Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 11:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times

Advertisements

I moved away 3 years ago with many of the complaints other people have cited about Albuquerque--- crime, the economy, etc. When I left I felt Albuquerque was the worst place a person could land. Now I think Salt Lake City Utah, the place I moved to, is the worst place. I won't go in to it, but I'm wondering-- would I be better off if I moved back? Or have I forgotten how bad Albuquerque can really be? Salt Lake is a whiter, safer, cleaner, "nicer" town and I have never been so miserable in my life. The Mormons are mean, I miss the art and diversity, and I just feel real out of it. Like weird. Yet I read on the board that some people think Albuquerque is weird too, and it is. Much of the time when I lived there I didn't feel totally connected in some way, and I am afraid that if I move back I will feel that way again.

Has Albuquerque really gotten any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Well It has and it hasn't. Albuquerque's economy has greatened, and several developments have been built/are being built. Crime is still a problem. I think people don't realize how good Albuquerque really is until they move away, and then come back. Perhaps taking a trip back out here, and staying a week will give you an idea of what is going on. Keep in mind, three years is not a long time, so there can't be astronomical change.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,559 times
I started feeling like I didn't belong when I moved from the midwest to the east when I was twelve. For thirty years I heard "you're not from here are you?" When I moved to Santa Fe, I felt at least in New Mexico the diversity makes for a more open atmosphere of acceptance for all kinds of people. Although being working middle class in Santa Fe made me somewhat an oddity :-) I would shudder to live in a place where everyone has to look and act the same--even if safe sounds like hell. If I move back it will be to ABQ and I will find a way to get involved in the community (volunteer, Unitarian Universalist church, dance, learn Spanish, join outdoor clubs, be involved in local history and take art classes.) What makes you feel connected? Sometimes I think American culture is looking for a perfection that doesn't exist and we don't commit to one place. We have so many options it keeps us moving on.

I find the people in ABQ warm and friendly. When I visit I go with my friend to her Sweet Adelines practice and talk to women who live alone in ABQ and they don't consider the crime awful--I'm sure they are careful but they feel safe at home. And everyone I meet in NM seems to be doing some form of art. Here, everyone is going to movies. It rains, go to movies.

And talk about a bad economy, I moved to Washington four years ago to live closer to my daughter and couldn't find even a temp job (and last year my daughter and family moved to PA--thanks dear!) I found a nice inexpensive place to live while going to college but unless I find a job I love in the next six months when I graduate, I plan to move to ABQ and then stay put--get involved by volunteering--giving to the community--apply for grad school at UNM. So much more to do in ABQ (and sun) then where I'm at. Good luck Catrinac! Sometimes it takes leaving to find your way home.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Well i personally feel connected because I was raised here and have lived here all my life. But people in Albuquerque are very inviting accepting people, in my opinion. There has been so many people moving here in the last ten years that you wouldn't really be the only one "new". So that might be reassuring.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
OP, instead of trying to force yourself to fit a city, why make a list of what YOU really want from your new home, then rank those wants. Figure out what you must have and what's negotiable. Once you know that about yourself, it's much easier to look at cities for relocation, and find a match. And when you visit the right city, it will feel right. It may end up being ABQ, it may not. But I can guarantee until you know what YOU want, you won't fit anywhere. Been there, done that too many times myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque