Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 10,166 times

Advertisements

Let's get this out of the way first:
1. Yes, this is my first post, but only because I forgot what my older user name is. And they don't seem to have an option to recover it...
2. I realize that there are a ton of these posts floating around, but I have a couple of specific questions that I haven't found answers to when reading old posts.

So...moving to ABQ for graduate school soonish and I'm looking for a place to live. I want to live near UNM or within 2 miles. My dream is to park my car and only drive it maybe twice a month. Anyway, here are my questions:

I decided to move before the end of May (May 22) with the hope that traveling prices will be lower. Now I'm wondering if this was a bad decision since the spring semester at UNM doesn't end until mid-May. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do the majority of places become available the beginning of June or do students tend to move out as soon as the semester is over?

Second, I've trolled all of the major apartment finders, but I'm wondering if there are some sites that only locals would know about. I know the best way is to walk around, but I'm looking for some very specific things. I don't want to live in a complex. The ideal place is a house or casita with a washer and dryer or w/d hookups and off-street parking.

And looking at crime maps around UNM is scary. Is it worth it to live further away and take the bus? Keep in mind: I HATE driving. I have a 30 minute commute right now for my job and it's absolutely horrible.

I forgot to mention. I currently live on the other side of the US so I can't just visit whenever.

I may think of one or two other questions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
You might check: The University of New Mexico Off-Campus Housing they have over a hundred listings of various rentals with a search criteria.

On campus housing: UNM Traditional Halls, Suites & Apartments

Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
Some of the graduate departments might keep listings of housing for grad students.

I know a lot of students stick around all year so there might not be a large increase in vacancy in May/June as you might expect at some schools. When I lived in the area I typically had a year lease.

In-unit laundry will be harder to find, off-street parking should be available most places.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 8,069 times
Hi unmbound2014,
What are you going to study at UNM and what do you think of the school? I have narrowed down my search to UNM or UA for graduate study in Spanish, but I haven't decided yet. (Might depend on who will have me

Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM

27 posts, read 27,823 times
North of campus is really nice, but going to be pricey. South of campus there are definitely some nice areas, but it can be sketchy and very hit and miss. Don't go too far south (I would say no further than just past Coal maybe...). If you go southeast of campus you again get back into a better area (Nob Hill) but again price will increase. Some of the neighborhoods around Silver just south and southwest of campus seem pretty decent. Public transportation blows here, so if you really want to be able to walk to school and restaurants/bars/grocery, then south of campus would be your best bet. It's just tricky because it can be a little sketchy but can also be nice. Most people have roommates in bigger houses, but there are also a lot of places that have a small house in the back that you could rent.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 AM

132 posts, read 291,264 times
Don't rule out downtown. There are several apartment projects under construction that should open but not until the late summer. The Rapid Ride bus service takes about 5 minutes to get to the campus. I'd recommend downtown or north campus.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 PM

While we're open to anything on a busline, the preference is to be within a mile of campus. 2 miles at the most. Complexes are a last resort even though they are the easiest to find. Being an older graduate student, I don't feel like dealing with 18 year olds.
The UNM off-campus housing was one of the first websites I looked at seeing as it's one of the first websites to pop in when doing a Google search. They have a little over 100 places listed. There are around 60 that are under $900. And the scarcity of details are atrocious. Plus, there are a surprising amount of places listed on there that are 8-10 miles away! Craigslist has been a much better source.
Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm 31 with a boyfriend and 3 cats. I'm not living in dorms or university housing. And I'm not really looking for advice as to what areas of town I should live. I've been researching the areas around UNM for months. I'm just wondering if there are websites with apartment listings that only locals know about. I'm guessing not.

Eyepod: I will be in the Earth and Planetary Sciences department. I love the campus. I think it's gorgeous. As for departments, each one is different so I can't really say much on that. One thing to consider is weather. Albuquerque has more moderate high temperatures compared to Arizona. I think UA has over 100 days with temperatures that are over 90 degrees.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:28 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,432 times
OP, have you looked at The UNM Daily Lobo newspaper classified ads online? There are several categories under the "Housing" link.

New Mexico Daily Lobo :: Classifieds

Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
OP, have you looked at The UNM Daily Lobo newspaper classified ads online? There are several categories under the "Housing" link.

New Mexico Daily Lobo :: Classifieds
I have not! Thanks!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,418 times
I am in Albuquerque looking for rentals and/or houses to buy in the UNM area, and I can share the following:

1) Craigslist listings, even ones constantly updated, are about half the time already rented or unavailable. You will spend a lot of time responding to CL ads and not hearing anything back.

2) The UNM off campus housing website is just as unreliable.

3) There is a lot of misrepresentation on these ads, especially around the issue of bedrooms. I would say that 3/4 of the rentals and houses for sale I have seen have an "illegal" bedroom. And this is even on the realtor's multi-list site, so some of the real estate agents around here are either incompetent or unscrupulous.

For example, we saw a "3 bedroom, 2 bath" house for sale in Spruce Park, priced over $400k. The "master suite" is located in the basement in an illegal space with no fire escape, and it was really shoddily done, too. So this is in reality a 2 bedroom house with 1 bath on the main living level, and another bathroom adjacent a storage area in the basement.

Interesting real estate market, to say the least...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque