Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM

444 posts, read 820,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
1.) Are there excise taxes on vehicles?
3% Motor Vehicle Excise Tax
To be clear, is this a tax paid when you buy the vehicle, or paid yearly? For example, MA has an excise tax that is "$25 per one thousand dollars of valuation" CIS: Motor Vehicle Excise Information and paid every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
To be clear, is this a tax paid when you buy the vehicle, or paid yearly?
The Motor Vehicle Excise Tax applies to the sale of every motor vehicle that must be registered in the State of New Mexico. We presume that every time a vehicle is titled, a sale has occurred and the motor vehicle excise tax is due.

The tax is 3% of the price paid for the vehicle less any trade-in credit. For non-dealer sales, however, the N.A.D.A. value is used if the declared purchase price of the vehicle is lower than 80% of the N.A.D.A. average trade-in or wholesale value.

Then yearly registration is about $32.00 per year, you save a bit if you do 2 years. Online etc

info: https://webapps.mvd.newmexico.gov/On...ewal/Home.aspx

Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
NICE! BEST COL calculator I've seen! UR AWESOME MR GEEK!
I am moving to Albuquerque soon probably so I have done quite a bit of research!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Quote:
Is NM a gas "spike" state, or are the prices pretty consistant?
Gas in the Albuquerque area is some of the cheapest in the nation. It was $2.89 per gallon today at our local (discount) gas station. Check out GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada for comparisons with other cities and states. We have some spiking but IMO not as much in many other states.

Quote:
I feel like there has got to be a catch . Right now, I'm thinking everyone should move to NM.
The NM state nickname is "The Land of Enchantment" but some call it "The Land of Entrapment." I believe it really depends on a couple of factors:

- Are you well off economically or not here?
- Are you physically active and an outdoors person?

If the answer to these two questions is yes, this place may be a perfect match for you and you'll love it. If the answer to one or both is no, the chances are much more likely you will be unhappy here.

NM also has a very different vibe than most of the rest of the US (IMO Alaska, where I grew up, comes closest to matching it). It's a very live and let live environment, with a laid back feeling exuded by both the place and the people living here. Some people confuse that with laziness and there is certainly some of the manana attitude among a significant percentage of long time residents. If you don't like that, cannot fit into the slower pace of the place or think you need to try to change others around you after you get here, you likely won't last.

NMHacker's comments are dead on. ABQ and NM in general are not perfect places. But for some people, my wife and me included, it is the perfect place for them. Great Bourdain quotes, Hacker. I really like them, especially the second one. Like Alaska, NM is still the frontier in many ways. Some embrace this environment while it makes others uncomfortable. IMO self-reliant/motivated people who accept personal responsibility, don't mind working hard to get where they want to go, treat others according to the golden rule, and take life as it comes at them will do great here. But it's not typical USA, instead it's one of the most foreign places you'll find in this country. Some love it and some hate it. Some get tired, either quickly or over time, of the poverty, poor attitude toward education, etc., that are substantial issues in NM.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:05 AM

89 posts, read 270,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
NMHacker's comments are dead on. ABQ and NM in general are not perfect places. But for some people, my wife and me included, it is the perfect place for them. Great Bourdain quotes, Hacker. I really like them, especially the second one. Like Alaska, NM is still the frontier in many ways. Some embrace this environment while it makes others uncomfortable. IMO self-reliant/motivated people who accept personal responsibility, don't mind working hard to get where they want to go, treat others according to the golden rule, and take life as it comes at them will do great here. But it's not typical USA, instead it's one of the most foreign places you'll find in this country. Some love it and some hate it. Some get tired, either quickly or over time, of the poverty, poor attitude toward education, etc., that are substantial issues in NM.
I would agree with this sentiment...... I heard a saying once that "New Mexico chooses you, as much as you choose it". I believe that wholeheartedly. Lived nearly all my life on the east coast. Moved here coming up on a year ago now. We love it. Loved it from day 1. I'm fairly well traveled and been to many cites and states in the US (only state I haven't been to is ND). I remember traveling to ABQ about 10 years ago.... It was one of the few cities that (while I only stayed for a few days) gave my an immediate feeling of "I could live here". Most places are cool, very few give you that "this could be home feeling". ABQ did. Had no thought of moving there then, so it was just a thought. In fact, had a very good job opportunity here not presented itself, I never would have moved here.

Now, for me it is a perfect situation. I love the area, make a very good living (along with my wife), live in a very safe area in a beautiful home, have grown children so no worries about school, love the sun, more of a mountain guy then a beach guy, etc..... You get the point. For me personally (and my family for that matter), the set up was there to come to NM and thrive. If I were in a different personal situation, I might hate it here. If I wasn't completely sick of that east coast "sense of urgency" in every aspect of your life, I WOULD DEFINITELY hate it here. It's laid back, much easier living (IMO). That doesn't mean it's perfect (no place is), but it may be closer then where you currently live. Every situation is different. Unless I had a specific marketable (desirable skill), I would NOT come here without employment. NM is a poor state. Being poor here would not be a great situation. Making a decent living though makes for a TOTALLY different experience (IMO).

I would def. encourage anyone looking to move here to come here. Spend a few days (even a week). In that time, you'll probably get a feel for the pulse of this city, and the new life that awaits you. If it's positive.... go for it. If not, stay away........ If it's neutral....... it a crap shoot. May grow on you, or you may grow to hate it here.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Text change for user.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
The longer I am here, the more I am convinced that New Mexico is a good place to live cheap, if that is what you want or your situation forces you to.

Regarding vehicles fees, at least compared to Illinois, they are way cheap here, I even got a choice of 3 different license plates all at the same price!! But when you look for insurance, you might have to pay more due to all the claims companies pay out in this state, or so I was told..

Housing is a mixed bag of tricks. Lots of low cost places to be found if you are willing to look and have some common sense. If I had to do it again, I would not have moved down here south of Albuquerque, but would have moved back to southeast NM, where there are actually jobs and chances of employment for those of us who are not bi-lingual. Don't move to this state unless you have some $$ or are willing to live cheap. But property taxes are laughably small, a fraction of what I was paying in IL. Utility bills are lower too. A nice thing about NM is that you don't need to run the furnace as often in the winter, nor run the cooler as often in the summer. in Illinois, something was running year around due to the sticky, dripping humidity or bitter sub-zero cold and the money kept flowing out.

Food costs are the same here as anywhere. Hard to find a good traditional roast beef sandwich and the girl at Denny's will give you the "look" when you try to order French dressing, but lots of other great things to eat. But if you do not like Mexican food, you are missing out on a lot of great stuff, and you will not be happy here if you are not open minded about new tastes..

The people here are what makes this state unique. As a previous poster mentioned, New Mexico is the most foreign place to live in the US, with the extensive Hispanic and Native cultural influences here dominating over any other cultural influence. I actually love the idea that people can do pretty much what they want out here, a very refreshing way of life from the restricted and regulated places I have lived before. But if you come from those type of places and either have not lived here before, or feel people here will be or become the same way as back home, you will not be happy...

Last edited by CountryCarr; 10-27-2013 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
10.) Is car insurance cheap, medium, expensive compared to other state?
Looks like it would be medium. But average rates really depends on many factors.

From The most and least expensive states for car insurance in 2013 | Insure.com 2013 state rankings of car insurance rates:
Most expensive is #1 Louisiana
Least expensive is #51 Maine
New Mexico is #28
See average rates for more than 750 vehicles by states here: Compare car insurance premiums on 750 models - MSN Money

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM

42 posts, read 77,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
The longer I am here, the more I am convinced that New Mexico is a good place to live cheap, if that is what you want or your situation forces you to.

Regarding vehicles fees, at least compared to Illinois, they are way cheap here, I even got a choice of 3 different license plates all at the same price!! But when you look for insurance, you might have to pay more due to all the claims companies pay out in this state, or so I was told..

Housing is a mixed bag of tricks. Lots of low cost places to be found if you are willing to look and have some common sense. If I had to do it again, I would not have moved down here south of Albuquerque, but would have moved back to southeast NM, where there are actually jobs and chances of employment for those of us who are not bi-lingual. Don't move to this state unless you have some $$ or are willing to live cheap. But property taxes are laughably small, a fraction of what I was paying in IL. Utility bills are lower too. A nice thing about NM is that you don't need to run the furnace as often in the winter, nor run the cooler as often in the summer. in Illinois, something was running year around due to the sticky, dripping humidity or bitter sub-zero cold and the money kept flowing out.

Food costs are the same here as anywhere. Hard to find a good traditional roast beef sandwich and the girl at Denny's will give you the "look" when you try to order French dressing, but lots of other great things to eat. But if you do not like Mexican food, you are missing out on a lot of great stuff, and you will not be happy here if you are not open minded about new tastes..

The people here are what makes this state unique. As a previous poster mentioned, New Mexico is the most foreign place to live in the US, with the extensive Hispanic and Native cultural influences here dominating over any other cultural influence. I actually love the idea that people can do pretty much what they want out here, a very refreshing way of life from the restricted and regulated places I have lived before. But if you come from those type of places and either have not lived here before, or feel people here will be or become the same way as back home, you will not be happy...
I have to second this post, it's dead on in my opinion. This is an excellent state to live cheaply if you so desire, a large percentage of the state does just that, people just don't have money so the local and state governments have to be reasonable, the polar opposite of California or other highly regulated states, but the only reason this is the case is because the state is very low income it's not because there is some inherent belief in being a low cost state.

As the above states, don't come here if you don't have money or a good paying job. Have lived in this state for much of my life and it's very easy to fall from middle class to low income if you lose a job.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM

444 posts, read 820,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post

Thanks for saying where your from. It's nice to hear from someone coming from the midwest. I started in Ohio. I love Ohio, but the weather is TOXIC. And comes with TOXIC utility bills. I would really like to find somewhere comparable, but less humid and less yucky weather. I hope the hiring manager picks me!

Out of curiosity does any one have an idea about why it snows there? I saw a youtube video, and looked up yearly snow fall. I was rather surprised. I thought Albuquerque, New Mexico would be like Phoenix, Arizona. But that is not the case!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Thanks for saying where your from. It's nice to hear from someone coming from the midwest. I started in Ohio. I love Ohio, but the weather is TOXIC. And comes with TOXIC utility bills. I would really like to find somewhere comparable, but less humid and less yucky weather. I hope the hiring manager picks me!

Out of curiosity does any one have an idea about why it snows there? I saw a youtube video, and looked up yearly snow fall. I was rather surprised. I thought Albuquerque, New Mexico would be like Phoenix, Arizona. But that is not the case!
Elevation. The city of Albuquerque is at 5,312'. The elevation of Phoenix is 1,142'. The mean elevation for the state is about 5,700'. The lowest point in New Mexico is 2,842'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque