Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,800 times

Advertisements

Looking for information on places to fish. I fish from a 12ft fishing kayak. What waters are big enough? I normally target Bass, Crappie, Trout.

TIA

ED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM

nobody huh? no fishing in ABQ? Weird ;-(

Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,615,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edavis31052 View Post
nobody huh? no fishing in ABQ? Weird ;-(
I suppose one might be able to go kayaking (and fishing) in the Rio Grande here in Albuquerque, but the waters usually aren't high enough. I also don't know if its legal to do so or if you'd want to anyway. The Rio Grande is by no means deathly polluted, but it is where the city's treated wastewater empties into.

The only place to go fishing (without a kayak) in the city itself is Tingley Beach on Central Avenue next to the Rio Grande river. There are also nearby artificial fishing spots on Isleta Pueblo and Sandia Pueblo (they are both just outside the city limits). Not being a fisher myself I have no idea what kinds of fish they stock in any of these places, but I do know they are where people I know usually go fishing.

Natural rivers and lakes to fish nearby (possibly in a kayak) are mainly to be found north of Albuquerque around the Jemez and assorted small streams further north past Santa Fe.

To the east of Albuquerque on I-40 Santa Rosa is a popular place for water activities, being known as the "City of Natural Lakes". I don't know for sure if fishing is to be had there and if it is in a natural setting or not, but I assume it is on both accounts.

On these natural places, I'm not pretending to be an expert, just giving some possible leads, so keep that in mind.

FWIW, here's the Google results for the search "kayak fishing near Albuquerque" A few of the first results look like they might give you better information:

https://www.google.com/#q=kayak+fish...ar+albuquerque

Last edited by ABQalex; 01-30-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the info, Alex!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 7,351,523 times
Fenton Lake is popular, about 1 1/2 hours from ABQ:

EMNRD State Parks Division

And Eagle Nest Lake is beautiful, 3 hrs. from ABQ, you can park your kayak on it now and go ice fishing:

EMNRD State Parks Division

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM

923 posts, read 2,415,048 times
My brother is a huge fishing buff. He prefers Navajo Lake. Closer to ABQ is Conchas lake. He goes there when he doesn't want to travel as far.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,734 times
Cochair lake by far! I love it

Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 AM

Thanks again for the info, guys!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque