Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,089 times

Advertisements

I have heard Albuquerque is very dog friendly??? My daughter, her 1 year old baby, and I are relocating in a few months and will be looking for a 3 bed 2 ba that allows a small dog. Also, she's in college, but I'm looking a restaurant job as a cook. What are the salaries, costs of rentals, and what are areas to look for and/or avoid.
We can spend up to 800 but would prefer to stay at or under if possible.

Suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
I wish Albuquerque was more of a "city" than one big little town.

Albuquerque has no decent downtown / urban core.

Albuquerque is slow and not progressive.

Albuquerque is more suburban than anything.

Crime in Albuquerque is terrible, as with the police force.

Most high schools are mediocre outside a few.

UNM isn't top tier, but isn't at the bottom of the bucket list.

Sports really aren't anything to brag about outside of college. Lobo Basketball is where it's at. Even than though..

Most people in Albuquerque are completely comfortable with average.

There are no pro sports in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque can be unexciting place for younger people.

There are not a lot of opportunities in Albuquerque.

Albuquereque is very isolated.

Being in Albuquerque is like being in a Time warp 50 years ago.

People in Albuquerque don't like change.

Outside the culture/history/food and a few key areas there is not much to talk about.

Albuquerque's gov is corrupt.

Albuquerque lacking in water thus making it difficult once the population starts to grow

Albuquerque needs to be renovated and updated.

If you are looking for laid back / live and let live/ culture/history rich, good food and a retirement community. Albuquerque is it.

Last edited by cityKing; 03-26-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,444 times
Well there's a list of useless generalizations.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
As I mentioned in Post #40, ABU is looking better and better. We have had a very cold, even by our standards, winter. This morning it was 16 deg. F outside. We have to do some serious planning for snow birding next winter. We would drive out from New Hampshire so we would have a car and potentially a big scooter for transportation. Where can I look to find a small apartment in the Albuquerque area for a four month rental. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Well there's a list of useless generalizations.

Took the words out of my post.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Default Barney Fife Rule

There is a lot of attention given to shootings and gun violence in Albuquerque. Actually the murder rate in Albuquerque (MSA) is comparable to San Antonio, Colorado Springs, Amarillo, Wichita and Phoenix (MSAs) and less than Oklahoma City, Omaha, Tucson, Tulsa and Topeka so we are not in record-breaking territory.

That being said...I do wonder...as a newer transplant to the area...what's up with the gun violence??? It isn't any worse here than other cities but often the details seem so very bizarre. I lived in other places including a one-time "murder capital" and it was sort of a background noise and you knew to avoid places or situations. Lovers' quarrels, drug fights, bar fights were often the cause. Maybe it's partially the media but here it seems like there is a bunch of crazy stuff. There are people shooting at or trying to ambush police...police shooting at offenders (yes, some for seemingly minor offenses)...high speed chases with shots fired. Waving a weapon around seems to be the first option for disputes. Really? There's no other way to resolve disputes?

I think everybody needs to take a time out. Maybe the Barney Fife rule should be imposed...we all get one (and only one) bullet but we have to keep it in our pocket.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There is a lot of attention given to shootings and gun violence in Albuquerque. Actually the murder rate in Albuquerque (MSA) is comparable to San Antonio, Colorado Springs, Amarillo, Wichita and Phoenix (MSAs) and less than Oklahoma City, Omaha, Tucson, Tulsa and Topeka so we are not in record-breaking territory.

That being said...I do wonder...as a newer transplant to the area...what's up with the gun violence??? It isn't any worse here than other cities but often the details seem so very bizarre. I lived in other places including a one-time "murder capital" and it was sort of a background noise and you knew to avoid places or situations. Lovers' quarrels, drug fights, bar fights were often the cause. Maybe it's partially the media but here it seems like there is a bunch of crazy stuff. There are people shooting at or trying to ambush police...police shooting at offenders (yes, some for seemingly minor offenses)...high speed chases with shots fired. Waving a weapon around seems to be the first option for disputes. Really? There's no other way to resolve disputes?

I think everybody needs to take a time out. Maybe the Barney Fife rule should be imposed...we all get one (and only one) bullet but we have to keep it in our pocket.
Honestly I think a lot of it is the local media. They like to sensationalize everything so much and don't even try to be balanced in their reporting. Then they beat a story to death if there isn't anything else going on.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
I remember being told not to be outside after the stroke of midnight on NYE. Supposedly there were so many people shooting up into the air you were at risk of injury due to a falling bullet. They also said any police on duty park under overpasses during that brief NYE period, for the same reason.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Another dubious achievement...City continues to loose jobs.

City continues to lose jobs | KOB.com

Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Another dubious achievement...City continues to loose jobs.

City continues to lose jobs | KOB.com
To be fair, Tucson lost more jobs during the same period if you include farm jobs (9,700) vs (4,700) for ABQ.

Hopefully the numbers for February which come out tomorrow will be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque