resources, any good jobs available?

hello~ as far as the daycare issue goes you may want to really check into the home daycare me being a first time mom I loved the idea of my child getting the special attention rather then be number if you were to put them in a commercial facility.If you choose to go that route I would not put your child in any La Petite Academy especially on the Northwest side depending on exactly were you are going to be living on the NW side I would say no to the La Petite-New Vistas location. I looked into that one for my son [FONT=Arial]The place was very, very filthy, and the place smelled like you were standing in a kitty litter box. And seems they will hire just about anyone to work there. A place I would never put my kids. Springstone I heard very good things about and there is one on NW side. But like I mentioned there are awesome in home daycares but its up to you to take the time to go and meet the person running it and see what the home is like. No matter where you decide your motherly side will let you know what place is best for you and your new baby. By the way [FONT=Arial]congratulations[/FONT]!!![/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque