Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:58 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,049,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Albuquerque = San Diego's weather with an added bonus of a mild Fall and mild Winter ( if you enjoy 4 seasons )

Plus you get the additional benefit of the smell of green chili in the fall !
In case someone stumbles across this little tid bit when doing future research...San Diego and ABQ weather are not the same at all. Your adjunct of 'plus mild fall and mild winter' alone disqualify that statement. lol
SD humidity [unless you are in anza borrego desert inland] ranges from 40-85%, ABQ from 5-99% according to online stats. SD weather averages low 70-s to 80's, with a few weeks below or above at different times of year. [while the rest of the country is sweltering in august, SD typically has 2 weeks, sometimes less or a week more] of above 90 weather, along the coast. Inland 10 miles or so and i'ts about 10 degrees warmer. ABQ altitude is 5300 ft (same as Denver) while SD is between sea level and 1500 feet [though you can be at 3k within an hour]. Average rainfall may be similar, but with added snow, overall precipitation is higher in ABQ.

I LOVE ABQ and NM. Just saying that this portrait is not accurate. I was in ABQ last year for jr olympic nationals [hosted there that year] that my child participated in...and many of the so cal kids had significant trouble with both the altitude and dryness. Obv. most people get used to it when living there. But balmy and palm trees is what you notice as soon as you land in san diego at the airport downtown. Dry air in the lungs is the first experience stepping out of the ABQ airport.

Just in case someone in the future reads this while researching...not the same. at all. I've also lived in Denver and would classify ABQ closer to that than SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,695,325 times
From the responses so far, I would second Reno and Grand Junction as being similar. Perhaps Pueblo, CO. and Boise, ID. would also be worth a look. Medford, OR is also pretty nice, but the winters are much more humid. A little university is in Ashland (adjacent town), and the summers are pretty hot, but with low humidity, and amazing rivers to cool off in.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
Nothing like "Hot August Nights" in Reno, great little city. We lived there for one year, was a bit too cold for my wife, we both liked it a lot. Over all Albuquerque has much better weather, lived there 8 Years, that's about all I can say for ABQ. Oh, I almost forgot, Good Chile!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,183,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I would say

1) Denver , Reno, and Tuscon -- Denver gets a lot more snow in late winter, but it melts quickly
More so than ABQ, I always thought Las Cruces weather was similar to Tucson's. Lot of parallels between ABQ and Tucson but I don't think weather/climate is really one of them.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 15,048 times
It's somewhat similar to Amarillo tx

Old 04-21-2015, 12:14 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
Not all that similar, seems like Amarillo is a lot more humid in the summer than ABQ.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM

4,814 posts, read 4,712,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Not all that similar, seems like Amarillo is a lot more humid in the summer than ABQ.
And an astronomically higher chance of a tornado in Amarillo than in ABQ, and the winter there can be much icier than in ABQ.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM

155 posts, read 147,231 times
ABQ and the central valley of NM are arid and intermountain, just warm-enough winters to be in the desert southwest, and long, moderately hot summers without the obcene heat <3000' like Tucson, etc.

VERY
Silver City NM (like ABQ foothills E of Juan Tabo)
Bishop CA
Prescott, Payson AZ (like ABQ foothills E of Juan Tabo, but wetter)
Marfa, Fort Davis TX (winter days warmer, summer cooler, wetter)

BARELY
San Diego County mountains / high desert >4000' (like foothills, but little population, more winter snow/rain)
Grand Jct CO (winters colder, summer drier)
Moab UT (winters cooler, summers hotter like El Paso)

Not buying Reno and Salt Lake: the 1st is too cold at night and winter and a short growing season; the 2nd has winters too cold and 6x the snow! And I mean much different...those are Great Basin, ABQ is Chihuahuan Desert transitioning to Colorado Plateau. Denver not even close, as it's 2x as wet and on the central great plains...except the rare day or two and at similar elevations on I-25...I grew up in Denver, and there are many climate reasons I moved to ABQ, not just tan stucco. Las Cruces is more similar than any of those, but it's still 1 climate zone warmer and I like it more on many levels though small.

You might be shocked on culture, sophistication, class, education, etc. leaving Austin for ABQ. Or most anywhere in the SW, except larger cities or Tucson which is ABQ's better-looking sister. Not sure on culture and university, as ABQ has little of the 1st but definitely the 2nd and sometimes called "Berkeley South"! Payson is small, Marfa is really unusual and hard to buy into.

But what ABQ has on culture, etc is that it's a 60 minute drive to the parts of Santa Fe w/ world-class museums, restaurants, galleries, and so on that usually don't happen in smaller places. And at 2000' higher, it's more pleasant in summer and actually snows more in winter. If you like a sharper winter and ABQ still isn't enough, SF won't disappoint.

Last edited by nmdesert; 02-11-2017 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 04:03 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
I think Prescott,Arizona has a similar climate to Albuquerque.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,393,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
The only place that I am familiar with that would meet your criteria is the Tri-Cities area in southeast Washington. Slightly cooler on average, but the temperature tracks Albuquerque fairly closely, 300+ days of sunshine, 550ft. Rainfall is opposite though, most rain in the winter and very little in the summer. Not sure about humidity.
I've heard eastern WA gets really cold and dry in winter...similar with Idaho of course just over the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque