Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,682,975 times

Advertisements

Here's some information on how companies choose locations. http://www.greatamericanjobsscam.com/chapter-2.pdf

What can ABQ and NM do to improve in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguy148 View Post
The Phoenix metro area has scored some big wins as of late, the big General Motors innovation center also comes to mind, 600+ well paying information systems jobs now the Apple site.

My mother in law lives in the area and we visit often, and frankly it's just a better area in my opinion for the large companies such as the above, a nice airport, good transportation infrastructure, and whatever you may think of the AZ government, it's a government that is committed to growth and the entire area just feels like there are economic opportunities to be had.

I don't think the same is true about ABQ, I've had people complain to me from out of state about the airport and the need for multiple connections to get here, while it may seem like no big deal the people who make these decisions about to were to locate pay attention to that kind of stuff.
Phoenix metro is 4.5x larger than ABQ. There's no way our airport could have the amount of flights/connections as Phoenix.

We could improve more on the infrastructure front. The UP intermodal facility south of Las Cruces might help things once it comes online. BNSF is improving their capacity as well http://www.railresource.com/content/?p=5038

Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 AM

42 posts, read 77,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
And what's to keep Apple from leaving Mesa when the next place gives them a better deal?
I don't believe Apple just picked Mesa because of the tax advantage , other companies such as GM are also opening up shared services centers in the area.

As has been mentioned before the airport, transportation infrastructure also make a difference, not to mention the raw components for said Apple devices will probably be coming in via the port of Long Beach from Asia or maybe even Mexico , this gives an advantage to the Phoenix area given it's relative proximity to those areas.

ABQ has a long way to go before it can score good paying jobs in mass such as the above, as someone mentioned we get call centers and what not but those are at the very best 30K jobs, it's also important to note some residents are anti growth and would rather keep the current system of things which is also a valid point.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM

42 posts, read 77,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Phoenix metro is 4.5x larger than ABQ. There's no way our airport could have the amount of flights/connections as Phoenix.

We could improve more on the infrastructure front. The UP intermodal facility south of Las Cruces might help things once it comes online. BNSF is improving their capacity as well BNSF To Improve Track, Rail Capacity in New Mexico | Railroad Industry News and Information
Not saying our airport could/should ever be as large, simply stating why the Phoenix area has an advantage on that point. I think the Las Cruces area is better positioned for growth than ABQ given its relative proximity to the border and its warmer climate in general.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,037,489 times
Interesting article I read the other day regarding the Belen rail yard build up.

Spencer: New Mexico can land e-commerce, export centers - Albuquerque Business First

Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times
If Albuquerque could get more than 50% of its employees to show up on time and not take days off for dark, scary looking rain clouds, I bet we could attract some more jobs.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM

350 posts, read 765,339 times
Good GRT story. Old, but fits in here...

New Mexico's Gross Receipts Tax Offers a Cautionary Tale | Heartlander Magazine

Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,406,706 times
If you build an effective education system in NM, they will come. Lousy schools are the elephants in the economic room.

Last edited by nmguy; 11-26-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
If you build an effective education system in NM, they will come. Lousy schools are the elephants in the economic room.
How are they to improve when many of the parents don't even value education? We need to start educating parents on the value of education, not just expect the schools to all pick up the slack.

Dropping out can lead to a hard life | ABQJournal Online

Not to mention that many bright students in NM who go to good schools in NM end up leaving the state to find jobs. It's a chicken/egg problem is it not? There are a lot of issues at play here, and just boiling it down to "bad schools" doesn't add up.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,406,706 times
Funkymonkey, you are right: it is a complex problem. It's so big, I wouldn't know where to start trying to rectify it.

Getting parents, educators, and politicians all to agree on an improvement plan is a seemingly impossible task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque