Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 PM

28 posts, read 72,390 times

Advertisements

Even though my favourite part of the city would be the NE, and that the NE is considered "the" place to live, I've noticed how little people seem to talk about the Northwest region of the city. That is, the are that is not Rio Rancho but close to it.

I think some people get this idea that the NE is like, the more cultured suburban area of the city and that the NW is kinda a little more generic, kinda chain stores, fast food, people who don't have many books in their house, that kinda thing.

However, since I'm around there a lot as I live in RR and the mall is there, I've found the number of new stores and restuarants, catering to a very broad clientele is impressive in that a lot of it just sprung up overnight. Like the Co-Op organic store. I always envisioned a place like that being on Academy, Downtown, or Nob Hill, not necessarily right off of Ellison. Some neighbourhoods in the NW are as nice as areas in the NE, the only difference being that they are probably largely inhabited by people who might not be able to afford the NE. They're diverse too. They range from starter homes to large houses and I like that. The NE on the other hand, though beautiful, seems to have a sameness throughout.

My family had a house in Ventana Ranch a few years ago, and I always liked the drives through the area.

So given this, why is it the ABQ Westside is not quite as high reputed as the NE and Nob Hill? Is it because it's sort of out in the "boring" mesa instead of the mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Maybe because the type of places you're referring to are relative newcomers to the area? (Just guessing here, I don't know.)

I do know I'm considering moving from the NE to the NW part of town. NW seems to stay up later, NE rolls up the sidewalks at 8:00 pm I'm also seeing much nicer apartments over there, for the same price as I'm paying for a triplex with no pool, no resident events, and no guest parking. Plus there is a non-smoking complex over that way.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 AM

426 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHikingCat View Post
Even though my favourite part of the city would be the NE, and that the NE is considered "the" place to live, I've noticed how little people seem to talk about the Northwest region of the city. That is, the are that is not Rio Rancho but close to it.

I think some people get this idea that the NE is like, the more cultured suburban area of the city and that the NW is kinda a little more generic, kinda chain stores, fast food, people who don't have many books in their house, that kinda thing.

However, since I'm around there a lot as I live in RR and the mall is there, I've found the number of new stores and restuarants, catering to a very broad clientele is impressive in that a lot of it just sprung up overnight. Like the Co-Op organic store. I always envisioned a place like that being on Academy, Downtown, or Nob Hill, not necessarily right off of Ellison. Some neighbourhoods in the NW are as nice as areas in the NE, the only difference being that they are probably largely inhabited by people who might not be able to afford the NE. They're diverse too. They range from starter homes to large houses and I like that. The NE on the other hand, though beautiful, seems to have a sameness throughout.

My family had a house in Ventana Ranch a few years ago, and I always liked the drives through the area.

So given this, why is it the ABQ Westside is not quite as high reputed as the NE and Nob Hill? Is it because it's sort of out in the "boring" mesa instead of the mountains?
There is a Co-Op in Nob Hill. Also one on Rio Grand north of the freeway. I think businesses are starting to realize that more people are moving out there, and since a great number of people don't like traveling from the west to the eat (because it's "too far"), they don't want to lose potential customers. I think that's part of it.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
I like living near downtown, but if I had to I think I might choose the west side over the northeast heights.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:58 AM

28 posts, read 72,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
I like living near downtown, but if I had to I think I might choose the west side over the northeast heights.
Interesting, FM. Why would you choose the Westside over the Heights? I'm not saying there's nothing about the Westside that warrants the choice, I'm trying to argue the opposite.

The most cited reason for someone choosing the Westside is that they either can't afford the heights or find the appeal in getting a bigger house than they might afford in the heights. This is why families in the Westside seem much younger.. they're all starter families with fixed budgets.

But that aside, are there reasons someone would choose the Westside despite having substantial purchasing power in the heights, and if so, why, and if not, why not?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 AM

811 posts, read 2,941,008 times
By neglect I assume your talking about widening streets and such?
Personally I prefer the West side, I lived in the North East Heights for five years when i first moved to ABQ near Juan Tabo & Menaul. It was really convenient, however it's more of a bang for your buck buying a house on the west side rather than the heights. You can buy a NEWER house for 250k on the west side, which will cost you 300k in the heights.

Also the west side seems cleaner and less run down, which some parts of the heights has become. Another thing is the grid system in the heights is full of endless strip centers and that 70's boom city look to it. The West side has what is called town centers where you have clusters of shopping areas, like the Cottonwood Mall area and the West Bluffs power center area. Give the West side another 15 to 20 years to develop out and mature as an area, and the heights will completely become the "old part of town"!!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:12 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Most of what now consists of the West Side did not exist when I first moved here. Whenever I go over to the West Side I am shocked to see streets and traffic where there was empty space before. I find it very disorienting. Since I work on the East Side I like the convenience of living on the East Side. I don't even think about the difference in housing costs. I don't make a lot of money but I would rather pay more for housing which is close to work and not have to contend with the traffic crossing the river back and forth every day. Quality of life to me is much more than being able to afford an extra bedroom or two.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:40 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
There is a Co-Op in Nob Hill. Also one on Rio Grand north of the freeway. I think businesses are starting to realize that more people are moving out there, and since a great number of people don't like traveling from the west to the eat (because it's "too far"), they don't want to lose potential customers. I think that's part of it.
Correct, this is La Montanita Co-op's 5th location and 3rd in town. The original store has always been in Nob Hill.

If you are interested in walkability, bikeability, and ease of mass transit, as well as a "city" walking experience with wider sidewalks and stores facing the street, Nob Hill, Downtown, Old Town, the UNM area, and other nearby spots are really the only options. The West Side is if anything even more car-centric than the Northeast Heights and thus doesn't really appeal to people looking for those amenities. These folks tend to be the trendsetters and taste-makers.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 PM

89 posts, read 270,556 times
I don't know. I live in Ventana West, and I drive by TON'S of new developments every day headed home every day. The area up here is a classic "bedroom" community……. Tons of big, middle-class houses (at first), very few stores/shops……. But don't kid yourself……. At some point, someone will look at that big open space at the corner of Paseo and Unser and say…. "Grocery Store"… Then the little restaurants and other stores will follow. Never fails.

This area is very young still, but make no mistake….. it's not dormant. Lots of developments and houses going up. Houses mean people…… people will mean stores. Simple as that.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHikingCat View Post
Interesting, FM. Why would you choose the Westside over the Heights? I'm not saying there's nothing about the Westside that warrants the choice, I'm trying to argue the opposite.

The most cited reason for someone choosing the Westside is that they either can't afford the heights or find the appeal in getting a bigger house than they might afford in the heights. This is why families in the Westside seem much younger.. they're all starter families with fixed budgets.

But that aside, are there reasons someone would choose the Westside despite having substantial purchasing power in the heights, and if so, why, and if not, why not?
Well not all areas of the west side would appeal to me. I'm thinking the parts that are close to shopping, ie Cottonwood.

I think the view from the westside beats the heights. I also like being more in the valley. I guess a younger demographic also is appealing.

That said, if I didn't live near downtown, I'd live along Rio Grande/Los Ranchos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque