U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM

252 posts, read 365,772 times

Advertisements

Hi , i have been Albuquerque once but only for a like an hour. Every time i visit New Mexico though my family passes through ABQ mainly because my family wants go skiing or river rafting etc. I have all been over rest of the state though , which is good. Does ABQ have a lot crime with gangs. Is there safe areas around the university?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM

995 posts, read 2,326,532 times
It's as safe as walking into a 7/11 in any part of the country durning the late hours of night.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM

89 posts, read 226,526 times
Yes, Albuquerque is safe. You have to exercise the same precautions that you would in any similar sized city, but that's about it. It's somewhat sketchy reputation on here is mostly fueled by folks that really are not well traveled and don't have a really good idea about what to expect in bigger urban areas.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,828,743 times
I wouldn't worry too much. I lived near UNM when I attended the university when the crime rate was much higher than it is now.

In Albuquerque in 1996 there were 70 homicides, in 2013 that had fallen to 29. (By comparison, El Paso had 22 homicides in 2012 and they're ranked as one of the safest cities in the country).

I think a lot of the posts you see about crime are based on some of the city's past and no longer relevant. Even property crime, which is higher than US average, is a lot lower than it used to be (and not even registering on the worst for bigger cities).

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM

thats good, that area has improved. When i visited ABQ for an hour some areas were decent while some areas were kind of shady. I used to live in honolulu and it was registered one of the "safest" cities and that couldn't be farther from the truth , that place has some sketchy areas , they had huge meth problem back in the early 2000's . So i think those lists are somewhat flawed. I also heard from people that are from el paso that its really ghetto but the person who told me that lies a lot so I m not so sure. I ll take your word for it about ABQ. Thanks for the Info.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,828,743 times
ABQ does have "shady" areas, as most cities do. I lived in the "student ghetto" and didn't have problems, aside from bums asking for change.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 PM

thats alright.. I lived in the dorms in honolulu and it happened to be in worst area in honolulu. it was mostly alright but there were few scary situations , I got pick pocketed once during the day and i got chased by crack heads with pipes who trying to robb me late at night.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,585 times
Right now, the city of ABQ rates 4th in the country for violent crime. Higher than NYC, higher than New Orleans...That rating is based on population. we have been floored at the crime we have seen in the 18 months we have lived here. The actual crime, aggressive behavior of people in public and the police presence. We are moving to the northern most part of town and soon. Don't think I'm not well traveled, or that I am unaware. I am from New Orleans and have never been any where near a shooting site, yellow taped off swarming with cops. The first 5 months we were here, I drove through 2, one of them about 100 yards from my back yard, as the crow flies. You need to pay close attention to the part of town you intend on living in. Sure murders are down, but violent crime in general is very high in this city so do not pay attention to people who say it is safe. It depends on where you are and the time of day. Pay attention to your surrounds, be aware and behave thoughtfully.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 AM

24,138 posts, read 38,895,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrobine View Post
Right now, the city of ABQ rates 4th in the country for violent crime. Higher than NYC, higher than New Orleans...
Right now I really would like to see where you got that crime rate...

------------------------------------------------------------

10 Most Dangerous Cities In America in 2013

Every year the FBI compiles a big database of crime in the United States of America. It then uses those data points from the database to rank the most dangerous cities in America. Using that list, we have picked ten cities that have stood out the most in terms of violent crimes.

10 Most Dangerous Cities In America in 2013

Albuquerque is not included....

United States cities by crime rate

2012 Calendar Year Ratios of Crime Per 100,000 Population

Crime statistics are listed for U.S. cities with a population of 250,000 or greater. Rates are based on cases per 100,000 people for all of calendar year 2012.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Albuquerque is listed as number 29 for violent crime:

Old 01-11-2014, 03:38 PM

what neighborhoods are reasonably safe in ABQ but somewhat are close the university or decent ie places that you can walk around during the day or somewhat late at night and be less likely to be mugged or assaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque