Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
My kid in ABQ, two degrees, pretty much out of work over two years now. She's even being careful not to appear too overqualified when applying for those types of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
And that has what to do with someone that is a teacher and a partner that is in nursing? Both of which jobs are plentiful in Abq. Do you ever participate in this sub forum or only drop drive by articles?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
My kid in ABQ, two degrees, pretty much out of work over two years now. She's even being careful not to appear too overqualified when applying for those types of jobs.

She's part of that <6% unemployment. I know several people with a couple of degrees that have been gainfully employed for two years or more.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,752 times
Quote:
This is most definitely not a concern for teachers and nurses. In fact, there are more unfilled teacher vacancies across the state and especially in APS and Rio Rancho than ever before.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM

41 posts, read 76,104 times
Well, that Forbes article was a surprise but i'm really going to hope you all are right about teachers and nurses! My partner has seen nursing jobs she likes and she will be the one with the higher salary. I know I'm taking a hefty pay cut. But in the longer view we are looking for a place to spend our retirement years eventually.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM

This is a bit of an update. My partner has been offered and is taking a good opportunity here that will help her in the future when we move to New Mexico so we are putting off moving for a year or so. I also was giving a surprising opportunity to add to my resume so it workd for both of us. We both need to move into the best levels of pay our jobs will allow in New Mexico, since I will take a major paycut most likely. BUT I'm disappointed in the fact that we have to postpone our move for a year to 16 months. Especially as I sit at home on a snow day in an unusual cold snap, having shoveled out walkways and cars all morning! At least we're not in Boston!
I've been looking at the possibilities for continuing graduate-level education at UMN and am fascinated by thier Art and Ecology program. I was wondering if anyone knew something about the program but maybe I should start another thread.
Hope everyone stays warm!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 PM

150 posts, read 253,779 times
My husband and I were in the exact same position a year and a half ago. We made the same decision as you and your spouse, and it turned out to be one of the wisest choices we've ever made.

At the point when we decided we wanted to move to Albuquerque a year and a half ago, we both decided to take jobs locally that we thought would build our resumes. As a result, I found a *better* job than I would've been able to get in Silicon Valley because that particular type of job would be overwhelmingly competitive in California simply because so many people want to live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My husband is still waiting for the right moment to propose telecommuting from his current California job, but either way, he's in a much better position based on his current skill profile versus a year and a half ago to successfully obtain a telecommuting arrangement (because he is now harder to replace). If that fails, his resume now looks amazing, so he will be in an extremely good position applying for jobs in Albuquerque.

For anyone considering moving to Albuquerque from a place like Silicon Valley or Manhattan where cutting-edge jobs are plentiful, delaying your move in order to take a local job first that will build cutting-edge skills could be the smartest delayed-gratification move you could make.

Networking is also a great idea.

And guess what? There is a meetup.com group called "Albuquerque lesbian professionals" that has almost 600 members! Networking doesn't get much easier and more fun than that! The LGBT community in Albuquerque is wonderfully welcoming, in keeping with the overall friendly character of the city.

Last edited by Abraxas; 02-17-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 AM

Thank you, Abraxas. I will check out the group!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque