Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 AM

125 posts, read 159,023 times

Advertisements

By a ten point margin, Albuquerque voters rejected a law that would have banned abortions beyond twenty weeks of gestation.

http://www.abqjournal.com/304288/news/abq-news/abq-clerk-aggressive-protesters-draw-complaints.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 AM

568 posts, read 961,738 times
Good. Now women who have been determined to be carrying a fetus that is deformed can make the decision that is right for their family.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
I'm just glad it's over. People have tried to get me started on a debate with this topic. I'm Switzerland (and didn't vote), and I don't talk about abortion and I can't think of a more worse topic of discussion. The End.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,399,494 times
I'm happy ABQ voters came out and defended women's rights, even though I believe it was an illegal bill that would have been struck down in the courts had it passed. This thing was in the national news and the whole country was watching to see which way ABQ went. Apparently this was the first time in the country that a municipality voted on abortion.

If you had seen some of the demonstrators from out-of-state who were in favor of the ban, and the kinds of things they were doing on the UNM campus, you would have run, not walked, to the polls to vote against it!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
As far as I know late term abortions are done for medical, not personal, reasons. The state (i.e. the rest of us) has no place in the medical decisions made by an individual as advised by their doctor.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As far as I know late term abortions are done for medical, not personal, reasons. The state (i.e. the rest of us) has no place in the medical decisions made by an individual as advised by their doctor.
That's precisely the reason abortion (along with a host of other issues) should never have been made a political issue to start with. Ever.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM

42 posts, read 77,946 times
Glad it's over didn't vote because didn't have an opinion either way, but there was alot of out of state people that seemed to be involved which turned me off to the whole thing.

I wonder why they targeted ABQ as this seemed to be driven by out of state people on the ground/radio/media etc, perhaps they thought the catholic angle would give it a greater chance of passing?
Either way this is a very divisive issue which needs to be left alone as it's going nowhere.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,097,977 times
It was a good election with a good turn-out. I'm glad people actually turned out for this one!

Also in this election: Diane Gibson narrowly defeated Janice Arnold-Jones in District 7..

All in all, glad to see people engaged, and hope we never have to have this debate in Albuquerque again

Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 AM

269 posts, read 783,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguy148 View Post
Glad it's over didn't vote because didn't have an opinion either way, but there was alot of out of state people that seemed to be involved which turned me off to the whole thing.

I wonder why they targeted ABQ as this seemed to be driven by out of state people on the ground/radio/media etc, perhaps they thought the catholic angle would give it a greater chance of passing?
Either way this is a very divisive issue which needs to be left alone as it's going nowhere.
You would have hated being a Californian during Prop 8. Hundreds of millions in out-of-state dollars poured in for its support. It was on commercials, billboards, the news...I thought I would be so glad when the vote was over, but after it passed there were multiple protests to repeal it...followed by more commercials, billboards, etc!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
You would have hated being a Californian during Prop 8. Hundreds of millions in out-of-state dollars poured in for its support. It was on commercials, billboards, the news...I thought I would be so glad when the vote was over, but after it passed there were multiple protests to repeal it...followed by more commercials, billboards, etc!
Oddly enough, Blake's Lotaburger's ownership (Blake's is NM only for all intents and purposes, even though they've been in Arizona and are expanding into TX) put a fair amount of corporate money into that (supporting Prop 8, which outlawed gay marriage in California).

Since I don't appreciate when out-of-state money futzes with our local government, I choose to go elsewhere to get my hamburgers in reciprocity.

There was some local grassroots support for that late-term ban, but the cost of holding this election (not only to rent space and pay volunteer poll workers, but the voters having to take time out of their day and gas out of their tank to participate) was disproportionately borne by those opposed to it. They say it cost city taxpayers $600k. Our tax dollars should not go to special elections with deliberately confusing and inflammatory language.

A big hearty "you reap what you sow" to the remaining 4 Republican city councilors- a previously uninspiring and underfunded D candidate was ushered in solely because of their insistence on this issue. Would not be surprised if it costs them each 5 percentage points in their individual races in 2 or 4 years- even many of the pro-ban voters hated this election and the way it was conducted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque